Windows 10: Six clicks: What we think we know about Windows 9

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 16,487
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       10 Apr 2014 #11

    labeeman, post: 18468, member: 194 said:
    Well this really has me interested. I've never been this excited about something since they rolled out the 2015 Mustang!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 16,487
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       10 Apr 2014 #12

    Do you think they might put the Start menu back in and have the metro Start screen? I'm fine with both, but I know that some people really, really want the start menu back.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    21 Apr 2014 #13

    well i think the metro is just as good just a few more finishings in my case would be fine.
    ms should just like add features that the 9 project lacks .
    if ms released a windows 9 which is a combination of xp, 7 and 8 all together, its definetly worth the wait
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 733
    Host W8.0 x64 Guest W10 x86
       11 May 2014 #14

    I don't get the appeal of the "unification theory" of Windows. Why would you want to squeeze a giant OS onto a phone or tablet? Linux has mini-distros for special purposes. Seems like a scam to make you have 4 GB ram on your phone just to make a call.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    11 May 2014 #15

    MilesAhead, post: 28484, member: 195 said:
    I don't get the appeal of the "unification theory" of Windows. Why would you want to squeeze a giant OS onto a phone or tablet? Linux has mini-distros for special purposes. Seems like a scam to make you have 4 GB ram on your phone just to make a call.
    The Windows Phone OS may look like Windows 8.1 but its a totally different beast. The GUI may look identical but the code that does it is different.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    11 May 2014 #16

    sri2000, post: 25374, member: 301 said:
    well i think the metro is just as good just a few more finishings in my case would be fine.
    ms should just like add features that the 9 project lacks .
    if ms released a windows 9 which is a combination of xp, 7 and 8 all together, its definetly worth the wait
    Actually I think its based on CE ME and NT. Once you put that all together you have a solid OS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    11 May 2014 #17

    Actually, the core is the same, the GUI parts are the difference. There are some other differences I am sure.
    But, the unification of the OS across devices is a smart move.

    This has all been spelled out many times, in many different places.

    Same Code, Tweaked Interface per device, makes it easier to code and maintain that code across multiple devices.
    If you have no GUI Tweaks that you are doing and just updating you base code, the code will go out across all devices
    You only need to fix it once, not 2, 3 or 4 times for each different device.

    Think about it this way,,,,, You have IE 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 out in the wild (even 6), Firefox, Opera, and so many more.

    Imagine all those browsers you need to optimize your websites for. (The best sites will play nice across every major browser)
    In some cases, an update/code change could break things on some of these browsers, that you then have to go fix for each one.
    How much time is that going to take?

    Now imagine all of them used the same base code but different GUI's.

    Now how much optimizing/updating do you need to do to make it work across all those browsers?


    BTW, it's already known that WP OS works better than Android on the same low end hardware.
    not to mention WinRT and Win8.x Pro on tablets of the same hardware over Android.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    11 May 2014 #18

    Tepid, post: 28626, member: 222 said:
    Actually, the core is the same, the GUI parts are the difference. There are some other differences I am sure.
    But, the unification of the OS across devices is a smart move.

    This has all been spelled out many times, in many different places.

    Same Code, Tweaked Interface per device, makes it easier to code and maintain that code across multiple devices.
    If you have no GUI Tweaks that you are doing and just updating you base code, the code will go out across all devices
    You only need to fix it once, not 2, 3 or 4 times for each different device.

    Think about it this way,,,,, You have IE 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 out in the wild (even 6), Firefox, Opera, and so many more.

    Imagine all those browsers you need to optimize your websites for. (The best sites will play nice across every major browser)
    In some cases, an update/code change could break things on some of these browsers, that you then have to go fix for each one.
    How much time is that going to take?

    Now imagine all of them used the same base code but different GUI's.

    Now how much optimizing/updating do you need to do to make it work across all those browsers?


    BTW, it's already known that WP OS works better than Android on the same low end hardware.
    not to mention WinRT and Win8.x Pro on tablets of the same hardware over Android.
    Wow. . .that went right over my stroke infested head. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 16,487
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       11 May 2014 #19

    Mine too!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    12 May 2014 #20

    Ditto
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08.
Find Us