Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
  1.    24 Oct 2014 #191
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 19,200
    Windows 10

    My PC Settings app crashed while it was downloading the update, anyone know if it resumes when you say download again or does it start from the beginning?

    hope it resumes or I might have about another 6 hours before its finished downloading
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    24 Oct 2014 #192
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Pembrokeshire, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,485
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 15063 Multiprocessor Free

    I started up Windows 10 today in my VM and decided to see what happened when I clicked on the new build button. Downloaded it and then did the install visited a few places and come here to see what's new.

    Got to go now though for awhile so will play again a bit later.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    24 Oct 2014 #193
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    OK, so I have something weird going on. When I installed the OS, in VM, I was never prompted for a PID, Nor is there a water mark asking me to activate.

    However I look at the system page and I see Windows needs to be activated...

    Go to activate by inserting the default PID key and 1) I get key not valid for this OS, 2), when I tried to activate with whatever key was inserted, I get Windows can't activate right now.

    What am I missing?

    ActuallyI just realized I downloaded the enterprise version from here: Download Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise. So I assume the key is already included? If so, why isn't Windows activating?

    Thanks.
    Have you tried entering a new key?
    This is the public key from the original iso download page: NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

    Download Windows Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows

    Are you logged on a local account or a MS account. I'm not sure it matters, but I've been logging on with one of my MS accounts (same one I'm using to report feedback) when I install or update, just to make sure all of the 'sync' settings are sync'd with my MS account. It might not make any difference ...

    Bill
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    24 Oct 2014 #194
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,662
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Anyone having issues with USB driver?
    9860 is not picking up some of my USB flashdrives that work fine with the previous build. It shows the yellow triangle warning in Device Manager. It only picks up the old USB sticks but not the newer ones. Any advice?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    24 Oct 2014 #195
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    Anyone having issues with USB driver?
    9860 is not picking up some of my USB flashdrives that work fine with the previous build. It shows the yellow triangle warning in Device Manager. It only picks up the old USB sticks but not the newer ones. Any advice?
    Is the thumb drive in a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port?

    +edit
    You might try updating the driver in Device mgr.

    Lastly, check for ghost devices
    add a new environment variable to your user profile
    name: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
    value: 1

    in dev mgr, click view, show hidden devices.
    delete the greyed out (non present) USB devices
    -edit

    I'm running in a Hyper-V vm and I don't see any USB ports. I need to figure out how to configure those.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    24 Oct 2014 #196
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,658
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    OK, so I have something weird going on. When I installed the OS, in VM, I was never prompted for a PID, Nor is there a water mark asking me to activate.

    However I look at the system page and I see Windows needs to be activated...

    Go to activate by inserting the default PID key and 1) I get key not valid for this OS, 2), when I tried to activate with whatever key was inserted, I get Windows can't activate right now.

    What am I missing?

    ActuallyI just realized I downloaded the enterprise version from here: Download Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise. So I assume the key is already included? If so, why isn't Windows activating?

    Thanks.
    Have you tried entering a new key?
    This is the public key from the original iso download page: NKJFK-GPHP7-G8C3J-P6JXR-HQRJR

    Download Windows Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows

    Are you logged on a local account or a MS account. I'm not sure it matters, but I've been logging on with one of my MS accounts (same one I'm using to report feedback) when I install or update, just to make sure all of the 'sync' settings are sync'd with my MS account. It might not make any difference ...

    Bill
    .
    Yea that key didn't work as this is the enterprise version. Anyway I'm going to try a few of the other suggestions, notably the one alphanumeric posted. Will post back the results later.

    And I'm logged in with my Microsoft account, but no, it shouldn't matter.

    Thanks.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    24 Oct 2014 #197
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,662
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    Anyone having issues with USB driver?
    9860 is not picking up some of my USB flashdrives that work fine with the previous build. It shows the yellow triangle warning in Device Manager. It only picks up the old USB sticks but not the newer ones. Any advice?
    Is it USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports?


    I'm running in a Hyper-V vm and I don't see any USB ports. I need to figure out how to configure those.

    +edit
    You might also look in Device mgr - update driver.

    Lastly, check for ghost devices
    add a new environment variable to your user profile
    name: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
    value: 1

    in dev mgr, click view, show hidden devices.
    delete the greyed out (non present) USB devices
    -edit
    Both 2.0 and 3.0. It's picky.
    Actually, it's not just my USB sticks. Even the SATA controller card attached to the mobo is picking up hard drives and partitions as Compact flash, Memory stick, SD, etc. It's not like that with Win 7 (on the same machine).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    24 Oct 2014 #198
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,658
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    Just looked at post #171 .

    Problem is I didn't get a key with the enterprise download as I stated. Thus my actually statement. If you look at "Your product key info" in the image I provided it seems to be embedded... unless I missed it

    Anyway trying to activate Windows gives me this error... Windows can't activate. Try again later.

    Thanks.
    If you go to the MSDN downloads section, and click on the Details for the Enterprise version your running. It will list a key. Mine was 64 bit English.
    I just clicked the "Enter Key" button in the screen shot you posted and clipped and pasted the key in. It activated a couple of seconds latter.
    As far as I know you don't need a subscription to look at the info in MSDN downloads section. You just can't download anything without one.

    Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise (x64) - DVD (English)
    ISO English Release Date: 10/1/2014 Details

    3797 MB

    Please note - A product key is not required for installation, but is being provided for mitigation purposes only:
    PBHCJ-Q2NYD-2PX34-T2TD6-233PK

    File Name: en_windows_10_technical_preview_for_enterprise_x64_dvd_5554079.iso
    Languages: English
    SHA1: C79E60AE272ADF7455FAE3D923A6D06E8D06A935
    Hey alpha, I just used the key posted here and all is good now. Windows activated.

    Thanks to all who posted suggestions.

    BTW the one immediate thing that jumps out to me is the actual start menu. Never realized how much I missed that. The main thing I like about it is when you left click it you get the shut down options. It annoys me to hell having to right click the "start menu" under 8.1 to get the same option, when habit had me left clicking since using Windows.

    Peace
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    24 Oct 2014 #199
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    Quote Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
    Yea that key didn't work as this is the enterprise version. Anyway I'm going to try a few of the other suggestions, notably the one alphanumeric posted. Will post back the results later.

    Thanks.
    I thought they were ALL enterprise.

    Alpha already posted this key (from the tech eval page).
    Product Key

    Upon installation, Windows will prompt you to activate. A product key is not required for this software. For recovery scenarios, the following key may be used: PBHCJ-Q2NYD-2PX34-T2TD6-233PK

    If slui doesn't help - consider running SFC and DISM
    Note: previous bld
    SFC reported hundreds of errors (mostly language and fonts). I think it might have fixed a few things - not sure, too much noise from the errors.
    DISM reported everything OK.

    SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8
    DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption in Windows 8
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    24 Oct 2014 #200
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,658
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    No, if you look at the first post here you'll see you can get the "regular" or Enterprise edition - Brink linked to both. I too thought that but realized I'd went to the enterprise site to download the tech review as I was trying to figure out why that key didn't work.

    Anyway see the post above yours concerning alphanumeric's post as that key worked.

    Thanks.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Can't update windows build from 9860
every time i updated the OS its always comes with error that the connection down. please help
Windows Updates and Activation
Windows defender service won't start (build 9860)
Hi there Anybody encountered THIS problem yet (I have no other AV software running). Windows defender won't start. Cheers jimbo
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Windows 10: 41 percent of testers installed build 9860
More
Windows 10 News
Fresh Install Windows 10 TP Build 9860
If you have multiple PC's to update or having trouble updating VM or don't want to see multiple Recovery partitions created from the update. If you've already have the C:\RecoveryImage folder or if someone can put it in the dropbox for you to...
Installation and Upgrade
No ISOs for Windows 10 build 9860
Read more...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:40.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums