SanDisk unveils the worlds first 4TB SSD

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


  1. Posts : 100
    Windows 10 x64
       #1

    Cool, but I'll still take a mechanical HDD over an SSD any day.
      My Computer

  2. Lee's Avatar
    Lee
    Posts : 4,793
    OS X, Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #2

    LovingWindows, post: 27718, member: 309 said:
    Cool, but I'll still take a mechanical HDD over an SSD any day.
    Why. . .
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 100
    Windows 10 x64
       #3

    Lee, post: 27766, member: 135 said:
    Why. . .
    1. My current HDD is pretty fast as is.
    2. More storage space.
    3. Longer life span (I still have a Maxtor HDD from 20 years ago that still runs like brand new)
    4. Cheaper price
    5. More easy to replace due to the cheaper price
    6. I can purchase more HDD at one time and link them all up if needed.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 372
    Windows 10
       #4

    @4TB, if they start to mass produce these suckers it otta bring down the price, pushing more folks to buy them....

    At least, one could hope.
      My Computer

  5. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 13,521
    Windows 10 IoT
       #5

    LovingWindows, post: 27820, member: 309 said:
    1. My current HDD is pretty fast as is.
    2. More storage space.
    3. Longer life span (I still have a Maxtor HDD from 20 years ago that still runs like brand new)
    4. Cheaper price
    5. More easy to replace due to the cheaper price
    6. I can purchase more HDD at one time and link them all up if needed.
    Longer life span is debatable, IMHO. SSD's will tolerate knocks and bumps a lot better than a spinner will. A definite advantage in a laptop or tablet that gets moved around. Also current SSD's last a lot longer than the earlier versions, and its only getting better.

    Have you used an SSD? The speed difference is phenomenal to say the least. The extra cost is well worth it, IMHO.

    Other advantages include lower power drain and lower heat produced. Also a big advantage in a tablet or laptop.
      My Computer

  6. Lee's Avatar
    Lee
    Posts : 4,793
    OS X, Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    alphanumeric, post: 28279, member: 152 said:
    Longer life span is debatable, IMHO. SSD's will tolerate knocks and bumps a lot better than a spinner will. A definite advantage in a laptop or tablet that gets moved around. Also current SSD's last a lot longer than the earlier versions, and its only getting better.

    Have you used an SSD? The speed difference is phenomenal to say the least. The extra cost is well worth it, IMHO.

    Other advantages include lower power drain and lower heat produced. Also a big advantage in a tablet or laptop.
    Some truly excellent points. . .
      My Computer


  7. strollin's Avatar
    Posts : 771
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10Pro (tablet)
       #7

    alphanumeric, post: 28279, member: 152 said:
    Longer life span is debatable, IMHO. SSD's will tolerate knocks and bumps a lot better than a spinner will. A definite advantage in a laptop or tablet that gets moved around. Also current SSD's last a lot longer than the earlier versions, and its only getting better.

    Have you used an SSD? The speed difference is phenomenal to say the least. The extra cost is well worth it, IMHO.

    Other advantages include lower power drain and lower heat produced. Also a big advantage in a tablet or laptop.
    Some other advantages, no need to defrag. Silent, no mechanical noise or vibration.
      My Computer

  8. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 13,521
    Windows 10 IoT
       #8

    They are a win win in laptop or tablet. Less weight, less heat, extended battery life. And incredibly fast, especially when compared to a 5400 RPM laptop drive. I have two in my laptop and I'm working on getting one for my main desktop PC. Not a 4 TB mind you, likely a 128 GB or 256 GB. If there is a sale when I actually have the money I may get lucky. I'm on a tight budget so I'll just have to wait and see what's out there when the time comes.
      My Computer

  9. LittleJay's Avatar
    Posts : 9,646
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       #9

    I have been running SSD's in both my desktop and laptop for the past 3 years and use spinners only for data storage. To run the OS on a spinner now would drive me crazy for all the reasons mentioned above.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:20.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums