KB5000802 CU Windows 10 v2004 build 19041.867 and v20H2 19042.867 Win Update

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 21,421
    19044.1586 - 21H2 Pro x64
       #260

    Jaguwaar20 said:
    I did an in-place once before that worked successfully over two years ago. After just reading Brink's tutorial, I can say for certain I don't remember using the recommended step downloading an ISO. I seem to recall that I used the media creation tool which doesn't require mounting an ISO.
    I meet the OS build requirement. I may not post back with my fail or success result until March 18th which will be tomorrow's date, here in the U.S

    Attachment 323272
    Step 4 doesn't requires a USB/external media and I've used it - it works 4 sure
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 145
    Windows 10 Home
       #261

    steve108 said:
    Step 4 doesn't requires a USB/external media and I've used it - it works 4 sure
    After deliberating a possibility of a compatibility hold on my PC, I think its better choosing step 4. Things could go wrong even with best laid plans. I have a recent Macrium image backup, although.

    Shawn @Brink selected step 4 as the recommended way.

    This tutorial Download Windows 10 ISO File was from Step 4 for how to Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade and is I think where an adjustment by MS occurred since two years ago when I last did an in-place upgrade. Something in regard to the design of Windows 10 Setup when running setup.exe from a Windows 10 ISO file.

    I'm not sure which option you were referring to. Option One or Option Three. if I'm following and understand where you're referring to in the tutorial, Option One using Media Creation Tool says to create an external media.

    Or if you were referring to Option Three for Directly downloading a Windows ISO from Microsoft, it would make more sense

    The tutorial to download an ISO using Media Creation Tool in step # 9 mentions to save the ISO setup exe file to "where you would like to save it" .
    Is this the adjustment Microsoft made with regard to the design of the Windows setup. exe file where external media isn't required to created for the ISO file? ?

    Step 9
    Attachment 323362
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 19,508
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #262

    Jaguwaar20 said:
    After deliberating a possibility of a compatibility hold on my PC, I think its better choosing step 4. Things could go wrong even with best laid plans. I have a recent Macrium image backup, although.

    Shawn @Brink selected step 4 as the recommended way.

    This tutorial Download Windows 10 ISO File was from Step 4 for how to Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade and is I think where an adjustment by MS occurred since two years ago when I last did an in-place upgrade. Something in regard to the design of Windows 10 Setup when running setup.exe from a Windows 10 ISO file.

    I'm not sure which option you were referring to. Option One or Option Three. if I'm following and understand where you're referring to in the tutorial, Option One using Media Creation Tool says to create an external media.

    Or if you were referring to Option Three for Directly downloading a Windows ISO from Microsoft, it would make more sense

    The tutorial to download an ISO using Media Creation Tool in step # 9 mentions to save the ISO setup exe file to "where you would like to save it" .
    Is this the adjustment Microsoft made with regard to the design of the Windows setup. exe file where external media isn't required to created for the ISO file? ?

    Step 9
    Attachment 323362
    You can use either way, make a bootable USB or download ISO, mount it and start SETUP.EXE from either one. Don't BOOT from USB if you want to keep all fires and settings.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 145
    Windows 10 Home
       #263

    CountMike said:
    You can use either way, make a bootable USB or download ISO, mount it and start SETUP.EXE from either one. Don't BOOT from USB if you want to keep all fires and settings.
    Hi @CountMike
    I know it can be done either way.
    I think statistically cases have shown repair installs rarely work. Assuming some truth to that exists, I'm leaning heavily toward downloading the ISO in Shawn's tutorial which lists two options - ONE and THREE for a Windows 10 home PC.

    The question was / is however involving the procedures in Option ONE. I'm not saying they're outdated, I was only referencing MS's Windows 10 Setup design changes that @Brink mentioned regarding running setup.exe from a Windows 10 ISO file.,
    So does or does not the procedure in Option ONE permit to download the ISO onto the desktop and then to start the setup ?
    @steve108 seemed to have alluded that downloading the ISO from Media Creation Tool does not require creating an USB/ external media. That was the gist of my question.

    If its required in Option ONE to create an external media, then I'd prefer to chose the latter Option THREE which appears to allow you to Directly download the ISO onto the desktop.

    Am I misunderstanding that Option THREE is the only one of the two which allows the ISO to be directly downloaded without any USB/external media?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 29,994
    Windows 11 Pro x64 Version 22H2
       #264

    A repair install is very effective in fixing window issues.


    They all basically run the same, Windows has to be running and you invoke by starting setup.exe

    Yes the media creation tool allows you to download to a external source or an internal target. I always create bootable USB for each version I have running, created with MCT and I also create a ISO. Brink "Options" are really just to say if you have media do this or get media using this.


    If you use media creation tool to create USB you navigate to USB and run setup. Now as a USB is slower than a storage disk the suggestion is to run from a mounted ISO. Some say place the ISO on desktop as it is easy to find but can be mounted from "Downloads" or any where else.


    No matter how it is started the notes apply, suspend Bitlocker, remove third party AV, disable secure boot.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 19,508
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #265

    Jaguwaar20 said:
    Hi @CountMike
    I know it can be done either way.
    I think statistically cases have shown repair installs rarely work. Assuming some truth to that exists, I'm leaning heavily toward downloading the ISO in Shawn's tutorial which lists two options - ONE and THREE for a Windows 10 home PC.

    The question was / is however involving the procedures in Option ONE. I'm not saying they're outdated, I was only referencing MS's Windows 10 Setup design changes that @Brink mentioned regarding running setup.exe from a Windows 10 ISO file.,
    So does or does not the procedure in Option ONE permit to download the ISO onto the desktop and then to start the setup ?
    @steve108 seemed to have alluded that downloading the ISO from Media Creation Tool does not require creating an USB/ external media. That was the gist of my question.

    If its required in Option ONE to create an external media, then I'd prefer to chose the latter Option THREE which appears to allow you to Directly download the ISO onto the desktop.

    Am I misunderstanding that Option THREE is the only one of the two which allows the ISO to be directly downloaded without any USB/external media?
    It doesn't really matter which way you get windows installation files. MCT (Media Creation Tool) can help you download Windows and than you can just save the ISO or will format an USB stick and place all files contained in ISO and so make it bootable and usable. If you download just ISO, you can mount it (double click on it) as Virtual disk. From it you can start SETUP.EXE or you can copy all files from ISO to a USB memory formatted to Fat32 and so make it bootable and usable for clean installation or in place upgrade/update or system reset.
    Important part if you want to keep all files, APPs and settings is to start SETUP.EXE from working system and not to BOOT from it because then only option is to renew windows which would end up same as if they were clean installed on an empty disk.
    Last 2 times I did that, I just downloaded and mounted ISO, started SETUP.EXE fro that virtual disk and chose to keep APPs and data. That way all windows system files were replaced by brand new ones while everything else stayed same as it was, didn't loose anything.
    I also keep that downloaded ISO to use if needed again.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 145
    Windows 10 Home
       #266

    Thanks @Caledon Ken for clearing that up. It was what I was looking for. The tut on Download Windows 10 ISO File from Microsoft has some odd step about selecting iPad Pro or iPad when Directly Downloading Latest Windows ISO from Microsoft.
    Not having done one of these in over two years, I started having questions not only because I've only had to do an -in-place upgrade once (knock on wood), but because I can't remember everything I did before.

    - - - Updated - - -

    CountMike said:
    It doesn't really matter which way you get windows installation files. MCT (Media Creation Tool) can help you download Windows and than you can just save the ISO or will format an USB stick and place all files contained in ISO and so make it bootable and usable. If you download just ISO, you can mount it (double click on it) as Virtual disk. From it you can start SETUP.EXE or you can copy all files from ISO to a USB memory formatted to Fat32 and so make it bootable and usable for clean installation or in place upgrade/update or system reset.
    Important part if you want to keep all files, APPs and settings is to start SETUP.EXE from working system and not to BOOT from it because then only option is to renew windows which would end up same as if they were clean installed on an empty disk.
    Last 2 times I did that, I just downloaded and mounted ISO, started SETUP.EXE fro that virtual disk and chose to keep APPs and data. That way all windows system files were replaced by brand new ones while everything else stayed same as it was, didn't loose anything.
    I also keep that downloaded ISO to use if needed again.
    @CountMike thank you so much for clarifying this. I only performed one in-place upgrade before which turned out successfuly, but it was so long ago that not everything about what I did can be remembered.
    I do want be certain Windows systems files are replaced by brand new ones, while everything else isn't lost.
    Then, if I know I performed everything correctly and the repair worked, I can rule out any under-laying hardware issues.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 50,055
    Windows 10 Home 64bit 21H1 and insider builds
       #267

    Jaguwaar20 said:
    Thanks @Caledon Ken for clearing that up. It was what I was looking for. The tut on Download Windows 10 ISO File from Microsoft has some odd step about selecting iPad Pro or iPad when Directly Downloading Latest Windows ISO from Microsoft.
    Not having done one of these in over two years, I started having questions not only because I've only had to do an -in-place upgrade once (knock on wood), but because I can't remember everything I did before.

    - - - Updated - - -


    @CountMike thank you so much for clarifying this. I only performed one in-place upgrade before which turned out successfuly, but it was so long ago that not everything about what I did can be remembered.
    I do want be certain Windows systems files are replaced by brand new ones, while everything else isn't lost.
    Then, if I know I performed everything correctly and the repair worked, I can rule out any under-laying hardware issues.
    Just an FYI. Doing a repair install is not without risk so make sure you have an image backup first.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 29,994
    Windows 11 Pro x64 Version 22H2
       #268

    Total agree with kado897.


    I done lots and lots of repair installs. On one the result was a machine that would not boot.

    @Jaguwaar20

    could you post a disk management screen shot.

    How to Post a Screenshot of Disk Management

    Watch any personal info in shot. (just in case)
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 145
    Windows 10 Home
       #269

    kado897 said:
    Just an FYI. Doing a repair install is not without risk so make sure you have an image backup first.
    Yes. that was one thing I made certain I did not forget to do.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums