Windows 10: Microsoft pushes Windows 10 upgrade to PCs without user consent

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
  1.    04 Oct 2015 #191

    The pushing of the unwanted download has subsided (in the news, at least). I am wondering if that some people just don't care that it was sent, do not know that they have the download files or because MS is now prioritizing it for those who reserved it. I have 2 friends who reserved it as soon as the GWX reserve was made available and they still have not got it - both systems have been determined compliant and the 'it's coming' message has been received. I have been told it's all about location - servers in your area have to be in the mood. Does anyone know if $Windows~BT downloads to windows phones and Surface or does it have to come pre-loaded. I do not own a Windows phone or tablet so I do not know how much storage they have on board or how updates get delivered. I'm just interested.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 526
    W 7 desktop Home Premium 64 - OS
       04 Oct 2015 #192

    I spent yesterday afternoon and until 8 PM helping a father and son fix their issues on their laptops. One had XP and the other W 7 and both had problems with their antivirus software. I asked what they wanted done and if I could delete the AV software and install Avast. They both agreed. I downloaded Avast first, then deleted Kaspersky on the Dad's, then installed Avast. The Dad had the KB3035583 update and the flag in the notification area. He did not want W 10 at all so I deleted that update, he did not reserve a copy. I set his PC to never update. I told him MS could over ride the never setting and to disable updates in local services. He had malwarebytes and Ccleaner on his PC but didn't know what they were. I explained and scanned with both. His computer was clean of problems.

    I did the same for the 42 year old son. When I scanned with malwarebytes it found 6 pups until it got down to the last few files. He had a total of 894 pups on his machine. Most fun I have had in many years. LOL

    Oh when I was working on the XP there were 9 updates waiting be installed. Didn't they stop updating XP.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2,554
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.1198
       04 Oct 2015 #193

    Emma said: View Post
    I spent yesterday afternoon and until 8 PM helping a father and son fix their issues on their laptops. One had XP and the other W 7 and both had problems with their antivirus software. I asked what they wanted done and if I could delete the AV software and install Avast. They both agreed. I downloaded Avast first, then deleted Kaspersky on the Dad's, then installed Avast. The Dad had the KB3035583 update and the flag in the notification area. He did not want W 10 at all so I deleted that update, he did not reserve a copy. I set his PC to never update. I told him MS could over ride the never setting and to disable updates in local services. He had malwarebytes and Ccleaner on his PC but didn't know what they were. I explained and scanned with both. His computer was clean of problems.

    I did the same for the 42 year old son. When I scanned with malwarebytes it found 6 pups until it got down to the last few files. He had a total of 894 pups on his machine. Most fun I have had in many years. LOL

    Oh when I was working on the XP there were 9 updates waiting be installed. Didn't they stop updating XP.
    Seems like you enjoyed yourself I would of loved to have had that one also where they not old updates or that is the last ones they will get.
    Next ones to go will be vista.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,357
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
    Thread Starter
       04 Oct 2015 #194

    hTconeM9user said: View Post
    I am 67 and have got all the latest upgrades and smart phone, I have to as I live with my young grand daughters who are into that and I have to keep up with it all because if any of it goes wrong they bring it to me to sort out, and also all their computers and tablets have windows 10 on so it is me that sorts it all out.
    Do I enjoy it of course I do it keeps me young and my brain active and will do so in many years to come
    Also thank goodness we are not on metered the amount they are on line and myself also, they are on face book 24/7 on their smartphones
    A friend who lost everything including an "All in One" 7 desktop in a house fire recently just found himself buying a 10 laptop and misses 7. I didn't get the chance to explain to him why he is unable to even get on FaceBook with Edge being the only browser presently while he can go anywhere on his smart phone.

    Here I'm not actually too far behind you while I don't have the same type of situation except "everybody" brings their Windows problems this way! As for the hand helds Each to Their Own!

    essenbe said: View Post
    I understand. I'm in a similar situation, only mine is younger. She lives on the phone, facebook and instant messenger. I have trouble keeping up. She can type faster with 2 thumbs than I can on this keyboard.
    Don't you know they have texting competitions in high schools these days?! Of course when you spend all day doing the exact same thing at every opportunity you can get going real fast at times! zzzzzzzzzzoom! Gone in flash with the last text!

    Once upon a Junior High time I once took a typing class when comtemplating trying out being a writer which never came about and now that I am doing more explaining in text I get two left feet caught up in a bunch at times! "no i have to go back and get that sorted out and worded..."

    Leopard said: View Post
    The pushing of the unwanted download has subsided (in the news, at least). I am wondering if that some people just don't care that it was sent, do not know that they have the download files or because MS is now prioritizing it for those who reserved it. I have 2 friends who reserved it as soon as the GWX reserve was made available and they still have not got it - both systems have been determined compliant and the 'it's coming' message has been received. I have been told it's all about location - servers in your area have to be in the mood. Does anyone know if $Windows~BT downloads to windows phones and Surface or does it have to come pre-loaded. I do not own a Windows phone or tablet so I do not know how much storage they have on board or how updates get delivered. I'm just interested.
    Guess when the notification finally was seen when going to click on the 10 app which has to be done every so often? September 1st after reserving in mid June when first seeing the option right about when the 10 app first appeared with a long list of updates at the time. I didn't keep 7 set to never but at the same time never to unattended full auto either!

    The second email to come in following the reservation confirmation email frist seen will suggest not waiting since it could take days, weeks, and in actuality "months" no less! The email provides a link to the page where you can grab the Media Creation Tool and simply go for broke with 10 on the spot!

    Just be sure to caution those people to "unplug" any additional storage drives, devices like usb or eSata hard drives as well as any other non OS drive installed internally depending on the type of system to avoid seeing 10's installer put things in the wrong places! The entire day back on July 29th was spent trying to get the upgrade to take until finally looking over the clean install guide by chance not the one for the upgrade install and noticed the warning about non OS drives and subsequently found the BT and WS for 64bit where the set up files are actually located with the BT having the optional language packs on the wrong dirve for sure! The boot files ended up on a totally separate drive since those were split up between the two storage drives!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 2,554
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.1198
       04 Oct 2015 #195

    A friend who lost everything including an "All in One" 7 desktop in a house fire recently just found himself buying a 10 laptop and misses 7. I didn't get the chance to explain to him why he is unable to even get on FaceBook with Edge being the only browser presently while he can go anywhere on his smart phone.
    He can get on Facebook with Edge
    Just go to Bing type in Facebook
    Once it comes up
    Click the star that will add it to favourites
    When that comes up open it and favourites bar comes up click add and it will appear
    Then all he has to do is click link and it will take him straight to Facebook
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,357
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
    Thread Starter
       04 Oct 2015 #196

    Edge isn't as ready to replace IE as you may think! That's how MS is going about introducing the replacement browser by more or less forcing people to use a beta form of a new browser in a general OS release?! May be this time next year MS will have it together then where people are paying for their upgrades as well as newer builds are still being worked on. We seem to be running a pre-RTM RTM build!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 2,554
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.1198
       04 Oct 2015 #197

    Well I don't have IE11 at all and Edge Browser works ok for me and even better than IE11, have had no freezes or crashes like I was when I had 8.1 and IE11.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 3,357
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
    Thread Starter
       04 Oct 2015 #198

    You have IE11 and don't even know it! Or should I say you don't know how to look for it? simply by going into the Program Files\Internet Explorer folder of course for the 64bit flavor of IE on the 64bit 10. That would be Program Files(x86) \Internet Explorer for the 32bit flavor.

    Once you open either one up you simply right click to pin the iexplorer.exe file to the Start tiles, Task bar, or both and can right click for seeing a new shortcut created for the desktop as well. Personally I drag all shortcuts into Quick Launch type folders that become additional tool bars on the main task bar. This is something I still have to explain to someone else.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 2,554
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.1198
       04 Oct 2015 #199

    Night Hawk said: View Post
    You have IE11 and don't even know it! Or should I say you don't know how to look for it? simply by going into the Program Files\Internet Explorer folder of course for the 64bit flavor of IE on the 64bit 10. That would be Program Files(x86) \Internet Explorer for the 32bit flavor.

    Once you open either one up you simply right click to pin the iexplorer.exe file to the Start tiles, Task bar, or both and can right click for seeing a new shortcut created for the desktop as well. Personally I drag all shortcuts into Quick Launch type folders that become additional tool bars on the main task bar. This is something I still have to explain to someone else.
    |No I uninstalled it as soon as I up graded to windows 10, and don't have or use crome either.
    Have everything set up how I like it
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       05 Oct 2015 #200

    hTconeM9user said: View Post
    |No I uninstalled it as soon as I up graded to windows 10, and don't have or use crome either.
    Have everything set up how I like it
    How did you uninstall I.E. in windows 10? I thought that was impossible.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Windows 10 upgrade- lost User Accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety
I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade. Initially during the upgrade and configuration, I was using my account. However, didn't see my wife's account at login. After install and setup was complete, I was updating a...
WMC user worried about Windows 10 USB upgrade. in Windows Updates and Activation
Hey guys. I currently use a desktop with Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center (x64). According to this report, I am eligible to receive a free copy of Windows DVD Player since, as per forma, Microsoft has once again decided to kill...
Source: Location consent prompts and settings improvements in Windows 10 Mobile | Building Apps for Windows
Read more: Microsoft pushes ahead with 'Office Now' work assistant | ZDNet
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:06.
Find Us