Norton Antivirus Is Now a Cryptominer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Norton Antivirus Is Now a Cryptominer

    Norton Antivirus Is Now a Cryptominer


    You can’t be serious. Norton 360, the somewhat-frustrating antivirus software that comes preinstalled on many Windows computers, will soon have a built-in Ethereum cryptominer. In its press release, NortonLifeLock says that Norton Crypto will empower people to mine with a “brand they trust” instead of taking risks and running “unvetted code” on their computers...

    Read more: Norton Antivirus Is Now a Cryptominer … Wait, what? – Review Geek
    f14tomcat's Avatar Posted By:

  1. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,818
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #1

    Hi there
    Home users these days don´t need ANY 3rd party A/V software paid or not. WD in the last year or so is all that's required. You are much more likely at home to be attacked by Scams (almost impossible to defend against by Software) -- some sophisticated A/I - Artificial Intelligence Algorithms - might appear in the future but we are a long way off that yet.

    Fake websites, dubious torrents, opening email attachments from unknown senders, forwarding money to Bank accounts for services when you get emails saying please send to account xxxx when the original one is yyyy, signing up for "dubious tax refunds", giving out too much data over social media etc etc. The list is almost endless. Worry more about those things than technical geeky things like "root kits" etc.

    Professional web masters, e-commerce sites, corporate networks need a different level of security entirely - but for Home users on recent versions of W10 -- WD is all you need.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  2. WXC's Avatar
    WXC
    Posts : 2,035
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 21H1 19043.1110
       #2

    Interesting.

    Thank you TC, @f14tomcat, for the information.
      My Computer

  3. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 11,291
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #3

    I haven't used Norton since Symantec took it over. Have gotten 2 of the 'phishing' E-Mails last several days saying I would be automatically charged for a renewal, same kinda thing as the phone calls about expiring car warranty and some about Medicare.
      My Computers

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 54,855
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
    Thread Starter
       #4

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there
    Home users these days don´t need ANY 3rd party A/V software paid or not. WD in the last year or so is all that's required. You are much more likely at home to be attacked by Scams (almost impossible to defend against by Software) -- some sophisticated A/I - Artificial Intelligence Algorithms - might appear in the future but we are a long way off that yet.

    Fake websites, dubious torrents, opening email attachments from unknown senders, forwarding money to Bank accounts for services when you get emails saying please send to account xxxx when the original one is yyyy, signing up for "dubious tax refunds", giving out too much data over social media etc etc. The list is almost endless. Worry more about those things than technical geeky things like "root kits" etc.

    Professional web masters, e-commerce sites, corporate networks need a different level of security entirely - but for Home users on recent versions of W10 -- WD is all you need.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Thank you Jimbo for the canned reply, but as you are aware, the merits of Norton as an A/V are not the topic of this news story.

    I really wish this could get cleaned up, @Brink
      My Computers

  5. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,818
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #5

    f14tomcat said:
    Thank you Jimbo for the canned reply, but as you are aware, the merits of Norton as an A/V are not the topic of this news story.

    I really wish this could get cleaned up, @Brink
    OK stand corrected -- should have posted in the Security section of Forum -- Consider myself "Spanked".

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  6. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 54,855
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
    Thread Starter
       #6

    jimbo45 said:
    OK stand corrected -- should have posted in the Security section of Forum -- Consider myself "Spanked".

    Cheers
    jimbo
    It's not Security, so News is correct. Your post, absolutely. How about you move it there now?
      My Computers

  7. EdTittel's Avatar
    Posts : 4,171
    Windows 10
       #7

    Hearing this was enough to decide me to get off my duff, build myself a new PC, and make sure that Norton 360 is NOT installed on the new build. I've been running Norton on my production PC for nearly 20 years, and looking for a "push" to get me off of the platform. This is it! Thanks.
    --Ed--
      My Computers

  8. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 11,291
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #8

    EdTittel said:
    Hearing this was enough to decide me to get off my duff, build myself a new PC, and make sure that Norton 360 is NOT installed on the new build. I've been running Norton on my production PC for nearly 20 years, and looking for a "push" to get me off of the platform. This is it! Thanks.
    --Ed--
    Good for you. I really took a dislike of Symantec, several Norton products were discontinued. Windows Security has been doing really good, even catching issues when accessing files in folders on my NAS drives.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,038
    10 + Linux
       #9

    Norton doesn't give cancer. The company is four decades old, Defender was a mouse in the room when they started.

    Think big, a bitcoin is 50K$. I would buy it from Norton.

    Norton is a secure Bank now. +1

    “Norton Crypto is yet another innovative example of how we are expanding our Cyber Safety platform to protect our customers’ ever-evolving digital lives.”
    NortonLifeLock CEO Vincent Pilette

    Another one that will get a bonus for its innovative approach.

    Think big!
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums