KB4540409 for Windows 10 Insider Preview Slow Build 19041.113 Feb. 27 Insider

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. magilla's Avatar
    Posts : 3,114
    Windows 10 and windows insider
       #10

    Josey Wales said:
    Yes, I was just going to post this. I wonder what MS is waiting for?
    Guess its not important to the folks at MS. Important only to just us users!
      My Computer

  2. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,460
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #11

    Hi folks

    Cannot boot the iso (Created from UUPDUMP) on a USB stick (made by RUFUS) -- UEFI boot not working ---- on another machine with no UEFI I can boot the same ISO with MBR option made on an identical USB stick.

    First time I've ever had troubles with this !!!!!

    I know the hardware is OK -- tested booting up a GPARTED ISO and a Linux live distro ISO -- however I think these contain some type of hybrid UEFI/BIOS boot mechanism.

    I can Native boot also into several Linux distros (UEFI boot) so something IMO wrong with the boot process here.


    I can UPGRADE or CLEAN install by running the ISO from within windows but I can't use the iso as for examble a repair option.

    I've 4 HDD's on this machine and 2 SSD's -- I wonder if Windows goes Bonkers at install time when there's a load of Disks around. I'll remove the 4 HDD's (they just quick release so no messing about with hardware disassembly etc.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  3. Danielx64's Avatar
    Posts : 74
    Windows 10 Pro
       #12

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi folks

    Cannot boot the iso (Created from UUPDUMP) on a USB stick (made by RUFUS) -- UEFI boot not working ---- on another machine with no UEFI I can boot the same ISO with MBR option made on an identical USB stick.

    First time I've ever had troubles with this !!!!!

    I know the hardware is OK -- tested booting up a GPARTED ISO and a Linux live distro ISO -- however I think these contain some type of hybrid UEFI/BIOS boot mechanism.

    I can Native boot also into several Linux distros (UEFI boot) so something IMO wrong with the boot process here.


    I can UPGRADE or CLEAN install by running the ISO from within windows but I can't use the iso as for examble a repair option.

    I've 4 HDD's on this machine and 2 SSD's -- I wonder if Windows goes Bonkers at install time when there's a load of Disks around. I'll remove the 4 HDD's (they just quick release so no messing about with hardware disassembly etc.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I once had issues with UUPDUMP created ISOs that won't boot, I just use that site now to get the CU, the ISO for the latest slow ring build is on Microsoft's site anyway.
      My Computer

  4. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,460
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #13

    Hi folks
    @Danielx64

    Downloaded from Ms -- also won't boot from USB --- so what I'll do to "Get round" the problem is create a Virtual machine (the VM can boot the ISO) and then restore it to the target HDD where I want Windows -- I can then use GPARTED or whatever to increase the Windows partition size.

    I thought might be a pronlem with RUFUS to create USB but I also tried Linux dd method -- both methods --fail.

    Don't know why I can't boot this wretched iso !!!! never had probs before with this stuff.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  5. Danielx64's Avatar
    Posts : 74
    Windows 10 Pro
       #14

    That's odd, did you have issues with other windows 10 builds? If not, put that on the USB and then replace the install.wim/install.esd file on the USB.
      My Computer

  6. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,460
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #15

    Danielx64 said:
    That's odd, did you have issues with other windows 10 builds? If not, put that on the USB and then replace the install.wim/install.esd file on the USB.


    Hi there
    no problems at all -- I just wonder because the size of the iso is now > 4GB so FAT32 isn't an option for the format and uefi/NTFS boot still isn't perfectly implemented that problems occur.

    Anyway am going the CREATE VM (that's working OK in VMWARE) , save the Windows VM via Macrium and the stand alnoe restore it to a physical SSD -- if necessary to "Fix boot" from the Macrium menu then simply update to get the proper hardware drivers etc.

    Bit of a long winded way but if that's the only way to do it then I've got loads of time to spare today. !! Good excuse to AVOID going Shopping -- I really will have to teach her to use Amazon etc !!!!!!!.

    The Windows VM create a UEFI boot process so no probs with that one.

    All the Linux stuff works and boot from SSD 1 and my current Windows boots from SSD 2 -- BIOS shows UEFI on both SSD 1 and SSD 2 and will boot. System akso boots from either SSD when the other one has been completely reformatted and wiped including moving the EFI partitions -- wipe partition table etc so it's not like the Linux boot manager is booting Windows (although grub of course can).

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  7. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,028
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #16

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there
    no problems at all -- I just wonder because the size of the iso is now > 4GB so FAT32 isn't an option for the format and uefi/NTFS boot still isn't perfectly implemented that problems occur.

    Anyway am going the CREATE VM (that's working OK in VMWARE) , save the Windows VM via Macrium and the stand alnoe restore it to a physical SSD -- if necessary to "Fix boot" from the Macrium menu then simply update to get the proper hardware drivers etc.

    Bit of a long winded way but if that's the only way to do it then I've got loads of time to spare today. !! Good excuse to AVOID going Shopping -- I really will have to teach her to use Amazon etc !!!!!!!.

    The Windows VM create a UEFI boot process so no probs with that one.

    All the Linux stuff works and boot from SSD 1 and my current Windows boots from SSD 2 -- BIOS shows UEFI on both SSD 1 and SSD 2 and will boot. System akso boots from either SSD when the other one has been completely reformatted and wiped including moving the EFI partitions -- wipe partition table etc so it's not like the Linux boot manager is booting Windows (although grub of course can).

    Cheers
    jimbo
    @jimbo45 ... I experimented. Yesterday, I finally got the 19041 ISO downloaded. Yes, the WIM is 4.1GB, so needed a plan "B".

    Using Rufus 3.8, I created a UEFI:NTFS bootable thumb drive.

    KB4540409 for Windows 10 Insider Preview Slow Build 19041.113 Feb. 27-2020-02-29_06h38_38.png

    Layout of thumb is this. Rufus created the Fat32 boot stuff at the end and the NTFS first partition.

    KB4540409 for Windows 10 Insider Preview Slow Build 19041.113 Feb. 27-2020-02-29_06h43_03.png

    It booted fine, Secure Boot was off(normal here). Carved out a 64GB partition and went thru a dirt-dumb local account install, no frills. It installed Win 10 Pro no hassle.

    KB4540409 for Windows 10 Insider Preview Slow Build 19041.113 Feb. 27-20200229_070047-large-.jpg

    May work for you, probably should.
      My Computers

  8. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,460
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #17

    Hi there

    @f14tomcat

    Tried all that --Been there....Bought the T-Shirt etc etc !!!!

    I think I've finally sorted it

    This old Machine (with UEFI BIOS though) doesn't seem to like creating BOOT from 2 SSD's !!!!! --It WORKS if I restore to a HDD and then clone image to SSD (not restore image) -- otherwise it will only work if BOOT is available whether via GRUB or Windows BOOTMGR from 1 SSD wherever the final OS is actually installed on !!

    So this looks like it's a problem with OLD hardware and using Multiple SSD's to boot from.

    So in future until I get newer equipment I'll just run the updates from within Windows itself and delete the Windows.old file as and when .

    This problem won't be on most people's lists --- Hardware I was using is an older HP GEN 10 Microserver in case anybody is interested. Using 2 SSD's connected to a 1 X HDD controller card.

    So "Peeps" don't waste any more time on this one. I've fixed via "Get around"

    Thanks

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  9. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,028
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #18

    So "Peeps" don't waste any more time on this one. I've fixed via "Get around"


    Wasn't a waste of time. Glad you have a get around.

    Done.

    Fini.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 487
    Windows 10 Pro Dev 21354.1
       #19

    Another thing worth trying is WinSetupFromUSB WinSetupFromUSB | Install Windows from USB with WinSetupFromUSB, multiboot and a lot more . This is what I use to create Windows installs via ISO to USB. By the way, Rufus 3.9 Build 1624 was released today: Releases . pbatard/rufus . GitHub
      My Computers


 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums