Microsoft Scraps Windows 8 Major Updates. Bets The Farm On Windows 9

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 13,512
    Windows 10 Pro X64 20H4 19042.746
       #20

    I will gladly accept all Windows 8 or 8.1 license keys anyone doesn't want :)
      My Computers

  2. Jody Thornton's Avatar
    Posts : 487
    Windows 8 Pro x64
       #21

    Indianatone said: ?
    I am positive the fact that M$ have stopped fooling around with 8.1 and decided it is done and buried that they will give 8 and 8.1 users a free upgrade path to Windows 9. It may not be an upgrade install and may need work on the users part but I can see no other choice for M$ after the OS that was very much unloved. Imagine how many licence cards and DVD packs that will end up in the landfill as no one wants them.

    It sounds as if what I'm hearing that free upgrade path rumours will not materialize.
    (PS - is there a reason I am unable to "quote" a previous poster?)

      My Computer

  3. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,809
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 19.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       #22

    Jody Thornton, post: 35140, member: 387 said:
    It sounds as if what I'm hearing that free upgrade path rumours will not materialize.
    (PS - is there a reason I am unable to "quote" a previous poster?)
    I am able to do it using the Reply option at the bottom of the post I want to quote.

    Has your Reply option vanished?
    Microsoft Scraps Windows 8 Major Updates. Bets The Farm On Windows 9-reply-option.png
      My Computer

  4. BunnyJ's Avatar
    Posts : 22,728
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #23

    Jody Thornton, post: 35140, member: 387 said:
    Indianatone said: ?
    I am positive the fact that M$ have stopped fooling around with 8.1 and decided it is done and buried that they will give 8 and 8.1 users a free upgrade path to Windows 9. It may not be an upgrade install and may need work on the users part but I can see no other choice for M$ after the OS that was very much unloved. Imagine how many licence cards and DVD packs that will end up in the landfill as no one wants them.

    It sounds as if what I'm hearing that free upgrade path rumours will not materialize.
    (PS - is there a reason I am unable to "quote" a previous poster?)

    I doubt anyone can say for certain at this point. All we have are lots of rumors and until MS actually says what their intentions are everything is just speculating.

    I do think that MS will try to offer a heavily discounted price for early adapters of Win9.
    Other than that.. I have no clue what they plan on doing. OH yes,, we should see IE12 in Win9.
      My Computer

  5. LittleJay's Avatar
    Posts : 9,647
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       #24

    I do think that MS will try to offer a heavily discounted price for early adapters of Win9.
    I think this is the most likely scenario. Just like the did when Windows 8 first came out.
      My Computer

  6. Indianatone's Avatar
    Posts : 454
    Windows 10 Pro
       #25

    It would save them dumping stuff in landfills if 8.x and Nine both have the same keys? So an 8 key could be used to upgrade to Nine.
      My Computers

  7. BunnyJ's Avatar
    Posts : 22,728
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #26

    Indianatone, post: 35148, member: 49 said:
    It would save them dumping stuff in landfills if 8.x and Nine both have the same keys? So an 8 key could be used to upgrade to Nine.

    Where are you getting that from?? No way would MS use the same key for Win8.x and Win9.
      My Computer

  8. Indianatone's Avatar
    Posts : 454
    Windows 10 Pro
       #27

    BunnyJ, post: 35149, member: 210 said:
    Where are you getting that from?? No way would MS use the same key for Win8.x and Win9.
    I was just contemplating. That is what the forum is for, throwing ideas our there. There is no reason why they could not do that, they did it with 8.1 which at 3 GB Download was a new OS. If they decided to give 9 away to 8 users that is.If they don't a lot of 8 users will feel they have been robbed.
      My Computers

  9. LittleJay's Avatar
    Posts : 9,647
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       #28

    Indianatone, post: 35148, member: 49 said:
    It would save them dumping stuff in landfills if 8.x and Nine both have the same keys? So an 8 key could be used to upgrade to Nine.
    I second what Ztruker wrote:
    I will gladly accept all Windows 8 or 8.1 license keys anyone doesn't want :)
      My Computer

  10. Lee's Avatar
    Lee
    Posts : 4,793
    OS X, Win 10
       #29

    Indianatone, post: 35152, member: 49 said:
    I was just contemplating. That is what the forum is for, throwing ideas our there. There is no reason why they could not do that, they did it with 8.1 which at 3 GB Download was a new OS. If they decided to give 9 away to 8 users that is.If they don't a lot of 8 users will feel they have been robbed.
    Sense you are just contemplating why it it that you seem to believe that all 8 users should have a free upgrade after four years of Windows 8. . .just wondering. . .:) (BTW remember MS did not force you, or anyone else to use 8, it was a choice, and noting more.
      My Computer


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums