Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    09 Oct 2014 #21
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 98
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Your data does stay on your machine, unless you use OneDrive. The only other data stored there is settings, favorites, app info, and Start Screen arrangement so in case one needs to reinstall it auto loads via synch.
    Even if you use OneDrive, it stays on your machine unless you specifically tell it to not sync files already stored on OneDrive to your computer, then delete the local copy. Personally, I sync everything on my OneDrive to my computer, and I keep all my documents, pictures, videos, etc. saved to my OneDrive folder, so I have access to literally all my files anywhere, at anytime. If I have my computer, but no internet, I have the local copy. If I have internet but not my personal computer, I have OneDrive. Its very useful.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    09 Oct 2014 #22
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 34,840
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Petey7 View Post
    Even if you use OneDrive, it stays on your machine unless you specifically tell it to not sync files already stored on OneDrive to your computer, then delete the local copy. Personally, I sync everything on my OneDrive to my computer, and I keep all my documents, pictures, videos, etc. saved to my OneDrive folder, so I have access to literally all my files anywhere, at anytime. If I have my computer, but no internet, I have the local copy. If I have internet but not my personal computer, I have OneDrive. Its very useful.
    Perhaps you overlooked my correction in post 18.

    It doesn't leave a hard copy on a drive unless one configures it to do so, of which I just learned.

    I've been using OneDrive since I bought my Lumia WP8.1 back after the first of the year, so I know how useful it is. In fact I'm speaking into the phone writing this post in a Word file via OneDrive on my Lumia to copy/paste into the forums text box while enjoying the afternoon sun on my patio deck.

    More info:

    https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...account-2.html
    Last edited by HippsieGypsie; 09 Oct 2014 at 17:17.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    10 Oct 2014 #23
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    I find it weird that there is a long list of apps in the Start Menu that I cannot remove from there. These are the "metro" apps and they are not shown in the usual location (C:\Users\.......\Start Menu\Programs). The list is useless to me and I want them removed.
    If you consider "4" to be a "long list", I suppose. You can remove them from the menu via group policy. Everyone is so quick to start hacking the OS to do things when the OS itself already gives you the tools to do what you want in many cases.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    10 Oct 2014 #24
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 236
    7, 10TP

    Take a look at the screenshots. I'm talking about the long list of apps on the left of the Start Menu. I'm not trying to hack anything, but it's not at all obvious how to remove them from there. Both screenshots are from the same Start Menu, you have to scroll down to get to something useful.

    The background color is also rather ugly. So far I only found a way to choose out of a dozen solid colors like that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s1.png   s2.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    10 Oct 2014 #25
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by unifex View Post
    Take a look at the screenshots. I'm talking about the long list of apps on the left of the Start Menu. I'm not trying to hack anything, but it's not at all obvious how to remove them from there. Both screenshots are from the same Start Menu, you have to scroll down to get to something useful.
    Yes, all of those apps can be uninstalled, except for 4 of them. Those 4 can be hidden.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    13 Oct 2014 #26
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,634
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Yes, all of those apps can be uninstalled, except for 4 of them. Those 4 can be hidden.
    Aren't those from "All Apps" and right ones from Start Screen ?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    13 Oct 2014 #27
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 143
    Windows 10 1607

    Windows 10 really needs to sort out Control Panel and PC Settings. Perhaps Control Panel is no longer so relevant? I could do without it, if PC Settings really provided the same functionality.
    I'd like more of the feeling I have with 8.1 that the Modern UI parts of Windows are the 'workings' of the OS, behind the scenes of the Desktop and applications.

    I'm surprised that better personalisation isn't on that list, though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    13 Oct 2014 #28
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,634
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Control panel is more of a hardware oriented than PC Settings, I would be lost without it even with "God Mode" nearby.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    13 Oct 2014 #29
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 13,116
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    I think the role of PC Settings might change, it to take over some if not all Control Panel functions.

    (To support this assumption I have nothing else than the Tech Preview feedback jumping in already a few times asking me which one do I prefer (PC Settings or CP) and why I chose Control Panel instead of PC Settings.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    13 Oct 2014 #30
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,634
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I think the role of PC Settings might change, it to take over some if not all Control Panel functions.

    (To support this assumption I have nothing else than the Tech Preview feedback jumping in already a few times asking me which one do I prefer (PC Settings or CP) and why I chose Control Panel instead of PC Settings.)
    Same here, it's just that I'm afraid of loosing HW control because PC settings are poor in that department and some programs and drivers put their link in CP.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Is Microsoft Ignoring One of the Top User Requests for Windows 10?
Source
Windows 10 News
User Accounts Switch User in Windows 10
How to Switch User in Windows 10 If you have more than one user account on your PC, Fast User Switching is an easy way for you to switch between accounts or for another user to sign in to Windows without signing you out or closing your apps and...
Tutorials
Sir Paul, in concert. Just because....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_II3AAnQo Me & the boy were there, along with a quarter million other people. Full concert, in hd.
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:54.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums