Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,935
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       28 Aug 2014 #11

    prithvitheprime said: View Post
    The only am always not happy is they don't do always have a basic edition of the OS; they're releasing. I don't think they will be giving it for free anyways.
    Lee said: View Post
    Help, could someone please explain this please. . .


    I understand the last sentence at least(Highlighted).

    Yup, I doubt any version of the next Windows will be free.
    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,534
    OS X, Win 10
       28 Aug 2014 #12

    Here we go again with Microsoft should be giving it away free. They spend three to four years busting their butts, and now there are those who think that they are owed a free copy of whatever the new system will be. . .come on folks get over the I am entitled, so why should I have to pay. . .
    Last edited by Lee; 29 Aug 2014 at 00:06.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,935
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       28 Aug 2014 #13

    Lee said: View Post
    Here we go again with Microsoft should be giving it away free. They spend three to four years busting their butts, and now there are those who think that they are owed a free copy of whatever the new system will be. . .come on folks get of the I am entitled, so why should I have to pay. . .

    So true. If anyone wants a free OS. Use a distro of Linux of write your own. MS has to pay bills and it's not cheap to develop a top notch OS.

    Free.. yeah.. not in my life time. Or yours.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2013
    Covington, Louisiana
    Posts : 535
    Windows 10 Pro 64
       28 Aug 2014 #14

    Lee said: View Post
    Here we go again with Microsoft should be giving it away free. They spend three to four years busting their butts, and now there are those who think that they are owed a free copy of whatever the new system will be. . .come on folks get of the I am entitled, so why should I have to pay. . .
    I agree in principle with you but all this talk about free updates is coming from inside MS per Mary Jo Foley's "sources" and she does seem to have good "sources" . She mentioned it again just 2 days ago in this article. In Louisiana we call it lagniappe.
    Windows 'Threshold' and cadence: How fast is too fast? | ZDNet

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,390
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       28 Aug 2014 #15

    The trouble with a "free" software, from a commercial entity, is that it is likely to use ads to pay for it.

    Another option is that it could be a "crippled" version, with additional features available as DLC (for an actual charge).
    This could be a better option, depending on how "crippled" the free software is (and how much the additional features cost).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jan 2014
    Carencro, LA 70520
    Posts : 7,639
    Windows 10
       28 Aug 2014 #16

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    The trouble with a "free" software, from a commercial entity, is that it is likely to use ads to pay for it.
    You mean like M$ does in Windows 8 (Bing, One drive, Windows store and Metro for tablets.)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 20,784
    Tower: W8.1; Laptop: W10 Pro build 10586; Windows Phone 8
       28 Aug 2014 #17

    labeeman said: View Post
    You mean like M$ does in Windows 8 (Bing, One drive, Windows store and Metro for tablets.)
    Bing is a search engine just like Google or others. Of course there’s ads if using it in a browser. If using the search feature powered by Bing within 8.1, there are no ads.

    Absolutely no ads in OneDrive.

    In the Store they advertise, well, apps and only apps.

    If you mean “Metro for tablets” as Store apps > There are no ads in the paid-for apps, but there are in most of the free ones. Most times there is a "Pro" version offered where there are no ads.

    I have to ask > Have you used it enough to know?
    Last edited by HippsieGypsie; 29 Aug 2014 at 04:30.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,534
    OS X, Win 10
       29 Aug 2014 #18

    HippsieGypsie said: View Post
    Bing is a search engine just like Google or others. Of course there’s ads if using it in a browser. If using the search feature powered by Bing within 8.1, there are no ads. Absolutely no ads in OneDrive. If you mean “Metro for tablets” as Store apps > There are no ads in the paid-for apps, but there are in some of the free ones.

    I have to ask > Have you used it enough to know?
    Thanks. . .very well stated. . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    29 Aug 2014 #19

    Lee said: View Post
    The only am always not happy is they don't do always have a basic edition of the OS; they're releasing. I don't think they will be giving it for free anyways.
    Help, could someone please explain this please. . .
    Ummm, which part the....

    The only am always

    OR the...

    happy is they don't do always






      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,534
    OS X, Win 10
       29 Aug 2014 #20

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    Ummm, which part the....

    The only am always

    OR the...

    happy is they don't do always






    Thanks for the attempt to explain, albeit I don't do text, nor do I understand it. I am still in the dark as to the meaning. . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Perspective: If Windows 8 = Vista, what's Microsoft's next move?
More to this story.
Windows 10 News
Microsoft Edge - Make a Web Note in Windows 10
How to Make a Web Note on webpages in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web. Microsoft Edge lets you...
Tutorials
Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Will Work on Vista PCs
More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:11.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums