Windows 10: Windows 10 Build 9860 Now Available

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
  1.    25 Oct 2014 #231

    Started it about 3pm yesterday afternoon (pc did go into sleep mode last night while downloading so that didn't help

    continued the download at 11am this morning, just got up and running now 2:15pm
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    25 Oct 2014 #232

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Chuck38 said: View Post
    And here I thought mine was slow!

    From what I've heard 2 hrs is about the average download time.

    2 Hours!! WOW.. mine took about 10 minutes to download and a total of about 30-40 minutes to perform the entire process.

    Jeff
    On three computers
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    25 Oct 2014 #233

    Lee said: View Post
    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Chuck38 said: View Post
    And here I thought mine was slow!

    From what I've heard 2 hrs is about the average download time.

    2 Hours!! WOW.. mine took about 10 minutes to download and a total of about 30-40 minutes to perform the entire process.

    Jeff
    On three computers
    WOW!! Now that hurts!
    I feel for you.
    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    25 Oct 2014 #234

    paulsalter said: View Post
    Started it about 3pm yesterday afternoon (pc did go into sleep mode last night while downloading so that didn't help

    continued the download at 11am this morning, just got up and running now 2:15pm
    While everyone else is lapping it up on their great internet speed, they've seemed to have over looked your issue.

    Anyway can you give us an idea what your internet speed is? Is this cable, DSL, or Dial-Up?

    I'm thinking 12 hours is an awfully long time for say 4gig on all but dial-up? And I'm not even sure dial-up should take that long, but...

    And unless it's dial-up I'm thinking you may have to restart the download process again. You may have gotten stuck somewhere.

    Let us know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       25 Oct 2014 #235

    Paul - that's terrible!

    I'm not sure there was much you could do though. When I first tried to get the Preview Rls, I gave up because it was too slow. Then John posted an alternative download.

    Unfortunately, the 9860 update was through the Preview pgm and there wasn't an option to use another server/download location.

    Maybe feedback is required! My experience with 9860 was similar ... I started it - couldn't tell if it was trying to connect or if it was actually downloading, so I stopped it after about 1/2 and hour. I thought I read that it could be restarted, but I'm not certain. I tried again and killed it after about 10 minutes. Third time is the charm - I just let it do what it wanted and 2 hours later, I got the Install button. That took about an hour, but I knew it was going to take a while - someone (bunnyj?) mentioned 20 minutes for the install (I'm really jealous!).

    Speed tests can be misleading ... the server you test against and the server you actually connect to are probably different.

    For comparison:

    OOKLA Speed Test:
    Baltimore MD
    Comcast Speed Test:
    New Castle DE
    Comcast Speed Test:
    Washington DC

    And man ... look how far away those Comcast Servers are

    Bill
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       25 Oct 2014 #236

    paulsalter said: View Post
    .....
    continued the download at 11am this morning, just got up and running now 2:15pm
    sygnus21 said: View Post
    .....
    And unless it's dial-up I'm thinking you may have to restart the download process again. You may have gotten stuck somewhere.
    I think Paul finaly got it downloaded.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    25 Oct 2014 #237

    Thanks for the replies, This is definitely not normal, I am on slow BB (DSL)usually about 1.5Mb/s (if I have the correct terminology there)

    Normal downloading I can usually get 1GB in about an hour (using Win 8), just done a test in Win 8 and I downloaded 200 MB in 10 mins, so I know my connection is no worse than usual

    My only thoughts where

    Do MS only have update servers in the US for the TP, so it makes it much worse for me over here
    Could the VM cause this if I have something wrong, although in general in works as well as 8 internet speed

    It did download eventually, but not looking forward to this every few weeks (can put up with it as I want to see 10 evolve)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speedtest.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	7436
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    25 Oct 2014 #238

    paulsalter said: View Post
    Normal downloading I can usually get 1GB in about an hour (using Win 8), just done a test in Win 8 and I downloaded 200 MB in 10 mins, so I know my connection is no worse than usual
    Yeah, that file should have downloaded a lot quicker than 12 hours. Check the file and make sure it's complete and intact.

    paulsalter said: View Post
    Could the VM cause this if I have something wrong, although in general in works as well as 8 internet speed
    Wait... you downloaded it through a VM? I'm not expert in VM, but that may have been part of the issue.

    Anyway being that it took so long check that the file is complete and intact.

    BTW where did you download the file from? - Could be a factor.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    25 Oct 2014 #239

    sygnus21 said: View Post

    Yeah, that file should have downloaded a lot quicker than 12 hours. Check the file and make sure it's complete and intact.

    paulsalter said: View Post
    Could the VM cause this if I have something wrong, although in general in works as well as 8 internet speed
    Wait... you downloaded it through a VM? I'm not expert in VM, but that may have been part of the issue.

    Anyway being that it took so long check that the file is complete and intact.

    BTW where did you download the file from? - Could be a factor.
    Thanks

    I have Win 10 running in VMWare Player (main machine is Win 8.1)
    Was wondering whether the VM is somehow throttling the download, although I would have thought this would effect more people
    The download was done from the PC settings app, check for new builds option
    I assume it completed ok as I have now got the latest build of 10 running fine, no problems with it

    When I downloaded the initial version of 10 from the improvement program it took about 5 to 6 hours, that was a 4GB file (that's the type of speed I would expect), I downloaded this using IE in Windows 8.1

    will try doing some more downloads from 10 tomorrow see if I can find out what is going slow

    I am new to using VM's so not sure if the host can have control over the bandwidth it uses
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,379
    Windows 10 64 bit
       25 Oct 2014 #240

    I don't get the sort of speeds people show from over the pond but I'm not sure how long it took to download the new build but it certainly was quicker than 12 hours.

    Like you Paul I did it through VMware by clicking on the link in the PC Settings section, also this is the first time I've used a VM. I don't think you can count the VM in Windows 7, I never managed to get that to work for what I wanted it for.

    I will say it's much better since installing the Power Tools in VMware as I now have the window showing full screen whereas before I could only run it in a small window in the middle of my monitor with black panels either side.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Related Threads
Can't update windows build from 9860 in Windows Updates and Activation
every time i updated the OS its always comes with error that the connection down. please help
Windows defender service won't start (build 9860) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Hi there Anybody encountered THIS problem yet (I have no other AV software running). Windows defender won't start. Cheers jimbo
Fresh Install Windows 10 TP Build 9860 in Installation and Upgrade
If you have multiple PC's to update or having trouble updating VM or don't want to see multiple Recovery partitions created from the update. If you've already have the C:\RecoveryImage folder or if someone can put it in the dropbox for you to...
Read more...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24.
Find Us