Windows 10: The old Control panel may soon be gone

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 103
    32-bit Windows 10 Pro - Build 1607/14393.51
       18 Oct 2015 #121

    FUD posted in this thread aside ("F"ear, "U"ncertainty and "D"oubt, not Elmer)...

    I like Windows 10 now. A LOT. If they remove Control Panel, I won't care one whit...I can't see what won't be accessible either in that menu posted here or in God Mode (which works great).

    I HATE Windows Store/Metro/whatever apps or whatever they call them now. I use none of them. I even got the Windows Store version of VLC, hated it instantly, and dumped it...I just use the good ol' fashioned regular VLC program for Windows.

    If Microsoft is moving towards Windows Store apps only, that'd be the stupidest thing they ever did in Redmond, and that includes Windows ME. What, they're going to block things like third party productivity suites (OpenOffice and its derivatives, etc.) to force you to subscribe to Office 365? Where are you getting this stuff from?

    If the "SkyNet" end someone describes here happens, and hobbles Windows as bad as he thinks it will...I guess I'll have to get used to whatever flavor of Linux is out there by then.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,467
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       18 Oct 2015 #122

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Still don't get your argument? I liked Windows 8.1, wasn't wrecked as far as I can tell?
    The W8 series market share clearly indicates that the "Market" thinks otherwise.

    Winuser said: View Post
    I have no problem with MS removing CP and moving everything to Settings. I'm sure it won't take long to get familiar with the change.
    Except MS haven't been able to do it, despite spending years working on the W8 series.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    18 Oct 2015 #123

    gator2013 said: View Post
    Microsoft can do whatever they want with W-10, I really don't care. After a full month of W-10 I am perfectly happy running W-8.1 until 2023 and by then no one knows what the computing scene will look like. In the meantime, if and when W-10 offers me something that I need that W-8.1 doesn't provide I may reconsider but I am not going to reinstall W-10 just so I can say I am running W-10. After 1 month I saw everything I needed to see.

    I don't think people really comprehend the extent of what MS means by OS as a service. It means less and less operator control over core functions. You have heard of "dumbing down the electorate" well MS wants to dumb down the users, kind-of-like McDonalds showing a picture of a hamburger and fries on a touchscreen order terminal, that's what the modern apps remind me of.
    Here Hear! I haven't visited this forum for about a month, but what I notice out in the real world (meaning away from this forum), there really isn't all that much excitement about Windows 10. Everywhere I go, see, work or read, it 's still either Windows 7, or else most others have just forsaken PCs altogether and joined the Android or iOS world.

    It's only in this forum where it seems the majority thinks we should all get on the Windows 10 train, get rid of Control Panel, embrace the lesser "new" Start Menu, and see everything else before it as obsolete. I am actually glad that I'm still on Vista (SP2 isn't bad at all on a reasonably powerful PC), and I still prefer Windows 8.1 to 10. In fact 10 looks yecchy. I just don't get what all of the hoopla is, I really don't. So I say for those here that like Windows 10; Great! Enjoy it! But I too will be glad that I have Windows 8.1 until January 2023.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    18 Oct 2015 #124

    gator2013 said: View Post
    You have heard of "dumbing down the electorate" well MS wants to dumb down the users, kind-of-like McDonalds showing a picture of a hamburger and fries on a touchscreen order terminal, that's what the modern apps remind me of.
    Microsoft does need to be seen as making a serious effort to compete with Google and Apple. The mobile interface is what MOST users want. But it's too late for Microsoft. They reek of being an "also ran". And honestly, I think especially amongst iPhone users, there's a tad of satisfaction that Apple is kicking Microsoft's butt.

    For those such as you and I, who want a desktop/Explorer-style interface, just stick with Windows 8.1 or 7. But most people want a mobile interface; it's not "dumbed down", it's just simple and for those that are fans of that type of app-style, it what they always wanted. They really never wanted to use "computers" in the first place. They only used Windows before because they had to.

    Mind you, most are happy with the Google or Apple interface they already have. Microsoft isn't even on their radar.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    18 Oct 2015 #125

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Why wouldn't they? Simplicity in the UI? A common UI across devices? Launching IE would be the same on all devices, why have it different? Opening the Weather App would be the same, again, why make it different. The list goes on. The differences would take care of them selves.
    Actually, even Apple knows that Mac users want a different feel and experience that iOS users. Users are smart enough to want different things on different devices and they can adapt. However, the number of people that want a true desktop environment is dwindling. Before phones, one "had" to use a desktop to access the web, music, videos and documents. But the same users are no longer bound to such restrictions. Only a few really need what a true desktop gives. Most are happy with their devices.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 230
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
       18 Oct 2015 #126

    CmmTch said: View Post
    I prefer CP to the new settings...
    You are ABSOLUTELY right. I agree with you 100%.



    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Also I bet some software person, comes out with a replacement as soon as Microsoft removes CP
    This is true... Maybe MSFT will learn when third party developers start making programs to replace the Control Panel, just like they did with the start menu in Windows 8.

    Inundated said: View Post
    FUD posted in this thread aside ("F"ear, "U"ncertainty and "D"oubt, not Elmer)...

    I like Windows 10 now. A LOT. If they remove Control Panel, I won't care one whit...I can't see what won't be accessible either in that menu posted here or in God Mode (which works great).
    I don't think people understand that "God Mode" is just a bunch of shortcuts to the Control Panel. If the Control Panel is gone, so is God Mode.

    Inundated said: View Post
    I HATE Windows Store/Metro/whatever apps or whatever they call them now. I use none of them. I even got the Windows Store version of VLC, hated it instantly, and dumped it...I just use the good ol' fashioned regular VLC program for Windows.

    If Microsoft is moving towards Windows Store apps only, that'd be the stupidest thing they ever did in Redmond, and that includes Windows ME. What, they're going to block things like third party productivity suites (OpenOffice and its derivatives, etc.) to force you to subscribe to Office 365? Where are you getting this stuff from?

    If the "SkyNet" end someone describes here happens, and hobbles Windows as bad as he thinks it will...I guess I'll have to get used to whatever flavor of Linux is out there by then.
    No, of course this hasn't been confirmed. But the speculation is in the air, and it seems plausible considering what they're actually doing in Windows 10...

    Jody Thornton said: View Post
    Here Hear! I haven't visited this forum for about a month, but what I notice out in the real world (meaning away from this forum), there really isn't all that much excitement about Windows 10. Everywhere I go, see, work or read, it 's still either Windows 7, or else most others have just forsaken PCs altogether and joined the Android or iOS world.

    It's only in this forum where it seems the majority thinks we should all get on the Windows 10 train, get rid of Control Panel, embrace the lesser "new" Start Menu, and see everything else before it as obsolete. I am actually glad that I'm still on Vista (SP2 isn't bad at all on a reasonably powerful PC), and I still prefer Windows 8.1 to 10. In fact 10 looks yecchy. I just don't get what all of the hoopla is, I really don't. So I say for those here that like Windows 10; Great! Enjoy it! But I too will be glad that I have Windows 8.1 until January 2023.
    I agree with you 100% as well. Windows 8 is actually MORE similar to Windows 7 than Windows 10 is. I don't know where the praise for 10 is coming from. It's not that great. There is more "metro" in Windows 10 than there is in Windows 8. If people hated "metro" in Windows 8 so bad, why are they praising Windows 10???

    Oh and yeah... Vista SP2 isn't a bad OS at all... I still have a laptop with Vista SP2 that I use a mini-homeserver/printer bridge. I would be happily using Vista on my desktop if it weren't for its impending end-of-support date. Remember "The WOW starts now"? Good times...

    Jody Thornton said: View Post
    For those such as you and I, who want a desktop/Explorer-style interface, just stick with Windows 8.1 or 7. But most people want a mobile interface; it's not "dumbed down", it's just simple and for those that are fans of that type of app-style, it what they always wanted. They really never wanted to use "computers" in the first place. They only used Windows before because they had to.
    I agree. Like I said previously, Windows 8 is much more like Windows 7 than Windows 10 is.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 13
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
       19 Oct 2015 #127

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Windows 10 can be an advantage if your using multiple devices. No having to learn 2 or 3 different interfaces. Your phone looks like your tablet looks like your desktop.
    With this in mind, Microsoft, can we make a deal? If I promise to NEVER EVER even touch a Windows tablet or phone, can I continue to use my old, familiar, perfectly-functional, desktop optimized UI, but with Windows 10?

    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" For a desktop OS, "it doesn't translate well to tablets and phones" does not qualify as "broke." It would, in fact, be more "broke" to replace UI that was designed only for the desktop with one that is a compromise between what works on the desktop and what works on phones and tablets.

    The reason that different devices have different UIs is that they are different devices that have different properties. There's no benefit in trying to make two fundamentally dissimilar things work with one unified user interface. Even Apple, king of making things easy (or dumbing them down, as I would say), doesn't try to blend iOS and OSX into one. But they have an established phone/tablet market, so they don't need to try to force it as Microsoft does.

    If change is really beneficial, then people can deal with it. The problem here is that none of this change on the desktop is really about meeting our needs. It's about furthering Microsoft's desire to break into a market that already has two very well-entrenched competitors. I don't think I should have to relearn how to do everything and put up with all of the design compromises in 10 because MS is eight years late in getting serious about the mobile market.

    I want to like Windows 10... I really do. I know there are a lot of "under the hood" changes vs. 7 that are compelling (DX12 for one). I just don't appreciate MS trying to use my PC as a platform to sell me a Windows tablet or phone (eventually). It's all over the place in 10-- you can't avoid noticing it. Bing, OneDrive, Xbox, not to mention an ad in the Action Center for Office the moment the 10 upgrade completed, on and on. It's more like an advertising platform than an OS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    19 Oct 2015 #128

    Jody Thornton said: View Post
    it's not "dumbed down", it's just simple and for those that are fans of that type of app-style
    I disagree. I've seen several examples since I installed Win10 1-2 weeks ago. I just ran into something today. I wanted my background image to both cycle every 2 hours and shuffle the images. Can't do either in metro. Makes it seem kind of "dumbed down."
    Last edited by Gork; 19 Oct 2015 at 03:39.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    19 Oct 2015 #129

    Jody Thornton;431845[B said:
    ]It's only in this forum where it seems the majority thinks we should all get on the Windows 10 train[/B], get rid of Control Panel, embrace the lesser "new" Start Menu, and see everything else before it as obsolete. I am actually glad that I'm still on Vista (SP2 isn't bad at all on a reasonably powerful PC), and I still prefer Windows 8.1 to 10. In fact 10 looks yecchy. I just don't get what all of the hoopla is, I really don't. So I say for those here that like Windows 10; Great! Enjoy it! But I too will be glad that I have Windows 8.1 until January 2023.
    I would think that this being a Windows "10" forum that the majority of users would be using 10 and that they might be enthusiastic about it. What did you expect?? The majority to slam 10??
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 14,907
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       19 Oct 2015 #130

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I would think that this being a Windows "10" forum that the majority of users would be using 10 and that they might be enthusiastic about it. What did you expect?? The majority to slam 10??
    Like NVIDIA users at a AMD site!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Solved where is the control panel? in General Support
this is probably a dumb question, but I want to delete a program and can't find the control panel. I've looked in settings but don't see it anywhere.
Control Panel in General Support
I hope someone can assist me. I upgraded to Win 10 and when I go to the Control Panel, by default it opens as Large icons. I change it to Category as that is how I want it to open but it keeps on defaulting back to what I don't want. Very...
Control Panel in Win10 in General Support
Has anyone got a better way to get to the old style control panel? I don't like Win10 menu for the control panel... thanx
Now that I've got Win10,, I was looking around and clicking on stuff to see what was under the hood, I found that you can get to the Old Control Panel like in Win 7, problem is I don't remember how I got there. Can any one help me on this? I don't...
control panel in General Support
I have 10130 and am surprised to still have the control panel, although the icon has changed. Has anyone still got theirs?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57.
Find Us