Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
  1.    19 Aug 2015 #61
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 52
    Windows 10

    Be careful about Windows 10


    Be careful about Windows 10.

    1) Shares your personal information with Microsoft by default

    By default, Windows 10 shares a lot of information about you with Microsoft. According to the company's privacy policy, Windows sends Microsoft everything you say to Cortana, Windows 10's Siri-like virtual assistant. It also collects your name and nickname, your recent calendar events, the names of the people in your appointments, and information about your contacts -- including their names and nicknames.
    The good news: If you don't want to share that information, you can disable it.
    The bad news: Microsoft has an incredible 13 separate privacy screens that you'll have to navigate through to shut off all information sharing.
    ======================================================================

    http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/17/tech...ws-10-privacy/
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    20 Aug 2015 #62
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by jyusa View Post
    Non-qualified drivers and non-compatible hardware as well. I do still have one Win 7 Pro system need to replace a video card for Win 10 Pro upgradability.
    I think this to be a bit of take it with a grain of salt.
    I have completed about 15-20 upgrades from Windows 7 Pro/Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro builds on many different machines.
    Some of these are Dell 6 year old laptops Vostros - they completed the process cleanly with no issues.
    These are machines that come with Vista by default or even Windows XP.
    I had the most problems on 2 Surface Pro 3's - they were a pain in the back side, One I had to revert back to Windows 8.1 and upgrade a second time.

    Upgrades over the top of a fresh Windows 7 Pro install - with all drivers installed, no issues what so ever.
    No downloads/patching, just built a Windows 7 Pro usb boot disk and a Windows 10 Pro usb boot disk.
    Desktops/Laptops from 6 to 4 years old, even the less than 1 year - all good as long as all the drivers are install and you don't wipe the partition, had issues with activation doing that.

    Installed Windows 7 Pro making sure the drivers were all good in Device manager.
    Do not update Windows 7 - this had taken up to 3 days sometimes and with some machines I had to reset the Windows update with a batch file (wiping all the registry keys and cache to make it think it had never been updated).
    Then just insert your Windows 10 usb driver and run setup.

    As long as all the driver are installed on Windows 7 Pro you shouldn't have a problem.
    Also I wouldn't rate the performance of Windows 10 Pro upgrading over a 4 year old Windows 7 build with a ton a bloated apps installed.

    Try it with a fresh install - you may be surprised.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    20 Aug 2015 #63
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,826
    OS X, Win 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Learner99 View Post
    Be careful about Windows 10.

    1) Shares your personal information with Microsoft by default

    By default, Windows 10 shares a lot of information about you with Microsoft. According to the company's privacy policy, Windows sends Microsoft everything you say to Cortana, Windows 10's Siri-like virtual assistant. It also collects your name and nickname, your recent calendar events, the names of the people in your appointments, and information about your contacts -- including their names and nicknames.
    The good news: If you don't want to share that information, you can disable it.
    The bad news: Microsoft has an incredible 13 separate privacy screens that you'll have to navigate through to shut off all information sharing.
    ======================================================================

    http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/17/tech...ws-10-privacy/
    . . .OMG. . .look out it that nasty old MS coming after you. . .they want all your information so they can come and get you. . .destroy you, kill you, and . . .what a brunch of crap. . .please. . .really!!!!!!!!!!. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    20 Aug 2015 #64
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 777
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 17046

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorimaj3 View Post
    I think this to be a bit of take it with a grain of salt.
    I have completed about 15-20 upgrades from Windows 7 Pro/Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro builds on many different machines.
    Some of these are Dell 6 year old laptops Vostros - they completed the process cleanly with no issues.
    These are machines that come with Vista by default or even Windows XP.
    I had the most problems on 2 Surface Pro 3's - they were a pain in the back side, One I had to revert back to Windows 8.1 and upgrade a second time.

    Upgrades over the top of a fresh Windows 7 Pro install - with all drivers installed, no issues what so ever.
    No downloads/patching, just built a Windows 7 Pro usb boot disk and a Windows 10 Pro usb boot disk.
    Desktops/Laptops from 6 to 4 years old, even the less than 1 year - all good as long as all the drivers are install and you don't wipe the partition, had issues with activation doing that.

    Installed Windows 7 Pro making sure the drivers were all good in Device manager.
    Do not update Windows 7 - this had taken up to 3 days sometimes and with some machines I had to reset the Windows update with a batch file (wiping all the registry keys and cache to make it think it had never been updated).
    Then just insert your Windows 10 usb driver and run setup.

    As long as all the driver are installed on Windows 7 Pro you shouldn't have a problem.
    Also I wouldn't rate the performance of Windows 10 Pro upgrading over a 4 year old Windows 7 build with a ton a bloated apps installed.

    Try it with a fresh install - you may be surprised.
    Thanks for the advises.

    Unfortunately this particular 7 Pro system was originally upgraded from a XP. It's a first generation AMD 64 and with an very early build NVidia graphics card, self assembled and don't remember how old it is. Get Windows Ten told me that I had an incompatible video card, but I still wanted to try.

    To upgrad to 10, I always used a USB which is more under control. It just didn't pass 3 times included one reinstalled the 7 Pro and immediately upgraded to 10 Pro but failed as well.

    After replaced to the Radeon HD 5450 video card which cost me 30 bucks. It went through 10 Pro with no major issues. Clean installed again and everything looks good.

    I discovered one great benefit was I backed up all those 7 Pro drivers. In 10 Pro even it upgraded okay after rebooted, but dose has few driver issues. After direct to drivers software from the 7 Pro drivers backup, those issues were all gone. This is telling me that 10 Pro does taking drivers from 7 Pro to work.

    Thank you again.
    Last edited by jyusa; 20 Aug 2015 at 20:01.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    20 Aug 2015 #65
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Learner99 View Post
    Be careful about Windows 10.

    1) Shares your personal information with Microsoft by default

    By default, Windows 10 shares a lot of information about you with Microsoft. According to the company's privacy policy, Windows sends Microsoft everything you say to Cortana, Windows 10's Siri-like virtual assistant. It also collects your name and nickname, your recent calendar events, the names of the people in your appointments, and information about your contacts -- including their names and nicknames.
    The good news: If you don't want to share that information, you can disable it.
    The bad news: Microsoft has an incredible 13 separate privacy screens that you'll have to navigate through to shut off all information sharing.
    ======================================================================

    http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/17/tech...ws-10-privacy/
    Interesting.. and this is coming from someone who's using Xp.. an OS that no longer get's security updates??
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    20 Aug 2015 #66
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 91
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by satchmo View Post
    Many large organizations would wait until the coast is clear and most of the bugs have been worked out before migrating to Windows 10. Enterprises have a lot more at stake when an OS doesn't behave properly.

    Give it at least six months before we can conclude anything from the trend. I suspect Windows 10 will be at least as popular as Windows 7. Microsoft has the knack of releasing a popular OS every other version, and since Windows 8 was a dud, Windows 10 should be a winner.
    Most large companies will wait . I do not believe they qualify for the free upgrade but I may be wrong. Many of them are still on Win 2k. It costs a great deal of money for a company such as GM to upgrade.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    20 Aug 2015 #67
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 828
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    Interesting.. and this is coming from someone who's using Xp.. an OS that no longer get's security updates??
    exactly a clear anti Microsoft rant nothing more than that
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    20 Aug 2015 #68
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 299
    Windows 7 (SP1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave44 View Post
    exactly a clear anti Microsoft rant nothing more than that
    He was quoting from an article that does make scary reading !
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    20 Aug 2015 #69
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 299
    Windows 7 (SP1)

    This is perhaps the most worrying for me, Microsoft uses your PC and your internet connection and bandwidth as a server !

    Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ - Windows Help
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    20 Aug 2015 #70
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    México
    Posts : 248
    Windows 10 x64 Home 1703

    People, don't panic that much...
    MS is spying on us? Well... yes, they do, but not as you think, Siri and Google Now do the same, they collect data from users to enhace searches, just that. The thing you must be most concerned is the way they spy your personal files over Onedrive, and your emails... well... if that concerns you a lot (in my case, they can spy as long as they want, I doubt they even know spanish anyway...)

    About the way MS pushes bandwith for WU... you can always disable that, YES, they shouldn't be doing that, I pay my bandwith, I'm not sharing that, are they gonna pay me for using me as a P2P / Seeder? Then I accep gladly so I can affor more speed...

    Honestly, the only thing that worries me a lot, is the way they butchered WU and the ability to configure or disable it, it quite dangerous to leave that thing run on its own... remember those BSODS, Black Screens and the recent Infinite Reboot Loop we had to face with W7, W8.1 and W10?

    I'm writting this from a VM, upgraded to W10 from a W7, And yeah, I kept WU enabled, just to be sure it works as intended... I just wait for the day I will disable it completely and start installing only critical patches manually, as I do with my real W7 machine.

    If MS just returns the abilty to take control of WU, this really would make me upgrade my current OSes... buuuuut...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Bing leads adoption of safe preference for child safety
Source...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:09.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums