Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,311
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
       24 Sep 2015 #131

    Leopard said: View Post
    Download GWX Control Panel - MajorGeeks Control Panel will help to rid your system tray of the 'Get Windows 10' notification from continually popping up. It can also prevent unintentional Windows 10 upgrades from occurring via Windows Update. GWX Control Panel really works, is safe and easy to use, and gives you the option to re-enable the icon and upgrade notifications if you're ever ready to move forward with Windows 10.
    You don't need to download anything since the idea is to prevent "something" from downloading in the first place. That would be the KB3035583 10 app update you can easily see removed and hidden from view once it appears on the next manual check for updates. You can also add new registry key with a DWord32 value to "DisableOSUpgrade" by simply following the steps in the guide for this. Get Windows 10 Icon - Remove from Taskbar in Windows 7 and 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    First, thanks for your post on dual booting

    Next, when I use windows 8 and 8.1. I much prefer them over Windows 10, for numerous reasons. I believe for the Metro (Modern Apps) Windows 8 is a far more elegant choice for navigation. If Microsoft had not removed the Windows 7 menu, we wouldn't even be looking at the new Windows 10. Even with that 7 is still my preferred OS, but even 8 stripped away much of the functionality of windows 7.

    NOTE: (I use both Start8 and Classic Menu, I probably prefer Start8)

    I have very little good to say about Windows 10, I will play with it, but doubt I would ever use it as a main OS. In 15 years, when my 7 and 8 machines become to obsolete. If 10 and Edge have not progressed substantially, I will probably switch to OSX (I think by then OSX will be able to install on PCs easily). LOL, even now many of my friends are trying to pressure me into switching.

    But then again, perhaps by then, Microsoft will actually create yet another new OS for people to play with.
    I think you may want to look a further at what else besides the return of the Start menu 10 is bringing in. After the bad rep and understated minimum system requirements(Big Mistake by MS there!) Vista got MS had to make a fast turn around and put some real effort into 7! Likewise MS is now trying to make the 10 the best ever and presently one thing you may not be aware of is the "Windows Feedback" option found in the W section of the AllApps for submitting feedback!

    Presently we are all testing 10 without even the need of being in the Windows Insider program! Upon running into the feedback option plus 10 being a first free upgrade by MS ever seen something is up! Before the offer ends next year what would MS do with a mountain of feedback? Listen to all of the complaints!

    Performance wise as well as examination of the stability being seen with 10 has been proof enough here MS is finally getting back on track to where they had began with 7 taking the lead. 8 on the other hand wasn't well thought out about how to go about introducing a dual platform OS when first stripping a number of things out of Windows!

    The smart move with some foresight would have been to have the regulars at TechNet and Insider test builds with Metro still having left Most things inplace until the dual platform was worked out as you are now seeing take form with 10. Instead they simply stripped down things like dvd and video playback support which came in with WMP 10 for an XP option carried on with Vista and 7 to be suddenly gone in 8! So it wasn't just the Start menu by itself referring to WMP simply as another example.

    Initially with the 8 CP builds being an early bird for 8 is where I was having disk error problems with the two consecutive dual boots first adding 8 into the 7 BCD store not possible for 10 however and the subsequent PC Refresh of 8 still being a headache when the two didn't play well together in any type of joined intermix. As stand alones using the F12 option to select the drive I probably would have never run into those issues but glad I did since it showed it wasn't going to work here. 10 on the other hand much like where the 7 RC was back in 2009 still needing some fixes still to come is so far been running quite smoothly in the larger contrast.

    fredc said: View Post
    A simple " lets get back on the topic of the thread please" would of sufficed lol. Every thread i have ever been a part of veer's off course from time to time , totally normal .
    That happens! People tend to want to get things out as far as how they feel at a personal level from their own experiences regarding the Pros and Cons! Have to expect that! When conversing with a friend and his better earlier they have been watching the Discovery Channel type programs for new technologies and hearing a lot of ideas about how MS wants to make 10 shine above the rest while they may be going about things in too fast a hurry!

    People finding a new OS already partially downloaded and ready to install when they had no knowledge of what was going on isn't a sound business practice! When first seeing the 10 app appear here I had that first thought of what in who is this?! It was a great idea to introduce the option to reserve but not see 10 prep files downloaded and install to download 10 without people first opting to reserve their copy!

    "Hey this is some big update going on!" as someone finds out later they now have upgraded over the version of Windows their 2yr. old pc came with and then blow their tops! You can hear some kid yelling "Hey my parents bought me a new 8 machine and MS turned around and put a new OS on it without...!"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2015
    GWN
    Posts : 74
    W7/64 Pro
       25 Sep 2015 #132

    I deeply apologize for the tone of my post. I should not have let my emotions rule my KB fingers.


    This is what I should have posted: The thread title no longer resembles its contents and that is misleading to those who click on it. Would posters please respect the reader by staying on topic.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    25 Sep 2015 #133

    Night Hawk said: View Post
    I think you may want to look a further at what else besides the return of the Start menu 10 is bringing in. After the bad rep and understated minimum system requirements(Big Mistake by MS there!) Vista got MS had to make a fast turn around and put some real effort into 7! Likewise MS is now trying to make the 10 the best ever and presently one thing you may not be aware of is the "Windows Feedback" option found in the W section of the AllApps for submitting feedback!
    No, I have had well over a year to test 10. IMHO it is poor choice for anyone as an OS, there is nothing under it's "hood" that I care to invest in. If you like it fine, it is just not for me. My decision goes along with the OP, implying how MS is taking advantage of people by installing without user consent. I have lost all faith in Microsoft, I no longer trust them, I think they will screw over the consumer any chance they get. They have lost their morale compass. But, I will give them credit for being a true master at spinning a product and will continue to monitor what they do.

    Oh and the feedback thing, LOL yes, that truly is an inventive selling gimmick. True Master's they are.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2015
    KS
    Posts : 526
    W 7 desktop Home Premium 64 - OS
       25 Sep 2015 #134

    Trust1, I agree. That is why I take drastic measures to keep 10 off and bought another computer for the day my W 7 dies. I don't trust MS anymore. As far as staying on topic, I learn from all the posts especially from personal experiences of others and their feelings.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    25 Sep 2015 #135

    I don't find Win 10 useful to me either , way too much bloat and features / programs that i will never use . To make it even more unattractive they make it much harder to remove the things you don't want , just something i use now until i can get 7 back .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jan 2015
    KS
    Posts : 526
    W 7 desktop Home Premium 64 - OS
       25 Sep 2015 #136

    Fred, I feel the same way, it takes forever to get rid of the junk that was installed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    25 Sep 2015 #137

    Yup, it shouldn't be though is what i'm saying . There should be no need to use "powershell" to eliminate app's , it should be either you like it or you don't and if you don't just click uninstall but that only works with what MS allows you to uninstall .

    The only way i can deal with Win 10 is when everything is mostly gone , i don't have any metro apps and the "store" is completely useless to me as well .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,311
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
       25 Sep 2015 #138

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    No, I have had well over a year to test 10. IMHO it is poor choice for anyone as an OS, there is nothing under it's "hood" that I care to invest in. If you like it fine, it is just not for me. My decision goes along with the OP, implying how MS is taking advantage of people by installing without user consent. I have lost all faith in Microsoft, I no longer trust them, I think they will screw over the consumer any chance they get. They have lost their morale compass. But, I will give them credit for being a true master at spinning a product and will continue to monitor what they do.

    Oh and the feedback thing, LOL yes, that truly is an inventive selling gimmick. True Master's they are.
    By providing feedback MS gets the general idea of just what people think about things and where they have to put more focus on if they want it to sell! Besides being a monopoly they are still a manufacturer wanting a favorable outcome. Obviously with the other OSs in competition they want the Edge(and not browser there) over the market influencing that whenever possible by enticement as well as putting some unnecessary pressure with their current strategy. But nothing free comes without a price of some type!

    By the assessment so far with 10 on more then one system here I haven't found any big negatives to push me away from it while keeping 7 onboard as well. There wasn't anything found with 8 I considered miracle working under the hood there either when it wouldn't play friendly with 7!

    In fact I still haven't gotten to see how DOSBox will work on 10 if at all since I still miss 98SE at times! Can't bring that back full time now can you? Run on a VM maybe. When looking back now I wish I had gone 98SE, 2000, Vista skipping past XP! buggy buggy buggy mare worst OS! MS waited until 7 was almost ready to launch before seeing the 1,000+ fixes XP waited a long time to see appear in SP3! 7 has been smooth sailing and now to see how well 10 works out.

    Emma said: View Post
    Trust1, I agree. That is why I take drastic measures to keep 10 off and bought another computer for the day my W 7 dies. I don't trust MS anymore. As far as staying on topic, I learn from all the posts especially from personal experiences of others and their feelings.
    As you note I haven't abandoned 7 yet just because I decided to take up on a freebie with 10! To the contrary. But as I would expect with each newer version to come there will be differences automatically which will have a bearing on any final decision of whether or not to stick with it or simply dump it! I simply have the feeling the manner of how they are going about pushing 10 may end up back firing on them to a degree.

    fredc said: View Post
    Yup, it shouldn't be though is what i'm saying . There should be no need to use "powershell" to eliminate app's , it should be either you like it or you don't and if you don't just click uninstall but that only works with what MS allows you to uninstall .

    The only way i can deal with Win 10 is when everything is mostly gone , i don't have any metro apps and the "store" is completely useless to me as well .
    If I don't want something MS stuffs into any new version there's always a means to remove it! There are a few freebies found at the MS store while most is a waste of time there. That's mostly due to the incredible amount of 32bit apps already out on the web in both freeware and shareware forms to consider.

    The Metro stuff went out with 8 as far as all that is concerned while 10 is bringing in some interesting features as would any newer version. Anyone for a sidebar and other gadgets for 10? Got some of those going simply by looking elsewhere.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    25 Sep 2015 #139

    Night Hawk said: View Post
    By providing feedback MS gets the general idea of just what people think about things and where they have to put more focus on if they want it to sell! Besides being a monopoly they are still a manufacturer wanting a favorable outcome. Obviously with the other OSs in competition they want the Edge(and not browser there) over the market influencing that whenever possible by enticement as well as putting some unnecessary pressure with their current strategy. But nothing free comes without a price of some type!

    By the assessment so far with 10 on more then one system here I haven't found any big negatives to push me away from it while keeping 7 onboard as well. There wasn't anything found with 8 I considered miracle working under the hood there either when it wouldn't play friendly with 7!

    In fact I still haven't gotten to see how DOSBox will work on 10 if at all since I still miss 98SE at times! Can't bring that back full time now can you? Run on a VM maybe. When looking back now I wish I had gone 98SE, 2000, Vista skipping past XP! buggy buggy buggy mare worst OS! MS waited until 7 was almost ready to launch before seeing the 1,000+ fixes XP waited a long time to see appear in SP3! 7 has been smooth sailing and now to see how well 10 works out.



    As you note I haven't abandoned 7 yet just because I decided to take up on a freebie with 10! To the contrary. But as I would expect with each newer version to come there will be differences automatically which will have a bearing on any final decision of whether or not to stick with it or simply dump it! I simply have the feeling the manner of how they are going about pushing 10 may end up back firing on them to a degree.



    If I don't want something MS stuffs into any new version there's always a means to remove it! There are a few freebies found at the MS store while most is a waste of time there. That's mostly due to the incredible amount of 32bit apps already out on the web in both freeware and shareware forms to consider.

    The Metro stuff went out with 8 as far as all that is concerned while 10 is bringing in some interesting features as would any newer version. Anyone for a sidebar and other gadgets for 10? Got some of those going simply by looking elsewhere.

    It has already cost MS a lot of customers , whether it's enough customers to change anything is another story .

    As per your second comment , (always a way to remove it) is not true , tell me how to remove all traces of Cortana without effecting the OS in a negative way , i would love to start with that .

    I want Twitter permanently removed, Minecraft , Iheart radio and candy crush saga , they remain no matter what method to take to remove them i have found.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,534
    OS X, Win 10
       25 Sep 2015 #140

    Hi Fred. . ."It has already cost MS a lot of customers , whether it's enough customers". . . Is this loss of customers a big problem or just something that happens each time Microsoft changes an OS. Is there a chance they will return or convert to one of the other really big OS's out there. . .oh wait. . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Is Microsoft Ignoring One of the Top User Requests for Windows 10?
Source
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 upgrade- lost User Accounts
I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the free upgrade. Initially during the upgrade and configuration, I was using my account. However, didn't see my wife's account at login. After install and setup was complete, I was updating a...
User Accounts and Family Safety
WMC user worried about Windows 10 USB upgrade.
Hey guys. I currently use a desktop with Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center (x64). According to this report, I am eligible to receive a free copy of Windows DVD Player since, as per forma, Microsoft has once again decided to kill...
Windows Updates and Activation
Mobile Location consent prompts & settings improvements in Windows 10 Mobile
Source: Location consent prompts and settings improvements in Windows 10 Mobile | Building Apps for Windows
Windows 10 News
Office Microsoft pushes ahead with 'Office Now' work assistant
Read more: Microsoft pushes ahead with 'Office Now' work assistant | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums