Windows 10: After 53 million installs, Windows 10 takes 4.95% of the market

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    17 Aug 2015 #1

    After 53 million installs, Windows 10 takes 4.95% of the market


    It has been a little bit less than three weeks since Microsoft released Windows 10 for consumers around the world. The OS, which is receiving positive reviews from across the web, is being adopted quickly despite there being a few teething issues upfront.

    According to our sources, Windows 10 has surpassed 53 million installs, which StatCounter says now accounts for 4.95% of the market as of last week. At it's peak, Windows 10 was being installed on about 1500 machines per second.

    According to NetMarketshare, Windows 8.1 had 13.09% of the market at the end of July, and OS X 10.10 had 4.74%, which means Windows 10 has likely surpassed the install base of Apple's most recent OS. But comparing StatCounter to NetMarketshare is not always a perfect comparison, as they have different means for collecting the data; and seeing how close the numbers are, the two OSes are likely very similar in marketshare, but it's not definitively possible to say (yet) that Windows 10 has surpassed that of OS X Yosemite.
    http://www.neowin.net/news/after-53-...medium=twitter

    quite a good start
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    17 Aug 2015 #2

    Windows 10 is a real bargain with the free upgrade from Windows 7 & 8.1. Even the retail price is a bargain starting at $119.95.

    Here's a link to a 1993 newspaper article about the launch of MS-Dos 6. The initial price was $49.95. The ultimate price was $129.95. (Third print column over about half-way down lists the MS-Dos 6 price.)

    The Deseret News - Google News Archive Search
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    17 Aug 2015 #3

    They may have had 53 million installs BUT how many of them 53 million has gone back to Win 7/8 ?

    My PC is mainly for gaming and after updating from Win 8.1 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 i was having quite a few problems with my games. Constant freezing, crashing for no reason and very low FPS in some games. Not all games some ran very well in Win 10.

    Im now back on Win 8.1 but will go back to Win 10 once the system is more optimized for gaming.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    17 Aug 2015 #4

    Antilope said: View Post
    Windows 10 is a real bargain with the free upgrade from Windows 7 & 8.1. Even the retail price is a bargain starting at $119.95.

    Here's a link to a 1993 newspaper article about the launch of MS-Dos 6. The initial price was $49.95. The ultimate price was $129.95. (Third print column over about half-way down lists the MS-Dos 6 price.)

    The Deseret News - Google News Archive Search
    And WordPerfect was a bargain at $270!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    17 Aug 2015 #5

    ComedyCarnage said: View Post
    They may have had 53 million installs BUT how many of them 53 million has gone back to Win 7/8 ?

    My PC is mainly for gaming and after updating from Win 8.1 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 i was having quite a few problems with my games. Constant freezing, crashing for no reason and very low FPS in some games. Not all games some ran very well in Win 10.

    Im now back on Win 8.1 but will go back to Win 10 once the system is more optimized for gaming.
    Yeah, on Lego LOTR, my daughter and I have had to go back to my dual-boot OS, because the Windows 10 version blue screens 1/3 of the way through a level about 40% of the time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    17 Aug 2015 #6

    Antilope said: View Post
    Windows 10 is a real bargain with the free upgrade from Windows 7 & 8.1. Even the retail price is a bargain starting at $119.95.

    Here's a link to a 1993 newspaper article about the launch of MS-Dos 6. The initial price was $49.95. The ultimate price was $129.95. (Third print column over about half-way down lists the MS-Dos 6 price.)

    The Deseret News - Google News Archive Search
    I have the 3 floppy disk set for MS DOS 6.2. I'm not sure why.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    18 Aug 2015 #7

    Hi there

    I remember installing Word for Windows (3.1) from a set of about 25 - 35 floppy disks -- it took from what I remember at least 3 attempts and about 2 weeks !!! before I got the product actually installed and working --I got random Disk I/O errors after about Disk nr 17 -- the store exchanged the package though (fortunately).

    I think the cost in Today's money would have been more than 500 USD !! far higher than even the most complete version of Office available currently !!!

    I think the younger members of the Forums should be VERY GRATEFUL to us older pioneers --I think they don't appreciate how easy and cheap (on the whole) everything is these days -- we never gave up if after about 90 millisecs something didn't work and there wasn't Google or even Forums around to get help.

    (BBS's appeared a bit later --some older people here might even have been Sysops on some of them).

    And yes -- however you look at it W10 is a REAL bargain --am testing around 11 different systems --some on VM's - all for ZERO outlay - and also using some old hardware too that was originally destined for a One way trip to the City Tip. !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    18 Aug 2015 #8

    ComedyCarnage said: View Post
    They may have had 53 million installs BUT how many of them 53 million has gone back to Win 7/8 ?
    I can guess who's NOT going to give us those numbers -- Microsoft!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    18 Aug 2015 #9

    We'll I am 3 of the 53 million. Boy I'm such a small piece of the pie!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,284
    Windows 10.3 Home 1703 x64 (Home per choice)
       18 Aug 2015 #10

    I have installed it 20 times on 2 computers. If you take, that people have to upgrade in order to do a clean setup and there are quite a few people, who installed it more than once, I would cut that number by min 2.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Microsoft says 14 million computers now running Windows 10 - The Economic Times
Source: Operating SystemSort AscendingSort DescendingAdd Filter... Total Market ShareSort AscendingSort Descending http://www.netmarketshare.com/shared/images/trend.gif Windows 7 55.99%
http://www.neowin.net/images/uploaded/2015/01/2_img_8942_story.jpg More
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:15.
Find Us