Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
  1.    17 Aug 2015 #31
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Colorado
    Posts : 48
    Windows 10

    Remember that Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said he'd consider it a success if they had around 1 Billion Windows 10 devices in three years.

    Three

    Years

    And that will include a lot of new devices being purchased.

    So they aren't worried about the small spikes and downturns just a couple of weeks into the process I suspect.

    http://www.franchiseherald.com/articles/33648/20150730/microsoft-launches-windows-10-promised-1-billion-users-in-3-years-to-shareholders.htm
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    17 Aug 2015 #32
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,424
    win 10 Insider

    Love the perspective that Antilope's clip gives. Shows human nature and the demand curve doesn't change much over time!

    This exercise shows up three main personality types where change is concerned. There are those who want to jump on board a new product and work like beavers to get it right, there are those who may try it but look for any excuse to justify their original predisposition to stay where they are, and there are those who just won't try anything new unless forced.

    As a long time Insider I must be in the first group!

    But businesses are in a different position from individuals. It is a HUGE scary decision to move from a well running OS to a new one. Mass moves for business uptake will take time. Probably a lot of time, especially as they don't get a freebie in the first year.

    While I am an 'early adopter', I hesitated when a person in a small organisation I do support work for asked about this Win 10 prompt she was getting and whether she should go with it. This organisation only has five computers but, nevertheless, they don't need any work disruption, especially as my aim would be to have win 10 look and work just like their win 7 and 8.

    So, risk versus questionable immediate gain. I am still thinking about this one!

    Cheers, all, and whichever OS we want to use, good luck.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    17 Aug 2015 #33
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 297
    Windows 7 (SP1)

    Quote Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
    While I haven't seen anyone turn back after installing it. Over 20 machines and everybody kept it. And anyone that had 8 is definitely not going back, but some people with 7 considered it.
    That's interesting isn't it, I suspect 8.1 to 10 is a more natural curve, even a welcome change than 7 to 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    17 Aug 2015 #34
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    England
    Posts : 944
    Windows IP 17017

    I have gone back to Win 8.1 because it works better than Win10 better luck next time.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    17 Aug 2015 #35
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 113
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    All the early adopters are done. At least, that would be my guess as to the high adoption rates early on. I know several people running 7 or 8.1 who did the whole "Get Windows 10" bit on their PCs, but they have not received their upgrade yet. Probably non-qualified drivers holding back some of these upgrades.
    I did the whole reserve windows 10 on my laptop (Hell, it prompted me to do it, I didn't instigate the request) and it's still not told me it's time to upgrade yet. I imagine there are plenty out there that are still sitting on the sidelines waiting on Microsoft to give them the go ahead.

    Personally I'm fine not doing it to the laptop, as I want to have something under my full control (i.e. not forcing updates on me) but the good part was that it made me update my desktop with some KB updates that were preventing it from asking me if I wanted to reserve a copy for the desktop.

    Oh and my partners Win 8.1 laptop... Same situation, it prompted him to reserve his copy of 10 and he did but he's still not been notified to upgrade and like me he's not in any hurry to really do it to his laptop now that his desktop is upgraded to 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    17 Aug 2015 #36
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 147
    Windows 10 x64

    We were looking to start deployment where I work in January 2016, but we've put the brakes on that for now.

    There is so much more wrong with Windows 10 than we had anticipated.

    There are numerous potential privacy issues, and we have compliance issues to deal with.

    There are numerous bugs, especially in the Modern apps.

    There is severe instability with the Start menu.

    The way Windows 10 can be imaged is poor, at best. Why can Modern apps not be opened and customized in Audit Mode and copied to the default profile? Why are the settings for Modern apps inside accounts created before Sysprep wiped out upon Sysprep being run? Why can't built-in Modern apps be updated before deployment?

    I have to say, we're really disappointed at this point. Could that change? Sure. But Microsoft has got to start thinking of enterprise and they are going to lose them. I really wonder if Microsoft gets it, anymore.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    17 Aug 2015 #37
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 930
    Windows 8.1, Win10Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Traijan View Post
    I did the whole reserve windows 10 on my laptop (Hell, it prompted me to do it, I didn't instigate the request) and it's still not told me it's time to upgrade yet. I imagine there are plenty out there that are still sitting on the sidelines waiting on Microsoft to give them the go ahead.
    You're lucky! I DID get the notification and made the mistake trying to do the Win10 Upgrade. You would think that since the Win10 Compatibility Checker gave me a clean bill of health for the upgrade (NO hardware problems, NO software problems) that the upgrade would have been a success. But no -- it trashed my laptop, leaving it in an unusable state! I had to buy Recovery Media from HP for it and completely rebuild it to get it back working. And the HP Support forums are full of such threads of other folks having similar serious problems. So -- don't be in a hurry to upgrade.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    17 Aug 2015 #38
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,247
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by jfreemont View Post
    We were looking to start deployment where I work in January 2016, but we've put the brakes on that for now.

    There is so much more wrong with Windows 10 than we had anticipated.

    There are numerous potential privacy issues, and we have compliance issues to deal with.

    There are numerous bugs, especially in the Modern apps.

    There is severe instability with the Start menu.

    The way Windows 10 can be imaged is poor, at best. Why can Modern apps not be opened and customized in Audit Mode and copied to the default profile? Why are the settings for Modern apps inside accounts created before Sysprep wiped out upon Sysprep being run? Why can't built-in Modern apps be updated before deployment?

    I have to say, we're really disappointed at this point. Could that change? Sure. But Microsoft has got to start thinking of enterprise and they are going to lose them. I really wonder if Microsoft gets it, anymore.
    I'm guessing your Modern Apps issues are because Modern Apps, including settings, are tied to your Microsoft Account. Likely a per user type of deal.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    17 Aug 2015 #39
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 147
    Windows 10 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I'm guessing your Modern Apps issues are because Modern Apps, including settings, are tied to your Microsoft Account. Likely a per user type of deal.
    It happens even when using a local user account or a domain user account.

    In any case, ideally when you're in Audit Mode, you would be able to open the Modern apps and customize their settings and -- when you run Sysprep generalization with CopyProfile set -- it would copy those settings to the default profile.

    And if you're in Audit Mode, it would let you update the built-in Modern apps and -- when running Sysprep generalization with CopyProfile set -- it would automatically stage any apps installed in the Administrator for all new users so that new users automatically get those updated apps upon logging in the first time.

    And if you create a user account before Sysprep generalization is run, it should just leave those settings and apps alone in that account -- period. I have no clue whatsoever why Sysprep messes with accounts that have already been created.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    17 Aug 2015 #40
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 113
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    You're lucky! I DID get the notification and made the mistake trying to do the Win10 Upgrade. You would think that since the Win10 Compatibility Checker gave me a clean bill of health for the upgrade (NO hardware problems, NO software problems) that the upgrade would have been a success. But no -- it trashed my laptop, leaving it in an unusable state! I had to buy Recovery Media from HP for it and completely rebuild it to get it back working. And the HP Support forums are full of such threads of other folks having similar serious problems. So -- don't be in a hurry to upgrade.
    Well stories like that to laptop users, and stories of the laptop tracpads and the wifi being inop upon upgrading was certainly some of the things that have kept us from upgrading our laptops.

    The company I work for (which is rather smaller side at only 1300 employees) when I talked to one of the I.T. guys he said they're not even considering upgrading to 10 and probably won't for another year or two, they tell me it simply doesn't need to be done at this point when 7 is working fine for them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Bing leads adoption of safe preference for child safety
Source...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums