Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Joined : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 20,805
    Tower: W8.1; Laptop: W10 Pro build 10586; Windows Phone 8
       13 Sep 2014 #11

    Wow! Was I wrong! If this is true, not only are they keeping the desktop, but they're perfecting it.

    Oh well, I'll have none but one desktop app/portal to rarely use to open very few Win32 apps. When they port Office over to Modern/Metro I'll be 95% in the Modern/Metro.

    There had better be an option for a Start Screen rather then that awful Start Menu, otherwise I'm not buying it. I may install the preview to take a look, but that's about it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    13 Sep 2014 #12

    Odd: On the video at 0:46, when he/she tries to invoke another instance of Calculator on 'Desktop 1' they get thrown back to 'Desktop 2'!
    Not so with 'Desktops' from Sysinternals:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000027.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	5083
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    13 Sep 2014 #13

    Why in the world would you need 100 or more programs installed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,972
    All kinds
       13 Sep 2014 #14

    Gornot said: View Post
    Why in the world would you need 100 or more programs installed.
    I'm real fan of small "Do one thing but do it good" programs. Those large ones, that promise everything but to cook lunch and wash windows and I don't use 10% of their possibilities just take space and are expensive. Only one like that I use is MS Office and even that' s only because of Publisher and because it was forced on me and payed by somebody else. I also like to have couple or more, small specialized programs of the same type for a bit varied conditions. If a program like that is also portable, even better. It adds up after awhile and collection of them get's updated if anything better comes up. Let's say that I have to clean up some pictures, I fire up a program just for that, don't need whole Corel Draw or Photoshop just for that. Have to cut up a video file ? there's program that does only that and another one to put the parts together, I use that one, don't need a multi GB program you need a university degree to use to do simple things like that. KISS is what I like. Some of those large, complicated programs is like using Queen Marry to cross a creek.
    Last edited by CountMike; 13 Sep 2014 at 08:33.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,939
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       13 Sep 2014 #15

    CountMike said: View Post
    I'm real fan of small "Do one thing but do it good" programs. Those large ones, that promise everything but to cook lunch and wash windows and I don't use 10% of their possibilities just take space and are expensive. Only one like that I use is MS Office and even that' s only because of Publisher and because it was forced on me and payed by somebody else. I also like to have couple or more, small specialized programs of the same type for a bit varied conditions. If a program like that is also portable, even better. It adds up after awhile and collection of them get's updated if anything better comes up. Let's say that I have to clean up some pictures, I fire up a program just for that, don't need whole Corel Draw or Photoshop just for that. Have to cut up a video file ? there's program that does only that and another one to put the parts together, I use that one, don't need a multi GB program you need a university degree to use to do simple things like that. KISS is what I like. Some of those large, complicated programs is like using Queen Marry to cross a creek.
    Very well put! I use Publisher 2007 because I really don't need all of the tools that the latest MS Office supplies and I have both a copy/key of it. For my Office needs I use Symphony 2009(IBM) and I love it. It just has the things I need. Word processor and a nice spread sheet tool. Just enough to get the things done that I want, all thriller and no filler!!

    And I live by the KISS method. Simple and small is far better than huge and complex. IMO.. YMMV..
    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,972
    All kinds
       13 Sep 2014 #16

    MS Publisher is fantastic program, I'm using it since v 1.0 and now am on 2013 version, can replace Word and many other programs. Published many things with it, from simple fliers, restaurant menus, small and large catalogs, machine and other manuals and even few books and all of that without using Word or anything like that. Last versions can do PDF and since few versions ago even small internet sites. It's actually smaller, faster and simpler than anything else I have seen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,394
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       13 Sep 2014 #17

    Categories


    CountMike said: View Post
    The old type was practically unusable after 100 or so programs were installed.
    That is why I have "Category" folders in my Start Menu.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start Menu 03.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	5091
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,972
    All kinds
       14 Sep 2014 #18

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    That is why I have "Category" folders in my Start Menu.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start Menu 03.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	5091
    Categories which are completely arbitrary and grouped by what was programed in to programs itself, mostly full of stuf that didn't need to be there at all. For a while I used to make my own, TOOLS for instance, where I would put system and other tools like Ashampoo burning studio, HP Usb format etc. Than I had TESTING folder with test programs, MULTIMEDIA with players and sound and video programs etc. That's the kind of grouping I'm talking about and would like to see. Just the main program in the right group and easily visible with recognizable icon and it's name.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 20,805
    Tower: W8.1; Laptop: W10 Pro build 10586; Windows Phone 8
       14 Sep 2014 #19

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    That is why I have "Category" folders in my Start Menu.
    So do we.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (173).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	270.6 KB 
ID:	5094


    Man that Start Menu is ugly!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,972
    All kinds
       14 Sep 2014 #20

    Even that is on almost same lines, I pared it down to only essential programs in each category, for most used programs I use Start screen like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Metro1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	369.3 KB 
ID:	5095
    and this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metro2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	425.6 KB 
ID:	5096
    But all of that is still spread over too much. Pity that that screen can't be as customizable like main Start screen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Multiple Desktops vs Virtual Desktops
Which would be the preferred option - W10 Multiple Desktops or a 3rd-party utility such as Dexpot...? T.
General Support
Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 – The Power of Windows…Multiplied
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/04/16/virtual-desktops-in-windows-10-the-power-of-windowsmultiplied/#.VS_jmojB0R0.twitter
Windows 10 News
Windows 10: Virtual desktops get a new transition
Read more... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jykd9g4CxZk
Windows 10 News
Microsoft's Windows 'Threshold' expected to add virtual desktops, drop charms
Read more at: http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-windows-threshold-expected-to-add-virtual-desktops-drop-charms-7000032401/
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums