"What's ahead for Microsoft's Cloud"? on October 20th

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "What's ahead for Microsoft's Cloud"? on October 20th

    "What's ahead for Microsoft's Cloud"? on October 20th


    Posted: 07 Oct 2014

    Microsoft sent out invitations today for a one-hour event to be held in San Francisco on October 20, which will be hosted by the company's CEO Satya Nadella, as well as Scott Guthrie, Executive Vice President for Cloud and Computing. It will start at 11:00 PT, and will be available to watch on the Microsoft News Center site.
    Read more...
    Brink's Avatar Posted By: Brink
    07 Oct 2014


  1. Posts : 429
    Windows 10 Fast Ring
       #1

    Might have something to do with XBox One rather than Windows. MS has been touting how the console will be using the cloud heavily.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 316
    Windows 10
       #2

    I don't like to use Cloud for my computing. I prefer to put my stuff on my computer and know exactly where it's at. Yes that has a certain disadvantage over cloud computing, but that's still the way I want it. So is windows 10 such that some of my stuff will still get on cloud? Or is there a way to configure it so that it doesn't go there? I would appreciate your advice. Thank you.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 480
    Windows 10
       #3

    Frank1 said:
    I don't like to use Cloud for my computing. I prefer to put my stuff on my computer and know exactly where it's at. Yes that has a certain disadvantage over cloud computing, but that's still the way I want it. So is windows 10 such that some of my stuff will still get on cloud? Or is there a way to configure it so that it doesn't go there? I would appreciate your advice. Thank you.
    I'm not 100% sure, but you're probably better off with a Local Account because even Windows 8 syncs different settings across devices, although if you don't activate Onedrive you should be reasonably safe. I say reasonably because with the Internet who knows what can happen.
    I was a bit wary at first but I now have my Music on Onedrive and I can play it from all my various devices, I've also got other non personal stuff on there as well. Unfortunately or fortunately this is the future of computing and the benefits are pretty huge, except of course with a couple of downsides.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,625
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
       #4

    Frank1 said:
    So is windows 10 such that some of my stuff will still get on cloud? Or is there a way to configure it so that it doesn't go there?
    You don't have to have any of your stuff in the cloud if you don't want, it's completely optional.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 316
    Windows 10
       #5

    Thanks for you input. I just won't activate OneDrive.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 725
    Windows 10 64-bits
       #6

    Boozad said:
    You don't have to have any of your stuff in the cloud if you don't want, it's completely optional.
    I am not sure, that's entirely true. Certainly, not activating/signing in to Onedrive keeps most of the files local. On the other hand, there might be some other synchronization/backup in the background. Case in point...

    I've initially installed W10 TP with my MS account that later had been removed. That resulted in disabling the fast ring updates, which was just fine for me. When W10 10260 had become available, I've added my MS account. This resulted in enabling the fast ring updates and change my desktop background for this account. The Brooklyn Bridge image was no longer accessible locally, but MS "kindly" downloaded to my system from the cloud. It seems that some of the personalized settings are synchronized/backed up to the cloud, I certainly did not do it intentionally. Not a big deal, just makes me wonder what else is uploaded to the cloud?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 23,195
    Windows 10
       #7

    Cr00zng said:
    I am not sure, that's entirely true. Certainly, not activating/signing in to Onedrive keeps most of the files local. On the other hand, there might be some other synchronization/backup in the background. Case in point...

    I've initially installed W10 TP with my MS account that later had been removed. That resulted in disabling the fast ring updates, which was just fine for me. When W10 10260 had become available, I've added my MS account. This resulted in enabling the fast ring updates and change my desktop background for this account. The Brooklyn Bridge image was no longer accessible locally, but MS "kindly" downloaded to my system from the cloud. It seems that some of the personalized settings are synchronized/backed up to the cloud, I certainly did not do it intentionally. Not a big deal, just makes me wonder what else is uploaded to the cloud?
    Check the Settings app, the default will be to sync your settings, themes etc but these can all be turned off

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 725
    Windows 10 64-bits
       #8

    paulsalter said:
    Check the Settings app, the default will be to sync your settings, themes etc but these can all be turned off

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html
    Thanks for the link...

    Unless updates change these setting, this is what I preferred from the start of installing W10 TP:

    "What's ahead for Microsoft's Cloud"? on October 20th-sync.jpg

    The statement starting with "Some..." may indicate that other 'features" are available, regardless if the end user has an MS account or not.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 23,195
    Windows 10
       #9

    my reading of that is the 'Some Features' it refers to are the syncing ones

    if you want to sync any settings you need to use an MS account, but with an MS account you can turn syncing off if you don't want it
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums