Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1.    22 Aug 2015 #101
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    United States
    Posts : 132
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe0001 View Post
    That hardly covers the universe of Windows users. I'm actually eager to try Win10, but any knew software is buggy. Microsoft has now passed Win10 on to its gamma test team (sometimes referred to as "customers"). I figure Win10 will be in pretty good shape in a month or two. I was even intending to become part of that test team with one of my PCs, but some of the recent problems with maintenance as convinced me to hold off a bit. (I know that not all users got caught in a rebooting install loop, but I never heard, or didn't understand, the cause.)
    I had a preview build installed on VM and was ready to make the jump until the forced updates with no ability to control when thing came to light and all the cloud oriented stuff. Again, not smart on a capped satellite ISP.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    22 Aug 2015 #102
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 29
    Windows 10 Pro, 8.1 Pro, 7 Ultimate

    Since I'm a new member I can't post a new thread, but I figured this was the best related thread to mention this News article:

    Windows 10's usage share growth flatlines

    The growth march of Windows 10 slowed this week as gains stalled starting on Monday, according to new data from an Irish analytics firm.

    Windows 10's usage share, nearly 6.6% on Sunday, dropped to 5.8% Monday, then slipped to 5.7% Wednesday, numbers from StatCounter showed. Week-over-week increases also weakened, falling from healthy gains in both percentage and absolute terms the week before to the lowest since the July 29 rollout of the new operating system.

    On Tuesday, Windows 10's week-over-week increase fell under 20% for the first time, and its absolute increase in user share slipped under the one-percentage-point bar, also for the first time.
    Source: ComputerWorld
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    22 Aug 2015 #103
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 53
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe0001 View Post
    That hardly covers the universe of Windows users. I'm actually eager to try Win10, but any new software is buggy. Microsoft has now passed Win10 on to its gamma test team (sometimes referred to as "customers"). I figure Win10 will be in pretty good shape in a month or two. I was even intending to become part of that test team with one of my PCs, but some of the recent problems with maintenance as convinced me to hold off a bit. (I know that not all users got caught in a rebooting install loop, but I never heard, or didn't understand, the cause.)
    that reboot loop is why i kept my laptop at windows 7 i am going to wait a while before upgrading to 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 Aug 2015 #104
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    México
    Posts : 247
    Windows 10 x64 Home 1703

    Like people said already, that is not a surprise, they can't be growing 20% a month forever, thats practically impossible.
    Probably market share will grow for W10 in the following weeks or months, but this will depend on how MS dodges all the drama around the OS...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    23 Aug 2015 #105
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Messinias, Greece
    Posts : 186
    Win 10 64bit with AU

    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    I had a preview build installed on VM and was ready to make the jump until the forced updates with no ability to control when thing came to light and all the cloud oriented stuff. Again, not smart on a capped satellite ISP.
    Those forced updates are one of the things putting me off upgrading too. I really don't want to be in a situation where I've taken an update that causes me a lot of grief. So I'm hoping MS decides to change their policy (maybe if enough people complain they will think again). This is a definite backward step as far as I'm concerned.

    Or maybe some of the gurus here will come up with a workaround for those of us using the Home version (please!!!).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    23 Aug 2015 #106
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    United States
    Posts : 132
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by SaggyMaggyPoo View Post
    Those forced updates are one of the things putting me off upgrading too. I really don't want to be in a situation where I've taken an update that causes me a lot of grief. So I'm hoping MS decides to change their policy (maybe if enough people complain they will think again). This is a definite backward step as far as I'm concerned.

    Or maybe some of the gurus here will come up with a workaround for those of us using the Home version (please!!!).
    Even with Pro version to my knowledge there is no way to schedule updates like in the past. Can delay is all. If someone has a way to get notifications before downloading then scheduling a time please let me know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    23 Aug 2015 #107
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 941
    Windows 8.1, Win10Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    This exercise shows up three main personality types where change is concerned. There are those who want to jump on board a new product and work like beavers to get it right, there are those who may try it but look for any excuse to justify their original predisposition to stay where they are, and there are those who just won't try anything new unless forced.
    You're forgetting about the group that is curious about the change, and willing to try it, but not committed until they determine if it works well for them -- which in my experience, is most folks who experiment with change.
    As a long time Insider I must be in the first group!
    So you say, but as a long time Insider, I'm in the group I described -- curious about the changes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    23 Aug 2015 #108
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    California
    Posts : 362
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Bet you will see a huge Windows 10 growth spike in the summer of 2016 as the free upgrade offer nears expiration.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    23 Aug 2015 #109
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,610
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Even with Pro version to my knowledge there is no way to schedule updates like in the past. Can delay is all. If someone has a way to get notifications before downloading then scheduling a time please let me know.
    From what I've read, even if you have Pro, you need access to "Windows update for Business" for total control over updates and upgrades. The only other option is maybe some settings in the group policy editor. That is a Pro only option. I think its mentioned in one of the tutorials.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    23 Aug 2015 #110
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 450
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    From what I've read, even if you have Pro, you need access to "Windows update for Business" for total control over updates and upgrades. The only other option is maybe some settings in the group policy editor. That is a Pro only option. I think its mentioned in one of the tutorials.
    Or just do a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my 2 main machines and leave Windows 10 where it belongs, on a virtual machine for at least another 2 years or even never on my main machines. Actually there are numerous reasons I am not installing 10. No Media Center, Privacy, it looks awful and the start menu is awful are just a few of the top of my head. If it floats your boat then fine. I do not appreciate the monetization of the OS. The OS job is to interface between the user and his machine and then get out of the way. I have also installed some Linux Virtual machines and long term I will be using Linux with 7 in a virtual machine to run the few programs I have or even a PC with 7 after end of life air gapped.
    I do not like the direction Microsoft is going in and neither will any business. Most businesses having recently upgraded to 7 from XP won't be moving any time soon and frankly I can see 7 as the last proper OS Microsoft made being extended until Microsoft come to their senses and release a serious OS instead of the toy OS ten is.
    Like I say I have thought long and hard and tested Ten and still do and it is not for me even free.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Bing leads adoption of safe preference for child safety
Source...
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:48.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums