Watch what is next for Windows event on June 24, 2021

Page 33 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
  1. waltc's Avatar
    Posts : 807
    Win10x64 v2004 latest build fast ring
       #320

    ish4d0w said:
    ...
    Also, 10 had a long public beta testing, I suspect 11 will too. I don't think that 10's insider program will turn into windows 11, but might give an option to upgrade to windows 11's beta and enter that OS's insider program, while w10's insider pp may cease operations in a few years time
    10 is still in beta testing--that's what Insider's is. I joined it Oct 1, 2014... Yes, we'll see what happens tomorrow, I guess. I really don't see the slightest material difference between Win10 and this leaked Win11, so it should be interesting!
      My Computer

  2. waltc's Avatar
    Posts : 807
    Win10x64 v2004 latest build fast ring
       #321

    alphanumeric said:
    Licensing really baffles me some times. My two laptops and two desktops all have multiple Digital Licenses as a result of my testing. Those DL's came from my Technet / VS Enterprise sub. I just gave my spare tower to a relative that had their tower die. All those DL's went with it. Including one for 10 Enterprise that got a DL with my MAK key. I guess I could have, one at a time, transferred them to a new device? I don't have said new device and don't really want to take the time to do that. On the tower I gave away I installed 10 Pro and left it at the Out Of the Box Experience screen for them to setup. They get a free Windows 10 Pro, and 10 Education, and 10 Enterprise etc. I used the generic 10 Pro key, no way for the new owner to get my Technet key that way.
    If you open a windows\system32 command prompt and run this...slmgr /dlv Win10 will give you the details on your license, whether it's RETAIL or OEM. At the same command prompt, if you run this...slmgr /xpr Win10 will show you the present activation status of your build (eg., "permanent," etc.)

    slmgr /dlv provides a lot more info than you can get just looking at the Settings\update & security\activation page, if you are interested.

    Over the past five years running on a retail Win10 license upgrade from a retail version of Win8, I've changed motherboards about ~4 times I think and CPUs ~3 times. Each time I had no trouble getting the proper retail Win10 license reactivated. Easiest way to do it is through a Microsoft account, imo, which allows you to install new hardware or delete old hardware under the same license--if it's a RETAIL license. Seems to have worked pretty well thus far.
      My Computer

  3. waltc's Avatar
    Posts : 807
    Win10x64 v2004 latest build fast ring
       #322

    CountMike said:
    Ultimately yes, it's one third of a device, 1/3 Hardware. 1/3 OS and 1/3 Software (Programs APPs, Games......), without each of those parts it's not whole. OS is supposed to make bridge between Hardware and Software so they can do actual work but....
    Windows and most other OSs became an "Operating environment" of which actual OS is just one part and the rest of it is just added software to make it so-so usable at first installation.
    Largest part is GUI, APIs and applets most of which are not even developed by MS but either licensed or leased form other sources.
    Yep...that's true...I've always thought the purpose of Microsoft's OS-included apps & even Edge--or IE when that was a thing--was basically just to get you up and running with enough software to reach the Internet where you could download the latest device drivers direct from the device manufacturers, download the browser of your choice if you don't like Microsoft's browser, and of course whatever third-party applications you might want, and so on...

    Should be an interesting day, the 24th...
      My Computer

  4. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,858
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #323

    waltc said:
    Yep...that's true...I've always thought the purpose of Microsoft's OS-included apps & even Edge--or IE when that was a thing--was basically just to get you up and running with enough software to reach the Internet where you could download the latest device drivers direct from the device manufacturers, download the browser of your choice if you don't like Microsoft's browser, and of course whatever third-party applications you might want, and so on...

    Should be an interesting day, the 24th...
    Yes, will be interesting to see which BS sales pitch will they come up with this time. I'm one of those types "Just the facts ma'am!"
      My Computers

  5. johngalt's Avatar
    Posts : 2,619
    Windows 10 x64 Pro build 21H1
       #324

    waltc said:
    If you open a windows\system32 command prompt and run this...slmgr /dlv Win10 will give you the details on your license, whether it's RETAIL or OEM. At the same command prompt, if you run this...slmgr /xpr Win10 will show you the present activation status of your build (eg., "permanent," etc.)

    slmgr /dlv provides a lot more info than you can get just looking at the Settings\update & security\activation page, if you are interested.

    Over the past five years running on a retail Win10 license upgrade from a retail version of Win8, I've changed motherboards about ~4 times I think and CPUs ~3 times. Each time I had no trouble getting the proper retail Win10 license reactivated. Easiest way to do it is through a Microsoft account, imo, which allows you to install new hardware or delete old hardware under the same license--if it's a RETAIL license. Seems to have worked pretty well thus far.

    I've not changed motherboards nearly as often, but I *have* changed drives and such, and I, too, have had 0 issues. Mine comes back as Retail and Permanent on the checks, with a 1001 rearm count for both Windows and SKU....

    And cleanly installed at least 2x / year (both when using Insider's Preview builds live on bare metal, and later when running only stable release builds on bare metal). And one completely full machine replacement last year with the new rig.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 30
    Win 10
       #325

    I'll be watching but please don't give me the Ballmer jumping monkey boy shouting "Developers, developers, developers..."
      My Computers

  7. larc919's Avatar
    Posts : 3,188
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #326

    rumplestiltskin said:
    I'll be watching but please don't give me the Ballmer jumping monkey boy shouting "Developers, developers, developers..."
    Hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling this is going to be much more smoke than fire. Microsoft has a history of grossly over-hyping the insignificant.
      My Computer

  8. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,806
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #327

    alphanumeric said:
    I was at one time a Microsoft MVP, which then transitioned to what is now Windows Insider MVP. One perk of that was a free TechNet subscription, now know as Visual Studio Enterprise. With that comes Product Keys for pretty well every OS Microsoft ever released, and all versions of Office. If I remember correctly I have test run them all. Some were a very brief look see if I'm honest.
    Everybody has there likes and dislikes. I loved Windows 2000 and went kicking and screaming to XP. I used if for a while but honestly never really liked the experience. And that's pretty well been the trend with each new OS after it. I'm running Windows 10 but honestly find it uninspiring. It does do what I need it to do, but it's been ages since something Microsoft did it to it made me
    I dropped out of the MVP program so my free ride is over. If there is no free upgrade from 10 to 11 I'll just stay on Windows 10.

    I'm a big Raspberry Pi enthusiast. That has taken me to the Dark Side, Linux. It just kind of reminds me of my early Dos days. I can get around and usually do what I need doing but I'm a Linux Noob. On the plus side it has got me into programing in Python which for the most part nas been a lot of fun. I find it very rewarding and its keeping this old brain active.

    Hi there
    python is an excellent language --particularly for things like A.I and robotics -- you can run a python interpreter on Windows too.

    I think also there are some versions of Windows -- is it W10 IOT version ? perhaps that is designed to run on ARM processors so it's possibly not impossible to get a Raspberry PI system to run some sort of Windows !!!!.

    For Linux though absolutely essential not to be scared of the Command line. A lot of Windows users probably don't even use the built in command line and certainly not the power shell.

    As for the announcement - I'll wait until tomorrow -- and review the posts -- Those living in the USA will have had time to inwardly digest and comment on what Ms has to say. However after all the Hoo -Haa with the leaked W11 build and the end of support for W10 announcement I'm sure most bookies would be betting on some sort of W11 announcement -- I'll wait and see.

    Meanwhile I've a VM running the leaked version of W11 and a "Windows to Go" version running on an older laptop just for playing around with. Will hopefully know later whether to "Keep or Destroy" !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  9. swarfega's Avatar
    Posts : 7,247
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #328

    rumplestiltskin said:
    I'll be watching but please don't give me the Ballmer jumping monkey boy shouting "Developers, developers, developers..."
      My Computers

  10. Josey Wales's Avatar
    Posts : 25,177
    Windows 11 Pro 22000.100
       #329

    I will give it a try if offered. It has to be better than 19043.1081.
      My Computer


 
Page 33 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums