Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1.    17 Oct 2014 #21
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    Well, even if you use it as your "main" OS, I still don't quite see how the backups would help. I do backup my files but only for the slight probability of drive failure. If the OS runs into problems and needs to be reinstalled - well, that costs me time, but my files are not affected - what kind of OS failure would damage my files? Some virus perhaps, but to be honest, I never ever had one of those and even if something will seep through, how's that related to OS failure?

    Now, of course I don't do banking or any other serious stuff on the test version of the OS, but mostly out of paranoia - who knows what does this thing report "home". OS being possibly unstable has nothing to do with it.



    We're talking about system backup. The thing that you use when you run into problems with your OS.



    We never discuss data backup because that is a given. A common sense. My files don't go on the same drive as the OS. So it doesn't matter if I get a virus anytime. I just restore by image or re-clone the OS and I am back in 15mins like nothing happened. Fixing your OS will not cost you too much time if you know the kind of backup we are talking about.
    Last edited by badrobot; 17 Oct 2014 at 17:17.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    17 Oct 2014 #22
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NYS
    Posts : 273
    Windows 10 Insider Program, Linux Mint 18.2, LinuxLite, Ubuntu 17.10

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    We're talking about system backup. The thing that you use when you run into problems with your OS.
    No matter how much we STRESS and talk about it, Imaging seems lost to many. I like to try out software and experiment which sometimes leads to a crippled or broken system. And, yes, my imaging routine has me back in 15 minutes. If guilty of anything in this area, I admit to "going overboard".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    17 Oct 2014 #23
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    No matter how much we STRESS and talk about it, Imaging seems lost to many. I like to try out software and experiment which sometimes leads to a crippled or broken system. And, yes, my imaging routine has me back in 15 minutes. If guilty of anything in this area, I admit to "going overboard".
    More overboard than this (400GB worth of images) ?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_backups2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	456.9 KB 
ID:	7116

    I keep both Macrium and Windows version of images in case Windows is really dead and won't boot up. Also a clean (clean installed) and current versions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    17 Oct 2014 #24
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,571
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    More overboard than this (400GB worth of images) ?
    I've got images (data not OS) dating back to when I first installed W7 (2009).

    They probably total ~400GB (one or two surviving images for each year from 2009 to 2013).

    Currently it takes >120GB/month to image my main desktop partitions (operating systems, Documents & Pictures).
    I don't image my Music or Video partitions each month.

    My laptop backups are ~12 GB/month.
    I use it as a media centre, so I only have operating systems on it.
    I copy media files to it from my main PC (as required).

    I have ~12TB of external storage, which is used to hold backup images, VMs and copies of my music & videos.

    I guess I should have a "Spring Clean".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    17 Oct 2014 #25
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    All my files go on separate hard drives. The important ones go to NAS in RAID 1 mode.



    Those images I have are purely OS only. It's a lot faster to create images without any files on it (3 to 10mins) Any hard drive more than 2TB is a no-no for me. I don't put all my eggs in one basket.
    Last edited by badrobot; 17 Oct 2014 at 20:46.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    17 Oct 2014 #26
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts : 657
    Windows 7/64 Professional

    I'm not sure what really qualifies as the perfect testing method.

    All I did was install W-10 on it's own ssd and dual boot with W-7.
    I hunt and for things that I normally use when in W-7 and see if I can find the way W-10 does the same thing.
    I try to adjust things to my liking using W-10 methods and report my likes and dislikes.
    We are still waiting for a method of adjusting font size in Start Menu.
    I would also like to see more options in Personalization.
    I think I have figured out what is happening to my Restore Points but I'm still testing to make sure I got it figured out correctly.
    I think the right tick on the Start Window is a great thing and have reported so. I like all the things it brings up.
    I use W-10 about half the time I using the computer and the other half is on W-7.

    Is doing things in this fashion the proper testing method? I have no idea but it's my method.

    I have re-indext about 3 time in different ways just to see if I can find things better. So far I really don't see any difference.
    Yes I do understand W-10 is pre - puberty.

    I can find all my Restore Points using VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWS but I haven't been able to find them in a normal W-7 way or anything like it.
    Maybe it's not built into the young testing system yet.
    I'm looking for something like the option (Show more Restore Points).

    I have also discovered that Real Temp indicates about 3 deg. C different between W-10 and W-7. Bear in my that this is the same computer just two different operating system on two different ssd's.
    I do a lot of snooping and trial and error.

    My next adventure will be doing a complete back up of W-10 using a eSata ssd. I will try to use W-10 for this instead of a 3rd party program. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Layback Bear; 17 Oct 2014 at 20:54.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    17 Oct 2014 #27
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,661
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
    I'm not sure what really qualifies as the perfect testing method.

    All I did was install W-10 on it's own ssd and dual boot with W-7.
    I hunt and for things that I normally use when in W-7 and see if I can find the way W-10 does the same thing.
    I try to adjust things to my liking using W-10 methods and report my likes and dislikes.
    We are still waiting for a method of adjusting font size in Start Menu.
    I would also like to see more options in Personalization.
    I think I have figured out what is happening to my Restore Points but I'm still testing to make sure I got it figured out correctly.
    I think the right tick on the Start Window is a great thing and have reported so. I like all the things it brings up.
    I use W-10 about half the time I using the computer and the other half is on W-7.

    Is doing things in this fashion the proper testing method? I have no idea but it's my method.

    I have re-indext about 3 time in different ways just to see if I can find things better. So far I really don't see any difference.
    Yes I do understand W-10 is pre - puberty.

    I can find all my Restore Points using VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWS but I haven't been able to find them in a normal W-7 way or anything like it.
    Maybe it's not built into the young testing system yet.
    I'm looking for something like the option (Show more Restore Points).

    I have also discovered that Real Temp indicates about 3 deg. C different between W-10 and W-7. Bear in my that this is the same computer just two different operating system on two different ssd's.
    I do a lot of snooping and trial and error.

    My next adventure will be doing a complete back up of W-10 using a eSata ssd. I will try to use W-10 for this instead of a 3rd party program. Wish me luck.
    Have you successfully completed restoring images created using native windows utility via bootable windows rescue disc on Win 10 TP? I've tried and failed. So far, I've only successfully done so using Macrium bootable USB rescue media ( pre-OS mode).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    17 Oct 2014 #28
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NYS
    Posts : 273
    Windows 10 Insider Program, Linux Mint 18.2, LinuxLite, Ubuntu 17.10

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    More overboard than this (400GB worth of images) ? .
    Also @lehnerus2000. Ok, I have been "outboarded by you two . But I am of like-minded. I use Acronis and Terabytes Unlimited Image For Windows. Also use WD My Cloud with added external drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    17 Oct 2014 #29
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts : 657
    Windows 7/64 Professional

    I have just completed using W-10 a backup to a eSata ssd.
    It took about 8 min. the rest of the time I use changing drive letters so I can find what is what on three ssd's.
    I haven't made a rescue disk as of yet.
    I'm wondering if I could use the IOS W-10 disk I burned to install the backup if need be. Haven't tried and probably won't unless I need the backup. I'm thinking the W-10 disc should have what is needed.

    Please somebody correct me if my beliefs are wrong.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    18 Oct 2014 #30
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10

    When the TP was first released I thought "To hell with everything!" Backed up some of the user sheit from 8.1 then did a clean install with no al boot or anything. Some people may say I was careless but as someone out there mentioned, this is the best thing to do to really stress my rig. It has been working like a charm from the very instant I installed it. Also, I store all my files on external drives and only have OS and applications on the main drive. If it would have been a total mess and disaster, I could as easily just reinstall 8.1. My rig was also in ill need of a clean sweep anyway
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
What will Happen to the preview version once Windows 10 is live
I am currently running Windows 10 Insider Preview on my PC. It was previously running a non genuine copy of Windows 7 and just wanted to know what would happen once the Windows 10 launches. Will I be stuck with the Preview until it expires on...
General Support
Windows 10 preview for Lumia 52 phones could go live again April 21
Read more: Windows 10 for phones preview could go live again for Lumia 520 devices on April 21 | Windows Central
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 Preview for phones build 8.15.12492.41 for select testers
Read more: Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones build 8.15.12492.41 being seeded to select testers - Neowin
Windows 10 News
Testers protest abrupt changes in Windows 10's OneDrive
Testers protest abrupt changes in Windows 10's OneDrive sync | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 Preview: download goes live tomorrow
Read more... Technical Preview Registration: Windows Technical Preview is coming soon - Microsoft Windows
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:12.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums