Windows 10: Microsoft pushes Windows 10 upgrade to PCs without user consent

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,357
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
    Thread Starter
       17 Oct 2015 #331

    Here I have to continue to keep the 7 Ultimate install going due to paid for programs that can't be simply installed fresh on 10. Otherwise 10 runs a lot like 7 only with the new options as well as updated look. While being three versions newer and still the need to see some programs with the latest versions downloaded most everything else has been good to go.

    I did replace the new Start menu for the Start Menu 10 option by Stardock however as I still prefer the shutdown button you can set to Restart over the need to constantly right click on the Start>Power or Start button and scroll all the way down every time for a fast restart for some updates. Stardock did a great job with that one for sure seeing the choice for the standard 7 menu, the Modern look, or for the 10 menu with Tiles. I opted for the Modern without tiles here!

    As for the files themselves it's a typical hunt down and remove task. I know some others even on the thread here have run into a few of the GWX and GWXUI type.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    17 Oct 2015 #332

    Night Hawk said: View Post
    After next July you won't be seeing any of this however once the free upgrade offer expires. For the next several months however keep an eye out for those two items.
    I have a sneaky feeling we will still see it, or Microsoft will keep the pressure on, perhaps with an offer !
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       17 Oct 2015 #333

    So now a friend of mine sits with a borked W10 upgrade that she did NOT reserve, did NOT want, and did NOT ask for. It's at a black screen, will not finish, will not revert, will not recover, will not boot. Just great Microsoft.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    17 Oct 2015 #334

    found that file in update and unchecked/hid it kb 3035583 any files previously sent to me and installed that I need to go back and delete/ininstall in association with devious win 10?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 62
    Windows10 pro x64,Version 1607 build 14393.577
       18 Oct 2015 #335

    for me, i got my local branded laptop upgraded to 10 home, even doesnt have driver for 10 thou...because its already downloading every time i used my laptop..its a mess now..so i decided to do a clean install instead to my laptop , using mediacreation tool, and..looking the driver all over the web..but not from my local branded laptop. 'cause they do not have a driver for windows 10. now ,only card reader dont work..havent found a driver yet..maybe later..
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,357
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
    Thread Starter
       18 Oct 2015 #336

    zooburner said: View Post
    I have a sneaky feeling we will still see it, or Microsoft will keep the pressure on, perhaps with an offer !
    The 10 app gadget was the initial gizmo to promote 10 in time for the July 29th launch date. The "Upgrade to Windows 10" found in the Optional list already being checked off was certainly no accident but someone seeing it deliberately set that way. Every other optional update comes in unchecked except for that one? It does sort of raise the red flags!

    simrick said: View Post
    So now a friend of mine sits with a borked W10 upgrade that she did NOT reserve, did NOT want, and did NOT ask for. It's at a black screen, will not finish, will not revert, will not recover, will not boot. Just great Microsoft.
    That's one reason I love having system images! If the present installation gets trashed in some way I simply restore a system image made ahead of time! I see to it laptops I get asked to debug here see images as well as the one just upgraded to 10! I have the "Before and After" images for that one!

    For that situation if you had the media for the previous version that was on you could easily toss a clean install to replace the boogered upgrade or simply put a fresh install of 10 on and never worry again about 10 upgrading automatically. You get to the final set up stage of choosing Express settings simply choose the optional and turn off the four items on the first screen but can ignore the four on the second screen.

    The first four are things like sharing bandwidth for MS updates going out all over supposedly as well as log files being sent in to improve? on the Windows experience. One blogger pointed to that as MS spying on people? That panned out fast however.

    msongs said: View Post
    found that file in update and unchecked/hid it kb 3035583 any files previously sent to me and installed that I need to go back and delete/ininstall in association with devious win 10?
    The KB30935583 is strictly for the 10 app where you see the white color Windows logo in the system notification area or System tray. That will sit there forever and do nothing as long as you never click on it. But it easy to uninstall and any subsequent sight is not the exact same but a different version with the same name used. The link posted earlier provides a lenthy list for 8.1, Server 2012 R2 as well as 7 with SP1 and Server 2008.

    bayustev said: View Post
    for me, i got my local branded laptop upgraded to 10 home, even doesnt have driver for 10 thou...because its already downloading every time i used my laptop..its a mess now..so i decided to do a clean install instead to my laptop , using mediacreation tool, and..looking the driver all over the web..but not from my local branded laptop. 'cause they do not have a driver for windows 10. now ,only card reader dont work..havent found a driver yet..maybe later..
    One thing I found was the 10 installer was using 8.1 drivers since none are out for the mother board here and when arriving at Gigabyte I was finding 8.1 updates. For the discontinued analog/composite input/digital tv tuner card long discontinued I simply went with the PCIe Media Center model for seeing that driver and app used on the older PCI model in use. It works! and that was the most recent 8.1 update for the slightly newer PCIe card also no longer being sold!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    18 Oct 2015 #337

    bayustev said: View Post
    for me, i got my local branded laptop upgraded to 10 home, even doesnt have driver for 10 thou...because its already downloading every time i used my laptop..its a mess now..so i decided to do a clean install instead to my laptop , using mediacreation tool, and..looking the driver all over the web..but not from my local branded laptop. 'cause they do not have a driver for windows 10. now ,only card reader dont work..havent found a driver yet..maybe later..
    Had the same problem when I did a clean install on a ThinkPad. Went to the Lenovo web site and downloaded the driver for the card reader. Can't remember if it was a Windows 7 or 8 driver but it worked with 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    18 Oct 2015 #338

    simrick said: View Post
    So now a friend of mine sits with a borked W10 upgrade that she did NOT reserve, did NOT want, and did NOT ask for. It's at a black screen, will not finish, will not revert, will not recover, will not boot. Just great Microsoft.
    Unless you have some kind of restore media you are a bit stuck your options seem to be

    1) Contact your computer seller (if you got it from a shop/online ask them to send you appropriate restore media (unfortunately some charge for this.. but I would pass the charges on to Microsoft see what they say, but don't hold your breath)

    2) If you have the license key printed on your computer you may be able to get a windows (whatever) disk, or if you know someone with a disk you could use that, you will need to get the drivers of the manufacturers website and you are only entitled to use the license key printed on your OWN computer and of course make sure its the same version of windows as you had on before.

    3) Contact Microsoft tell them what has happened and ask them to send you some kind of restore media for the old O.S. I am very doubtful that will work as they will simply suggest you download the windows 10 media creation tool on another computer and make a windows 10 disk

    I personally think Microsoft should take responsibility for this mess up, but I doubt they will they clearly have a one way agenda

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upgrade10jpeg.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	43353

    Good luck
    zoo
    Last edited by zooburner; 18 Oct 2015 at 09:55.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       18 Oct 2015 #339

    zooburner said: View Post


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upgrade10jpeg.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	43353
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,357
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
    Thread Starter
       18 Oct 2015 #340

    zooburner said: View Post
    Unless you have some kind of restore media you are a bit stuck your options seem to be

    1) Contact your computer seller (if you got it from a shop/online ask them to send you appropriate restore media (unfortunately some charge for this.. but I would pass the charges on to Microsoft see what they say, but don't hold your breath)

    2) If you have the license key printed on your computer you may be able to get a windows (whatever) disk, or if you know someone with a disk you could use that, you will need to get the drivers of the manufacturers website and you are only entitled to use the license key printed on your OWN computer and of course make sure its the same version of windows as you had on before.

    3) Contact Microsoft tell them what has happened and ask them to send you some kind of restore media for the old O.S. I am very doubtful that will work as they will simply suggest you download the windows 10 media creation tool on another computer and make a windows 10 disk

    I personally think Microsoft should take responsibility for this mess up, but I doubt they will they clearly have a one way agenda

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upgrade10jpeg.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	43353

    Good luck
    zoo
    groze said: View Post
    Now Please! Your upgrade is getting impatient!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W10 YOUR UPGRADE IS READY NOW PLEASE.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	43355
    Microsoft antagonizes users with intrusive new Windows 10 upgrade tactics Read all about it!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Windows 10 upgrade- lost User Accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety
I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade. Initially during the upgrade and configuration, I was using my account. However, didn't see my wife's account at login. After install and setup was complete, I was updating a...
WMC user worried about Windows 10 USB upgrade. in Windows Updates and Activation
Hey guys. I currently use a desktop with Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center (x64). According to this report, I am eligible to receive a free copy of Windows DVD Player since, as per forma, Microsoft has once again decided to kill...
Source: Location consent prompts and settings improvements in Windows 10 Mobile | Building Apps for Windows
Read more: Microsoft pushes ahead with 'Office Now' work assistant | ZDNet
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:55.
Find Us