Windows 10: Windows 10 development.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    14 Aug 2015 #1

    Windows 10 development.


    Dev Exclusive How Microsoft built, and is still building, Windows 10

    Emil Protalinski August 13, 2015 9:20 AM

    Windows 10 for PCs arrived two weeks ago. Thankfully, we don’t need to wait years to say this will be a Microsoft operating system release like no other.
    The most obvious clue is not the fact that Windows 10 was installed on more than 14 million devices in 24 hours, that you can get it for cheap or upgrade to it for free, nor even that it ships with a digital assistant and a proper browser. No, the big deal here is that Microsoft is turning its OS into a service, and that means as you read these words, it’s still being built.
    For the next few years, we’ll be getting not just Windows 10 updates and patches, but new improvements and features. This is possible because Microsoft built this version very differently from all its previous releases.

    How Microsoft built, and is still building, Windows 10 | VentureBeat | Dev | by Emil Protalinski
    PS.
    Just run into this article and it answered at least some questions for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    14 Aug 2015 #2

    Thanks. That is a very good read.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    14 Aug 2015 #3

    Hi there

    Not wishing to be the "5th" player in a String quartet - but the idea of a continuing service has downsides as well.

    If you are maintaining say 1000's of PC's in a large organisation Stability is what you need -- any one of the improvements might cause large expensive legacy apps (Say SAP ERP systems etc) to fail with disastrous consequencies for the business.

    There really need to be TWO streams -- Long Term STABLE release and the "Service" idea. As a HOME user the service idea is OK as I can easily roll back if the update doesn't work or has bad side effects. (You all ARE taking regular backups I hope).

    Ms doesn't seem to have a system whereby mass updates can be applied later in the cycle. I'm sure I.T admins don't need the hassle of checking out updates every few days, stress testing these - especially with Corporate legacy applications and then rolling this stuff out across a whole slew of PC's.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    14 Aug 2015 #4

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Not wishing to be the "5th" player in a String quartet - but the idea of a continuing service has downsides as well.

    If you are maintaining say 1000's of PC's in a large organisation Stability is what you need -- any one of the improvements might cause large expensive legacy apps (Say SAP ERP systems etc) to fail with disastrous consequencies for the business.

    There really need to be TWO streams -- Long Term STABLE release and the "Service" idea. As a HOME user the service idea is OK as I can easily roll back if the update doesn't work or has bad side effects. (You all ARE taking regular backups I hope).

    Ms doesn't seem to have a system whereby mass updates can be applied later in the cycle. I'm sure I.T admins don't need the hassle of checking out updates every few days, stress testing these - especially with Corporate legacy applications and then rolling this stuff out across a whole slew of PC's.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    You have something there !
    I too always felt there should be a strictly business editions of windows 10 just for medium and large organizations that can be administered by one person and one place with complete control of updates on all the computers in network. It was idea from first Win NT, business only, no frills.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    14 Aug 2015 #5

    CountMike said: View Post
    You have something there !
    I too always felt there should be a strictly business editions of windows 10 just for medium and large organizations that can be administered by one person and one place with complete control of updates on all the computers in network. It was idea from first Win NT, business only, no frills.
    jimbo45 said: View Post
    There really need to be TWO streams -- Long Term STABLE release and the "Service" idea. As a HOME user the service idea is OK as I can easily roll back if the update doesn't work or has bad side effects. (You all ARE taking regular backups I hope).

    Ms doesn't seem to have a system whereby mass updates can be applied later in the cycle. I'm sure I.T admins don't need the hassle of checking out updates every few days, stress testing these - especially with Corporate legacy applications and then rolling this stuff out across a whole slew of PC's.
    The Enterprise edition allows you to control when and how all updates are applied: "Windows 10 devices in these mission critical customer environments we will provide Long Term Servicing branches ... while minimizing change by not delivering new features for the duration of mainstream (five years)"

    Windows 10 for Enterprise: More secure and up to date | Windows Blog
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    14 Aug 2015 #6

    According to:
    "There also will be a Current Branch available to users of all versions of Windows 10 which will push all security, hot fix and new feature updates to customers once released by Microsoft. And there will be a Current Business Branch, as well, which will allow Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Education and Windows 10 Enterprise users to postpone new feature updates for some set period of time before they must accept them. Microsoft officials are not sharing more specifics about the Current Business Branch at this time, a spokesperson said."
    Some Windows 10 Enterprise users won't get Microsoft's Edge browser | ZDNet
    It is not exactly full control of updates even on LTSB.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    14 Aug 2015 #7

    CountMike said: View Post
    And there will be a Current Business Branch, as well, which will allow Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Education and Windows 10 Enterprise users to postpone new feature updates for some set period of time before they must accept them.

    It is not exactly full control of updates even on LTSB.
    IF you read the full sentence, that only applies to the "Current Business Branch" and not the Long Term Servicing branch.

    CBB is available for Win10 Pro, Win10 Education and Win10 Enterprise... What they're saying is anyone on CBB can't postpone updates indefinitely as you can on the LTSB
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    14 Aug 2015 #8

    What about this part:
    "The LTSB is an option available only to Windows 10 Enterprise customers. Machines on the LTSB will receive only security and hot fixes, and no new features, for ten years. LTSB is an option for customers running mission-critical or otherwise locked-down applications who cannot risk having new features and feature updates pushed to them."
    It clearly states LTSB and nowhere it mentions any voluntary installations.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    14 Aug 2015 #9

    CountMike said: View Post
    What about this part:
    "The LTSB is an option available only to Windows 10 Enterprise customers. Machines on the LTSB will receive only security and hot fixes, and no new features, for ten years. LTSB is an option for customers running mission-critical or otherwise locked-down applications who cannot risk having new features and feature updates pushed to them."
    It clearly states LTSB and nowhere it mentions any voluntary installations.
    It can be setup to use "Windows Update For Business". When setup like that the IT person picks and choses what updates get pushed to PC's and when if ever. Windows 10 Education has the same option for Schools, Collages etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    14 Aug 2015 #10

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    It can be setup to use "Windows Update For Business". When setup like that the IT person picks and choses what updates get pushed to PC's and when if ever. Windows 10 Education has the same option for Schools, Collages etc.
    Nice to know, not that I'm likely to get in that situation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Build better apps: Windows 10 by 10 development series | Building Apps for Windows
Read more: Upcoming Windows 10 Insider build will be from RTM development branch "TH1"
Source: How Windows Insider Feedback Influences Windows 10 Development How to Send Feedback to Microsoft in Windows 10 How to Change Windows 10 Feedback Frequency How to Change Windows 10 Feedback Options
Microsoft say that Windows 10 will be the final version of Windows. Whether that's true or not, it certainly won't be the end of new features being needed, wanted, and added to Windows 10. That being said, the "feature complete" state of Windows...
Read more at: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-9-to-Merge-Windows-Windows-Phone-Development-386979.shtml
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:21.
Find Us