Windows 'Threshold': More on Microsoft's plan to win over Windows 7 users


    Posted: 30 Jun 2014
    Windows "Threshold," the next major version of Microsoft's Windows operating system due to hit around the spring of 2015, is coming into focus.

    And not too surprisingly, one of the Microsoft Operating Systems Group's main goals in designing and developing the coming operating system (OS) release -- which may or may not ultimately be branded as "Windows 9" -- is to try to make it more palatable to hold-out Windows 7 users.

    In order to do this, Microsoft is working on including in Threshold lots of new features specifically aimed at "desktop" users, meaning those who interact primarily with their Windows computing device from a desktop or laptop PC with mouse/keyboard and optional touch.

    With Windows 8.1 Update, Microsoft officials designed Windows around a set of profiles based on the hardware specifications of the devices in use. Certain devices running Windows 8.1 Update include Power and Search buttons on the Metro-style Start screen; others don't. Some of those running Windows 8.1 Update have their machines start up by default in the Desktop/Win32 legacy environment, while others on touch/mobile-first devices start up in the Metro-Style Start Menu by default.

    According to my sources, Microsoft will continue in this vein with Windows Threshold. The Threshold OS will look and work differently based on hardware type.
    Read more: http://www.zdnet.com/windows-thresho...rs-7000031070/
    Brink's Avatar Posted By: Brink
    30 Jun 2014

  1. Phone Man's Avatar
    Posts : 1,309
    Windows 10 Pro 1909 64 bit
       #1

    I find this quote very interesting. Hope her sources are correct.

    The Microsoft OS team is hoping to get as many Windows 7 users moved to Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows 8 users to Windows 8.1 Update in preparation for (hopefully) getting them to move to Threshold once it is out. It's still early in the Windows development cycle for Microsoft to have decided on packaging, pricing and distribution, but my sources say, at this point, that Windows Threshold is looking like it could be free to all Windows 8.1 Update, and maybe even Windows 7 Service Pack 1, users.

    Jim
      My Computer

  2. Lee's Avatar
    Lee
    Posts : 4,793
    OS X, Win 10
       #2

    Phone Man, post: 33392, member: 66 said:
    I find this quote very interesting. Hope her sources are correct.

    The Microsoft OS team is hoping to get as many Windows 7 users moved to Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and Windows 8 users to Windows 8.1 Update in preparation for (hopefully) getting them to move to Threshold once it is out. It's still early in the Windows development cycle for Microsoft to have decided on packaging, pricing and distribution, but my sources say, at this point, that Windows Threshold is looking like it could be free to all Windows 8.1 Update, and maybe even Windows 7 Service Pack 1, users.

    Jim
    Not really sure why people think or even believe that Windows 9 (or whatever) should be free. It is a new OS (maybe), and thus should have a price tag on it. If MS prices OS 9 (or whatever) at the same price as Win 7 and Win 8 then that would be a good thing for all. . .
      My Computer

  3. Trust_No1's Avatar
    Posts : 630
       #3

    Lee, post: 33447, member: 135 said:
    Not really sure why people think or even believe that Windows 9 (or whatever) should be free. It is a new OS (maybe), and thus should have a price tag on it. If MS prices OS 9 (or whatever) at the same price as Win 7 and Win 8 then that would be a good thing for all. . .
    A "good thing for all", how is that?

    I think you may not understand the tech ecosystem of today. Google doesn't charge for their OS, Linux (Android) is free, Apple iPhone, iPad, iPods all OS and updates are free, OS X (Macs) they almost give away. Even Amazon if you want to count them. These companies generate their revenues by charging for apps, music, videos, cloud service, advertising, other services, and their devices.

    Windows 8 is a failure, Windows 7 is not designed for tablets, touch, apps and today's mind set. Microsoft has to get their software into the game or they will be left behind. Why they chose their past route is any ones guess, but it is clear it has not been working.

    I can see very easily why they may upgrade people for free, or even sell it for a small price. People just paid a premium for Windows 8, do you really think they want to shell out another couple hundred dollars a crack after 2 years? If they charge a high price I doubt they would have many takers, I wouldn't buy it. There are far too many other options.

    At least that is the way I see it.
      My Computer

  4. Winuser's Avatar
    Posts : 6,986
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #4

    If MS doesn't offer a discount to upgrade to Windows 9, I won't be upgrading until I have to. For me, Windows 8.1 update 1 does everything I need and then some.
      My Computers

  5. Lee's Avatar
    Lee
    Posts : 4,793
    OS X, Win 10
       #5

    Winuser, post: 33493, member: 360 said:
    If MS doesn't offer a discount to upgrade to Windows 9, I won't be upgrading until I have to. For me, Windows 8.1 update 1 does everything I need and then some.
    That reply sure didn't take long. . .
      My Computer

  6. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 13,505
    Windows 10 Pro X64 20H4 19042.746
       #6

    Windows 9 is everything I want. It's fast, it's customizable, it's cheap, it runs just about anything it's ....

    Oh wait ... it hasn't been released yet!

    Never mind :)
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums