Well, Windows DVD Player looks and sounds like crap compared to
Windows Media Center, which looks and sounds amazing on most DVD's
Last edited by Edwin; 08 Sep 2015 at 22:59.
I am running Windows 10 x64 ver 10240.
At first I tried several times to install Windows Media Center, following the instructions exactly. With no result. The scripts didn't seem to be running.
I finally got it to work with the following procedure. Don't know which of these steps made the difference.
1. First I reset the default apps settings to Microsoft recommended defaults:
-Settings, System, Default Apps, Reset to Microsoft recommended defaults. press RESET.
2. I extracted the WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0.zip file as a folder on my Desktop (previously it was extracted to my Downloads folder).
3. I opened a Command Prompt (Admin) window. Then didn't touch this command prompt window until Windows Media Center was installed.
-Right Click Start Button, select Command Prompt (Admin).
4. On the Desktop, open the extracted folder "WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0"
-Right Click on Uninstaller.cmd Run As Administrator. Wait until it completes.
-Right Click on _TestRights.cmd Run As Administrator. Wait until it completes. If it opens another Command Prompt window run Installer.cmd, otherwise reboot and then run Installer.cmd.
-Right Click on Installer.cmd Run As Administrator. Wait until it completes. When the message "Press any key to exit." appears in the Command Prompt Window, press a key and close the Command Prompt Window and close any other open Command Prompt Windows then Reboot.
5. The Windows Media Center icon should now be in the All Apps Menu under "Windows Accessories" folder, "Media Center".
If you have problems installing Windows Media Center, hopefully this will work for you, also.
Last edited by Antilope; 09 Sep 2015 at 00:57.
The redistribution of the files is certainly illegal, however some of us have paid for Media Center on the systems we upgraded from so it's fair game imo.
Tested WMC as per the OP's instructions -- working fine (W10 insider build 10532 PRO x-64). Not that I have a lot of use for it - but Hey it's a TEST while waiting for a NEW build !!!).
If Ms were that bothered they would have requested the link be taken down - after all the server isn't exactly "hidden" !!! Also as stated in the previous post in this thread - some people had legitimately PAID for it.
Ok, thanks for the replies from those that tried it. I may give it try on my Media PC.
Some fellow posters (on a TV forum) that use WMC with cable cards are able to load an launch this WMC version. However, they get these errors:
- One gets a "decoder error" when they try to play live TV. It's complaining that the codec is either missing or incompatible.
- The other gets an activation failure while setting up live TV. I suspect this has something to do with their cable card but I'm not sure.
Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you.