KB4524244 Security update for Windows 10 - February 11 Win Update

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. RK1997's Avatar
    Posts : 469
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 x64
       #20

    I wasn't offered this update in 1909.
      My Computers

  2. Win7ine's Avatar
    Posts : 184
    Win10 Pro x64 / WinServer 2016 Essentials
       #21

    sgage said:
    I have no WinRE environment. It is evidently not required.

    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /info
    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
    Information:
    
        Windows RE status:         Disabled
        Windows RE location:
        Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 15b0b32f-7b08-11e9-974d-aa0e89570925
        Recovery image location:
        Recovery image index:      0
        Custom image location:
        Custom image index:        0
    
    REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

    Not sure what you mean by 'In fact there are more than one System reserved Partition.' A quick look with any partition management software shows that there are not more than one system reserved partitions. In my case, there is not even one.
    EFI - System Partition
    16MB Hidden System Partition
    Initially Reserved System Partition 500MB (named Recovery)

    DISKPART> select disk 0


    Disk 0 is now the selected disk.


    DISKPART> list part


    Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Recovery 499 MB 1024 KB
    Partition 2 System 100 MB 500 MB
    Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 600 MB
    Partition 4 Primary 837 GB 616 MB
    Partition 5 Recovery 563 MB 837 GB
    Last edited by Win7ine; 13 Feb 2020 at 09:46.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 177
    Windows 10 Professional
       #22

    RK1997 said:
    I wasn't offered this update in 1909.
    Maybe it doesnt offer it to 1909 clean installs, while it does for upgrades?
      My Computer

  4. RK1997's Avatar
    Posts : 469
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 x64
       #23

    katlani said:
    Maybe it doesnt offer it to 1909 clean installs, while it does for upgrades?
    Possible.
      My Computers

  5. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 1,155
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 18362.418)
       #24

    Win7ine said:
    EFI - System Partition
    16MB Hidden System Partition
    Initially Reserved System Partition 500MB (named Recovery)

    DISKPART> select disk 0


    Disk 0 is now the selected disk.


    DISKPART> list part


    Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Recovery 499 MB 1024 KB
    Partition 2 System 100 MB 500 MB
    Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 600 MB
    Partition 4 Primary 837 GB 616 MB
    Partition 5 Recovery 563 MB 837 GB
    There is potentially a confusion with nomenclature, especially around the words 'reserved' and 'recovery'.

    Of course I have an EFI system partition - that is not the same as the 'System Reserved Partition'. However, on UEFI systems, It seems to have taken over the boot manager/BCD duties from the System RP, but not the WinRE environment.

    That little 16 MB Reserved partition is the 'Microsoft Reserved Partition' (vs. the System RP). I have that on my system. It has no recognizable filesystem, and seems to be just raw 'scratch space'.

    I have no Recovery partition, which, judging from the name and size is maybe doing the WinRE duties from the System RP of old? As you have seen from my reagentc output above, I have no WinRE environment.

    So yes, I see what you mean about several 'reserved' partitions. But different from the 'System Reserved Partition' of old.

    Anyway, I made a chunk of unallocated space, and did a clean install to it, and no System Reserved Volume was created. And from this clean install, the same thing happened: The CU installed fine, I rebooted, checked for updates again, and this Security Update failed.

    I give up.
      My Computer

  6. Win7ine's Avatar
    Posts : 184
    Win10 Pro x64 / WinServer 2016 Essentials
       #25

    sgage said:
    There is potentially a confusion with nomenclature, especially around the words 'reserved' and 'recovery'.
    Of course I have an EFI system partition - that is not the same as the 'System Reserved Partition'. However, on UEFI systems, It seems to have taken over the boot manager/BCD duties from the System RP, but not the WinRE environment.
    That little 16 MB Reserved partition is the 'Microsoft Reserved Partition' (vs. the System RP). I have that on my system. It has no recognizable filesystem, and seems to be just raw 'scratch space'.
    I have no Recovery partition, which, judging from the name and size is maybe doing the WinRE duties from the System RP of old? As you have seen from my reagentc output above, I have no WinRE environment.
    I made a chunk of unallocated space, and did a clean install to it, and no System Reserved Volume was created. And from this clean install, the same thing happened: The CU installed fine, I rebooted, checked for updates again, and this Security Update failed.
    I give up.
    Give up, what and why? You wrote: "I do not have a separate System Reserved partition - never have."

    EFI, WINRE, RESERVED, RECOVERY whatever, all of these are System created AND System Reserved Partitions.
    You have no recovery partition hence you have no active WinRE environment. WinRE can also run off the Primary System Volume (drive C:) if configured in such a way. How did you install WIN10 initially?
      My Computer

  7. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 1,155
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 18362.418)
       #26

    Win7ine said:
    Give up, what and why? You wrote: "I do not have a separate System Reserved partition - never have."

    EFI, WINRE, RESERVED, RECOVERY whatever, all of these are System created AND System Reserved Partitions.
    You have no recovery partition hence you have no active WinRE environment. WinRE can also run off the Primary System Volume (drive C:) if configured in such a way. How did you install WIN10 initially?
    I give up on trying to install this Security Update.

    Again, there used to be one thing that was actually called the 'System Reserved Partition'. These other system partitions are indeed reserved, but are not THE System Reserved Partition, which is what the error message refers to.

    I installed originally by a clean install from USB installer to a pre-existing partition.
      My Computer

  8. Win7ine's Avatar
    Posts : 184
    Win10 Pro x64 / WinServer 2016 Essentials
       #27

    sgage said:
    I give up on trying to install this Security Update.

    Again, there used to be one thing that was actually called the 'System Reserved Partition'. These other system partitions are indeed reserved, but are not THE System Reserved Partition, which is what the error message refers to.

    I installed originally by a clean install from USB installer to a pre-existing partition.
    This "USB installer" was it created by the Windows Media Creation Tool?
    Get it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    In any case you probably need to go through an in place upgrade, this will rectify your issue and also re-create the default partitions for specifics such as WinRE. It shall not take very long.
      My Computer

  9. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 1,155
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 18362.418)
       #28

    Win7ine said:
    This "USB installer" was it created by the Windows Media Creation Tool?
    Get it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    In any case you probably need to go through an in place upgrade, this will rectify your issue and also re-create the default partitions for specifics such as WinRE. It shall not take very long.
    I will give it a try (in place upgrade) a bit later. Thanks for the suggestion - for some reason I hadn't thought of that.
      My Computer

  10. krzemien's Avatar
    Posts : 689
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #29

    RK1997 said:
    Possible.
    Did you check the list of all installed updates once your OS got updated and restarted? This update has only shown up itself there and then.
      My Computers


 
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:16.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums