Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 19559.1000 - February 5 Insider

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,455
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #60

    martyfelker said:
    I am in openSUSE Tumbleweed now and it is installing kernel 5.5.1 from the KOTD repo. After that is finished I'll boot into Windows and start downloading this build. Appreciate the bug fixes - but where are the new features?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Because I have Windows and Linux supposedly on two different disks I didn't realize that by installing GRUB on openSUSE I would over right the Windows Boot Loader. However, I did. Nonetheless, I am now running build 195555 in a VMware WS 15.5.1 Shared VM. In full-screen mode, it is actually better in some ways than running it natively (as jimbo45 can attest).

    Here's the screen shot that Kari won't see because he's blocked me.

    Attachment 265918

    Hi folks worked fine for me in Arch Linux and kernel 5.5.1 --- VMWare WKS also installs automatically on this kernel too via the yay mechanism so I simply backed up the QEMU VM with Macrium , restored the image on to a blank VMWare VM, did some updates (screen driver, NIC driver and HDD driver -- also had to do a "Fix boot problem" and it works as well so 2 versions, QEMU/KVM and a VMWARE workstation. The activation remained on the VMWare workstation version too !!!

    My impression is that the QEMU/KVM VM runs better --the screen handling seems always a bit slower on the VMWare version --maybe Red Hat's QXL/Virtio video driver is better than the Vmware one --- as this machine (HOST) has 2 video ports I'll test later doing a graphics card pass thru. I don't think that's possible though on the VMware version.

    Had no trouble getting ISO via UUPDUMP.

    Not sure if there are any "User noticeable" new features but presumably somethings must be happenning --otherwise what's the point of simply bringing a new build out "for the sake of it".

    WSL seems OK (note you need to enable IOMMU in the VM advanced features in VMWare workstation otherwise you can't enable the WSL feature -- you are enabling a "2nd level or nested VM). With QEMU/KVM you enable nested VM's in the kernel (of the HOST machine !!) :

    sudo modprobe -r kvm_intel nested=1
    echo "options kvm-intel nested=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/kvm-intel.conf

    (If using AMD cpu's change intel to amd).


    Note though VMWare needs to run on a Windows Host to get this to work -- you can run VMWare and QEMU/KVM Virtual machines concurrently but nested virtualisation doesn't seem to work properly on Linux Host with VMWare 15.5. - No prob with KVM/QEMU though so I'll have a go at creating a HYPER-V VM on a Windows VM to see what happens.

    cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  2. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 3,024
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       #61

    First update failure in a while....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 19559.1000 - February 5-update.jpg  
      My Computers

  3. martyfelker's Avatar
    Posts : 2,430
    Windows Insider Fast Ring LatestKUuuntu 20.10
       #62

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi folks worked fine for me in Arch Linux and kernel 5.5.1 --- VMWare WKS also installs automatically on this kernel too via the yay mechanism so I simply backed up the QEMU VM with Macrium , restored the image on to a blank VMWare VM, did some updates (screen driver, NIC driver and HDD driver -- also had to do a "Fix boot problem" and it works as well so 2 versions, QEMU/KVM and a VMWARE workstation. The activation remained on the VMWare workstation version too !!!

    My impression is that the QEMU/KVM VM runs better --the screen handling seems always a bit slower on the VMWare version --maybe Red Hat's QXL/Virtio video driver is better than the Vmware one --- as this machine (HOST) has 2 video ports I'll test later doing a graphics card pass thru. I don't think that's possible though on the VMware version.

    Had no trouble getting ISO via UUPDUMP.

    Not sure if there are any "User noticeable" new features but presumably somethings must be happenning --otherwise what's the point of simply bringing a new build out "for the sake of it".

    WSL seems OK (note you need to enable IOMMU in the VM advanced features in VMWare workstation otherwise you can't enable the WSL feature -- you are enabling a "2nd level or nested VM). With QEMU/KVM you enable nested VM's in the kernel (of the HOST machine !!) :

    sudo modprobe -r kvm_intel nested=1
    echo "options kvm-intel nested=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/kvm-intel.conf

    (If using AMD cpu's change intel to amd).


    Note though VMWare needs to run on a Windows Host to get this to work -- you can run VMWare and QEMU/KVM Virtual machines concurrently but nested virtualisation doesn't seem to work properly on Linux Host with VMWare 15.5. - No prob with KVM/QEMU though so I'll have a go at creating a HYPER-V VM on a Windows VM to see what happens.

    cheers
    jimbo
    I am going to get a chance to test this out tomorrow. I'm going to take my time installing Windows again but I will. I have too much shareware not to.

    - - - Updated - - -

    In the meantime, I've got VirtualBox working fine on openSUSE. BTW both these VMs are activated. Please don't tell M$ there are other virtualization solutions than Hyper-V.
      My Computers

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 52,982
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #63

    dencal said:
    First update failure in a while....
    Did you get it fixed? There are 2 known error code fails, not yours though. May be related somehow, who knows.


    • We’re investigating reports that some Insiders are unable to update to newer builds with error 0x8007042b.
    • We’re looking into reports that some Insiders are unable to update to newer builds with error 0xc1900101.


    I got the second one, but was successful using an ISO.
      My Computers

  5. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,455
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #64

    Hi folks
    The UUPDUMP this time creates the ISO really quickly (I chose Win 10 PRO and also W10 Workstation) as I have the W10 Workstation edition.

    Sometimes - depending if its incorporating a lot of fixes UUPDUMP can take a little while to create the ISO --this time was really fast. Took sround 15 - 20 Mins to install as a VM on a bog standard HP envy laptop (with intel i5 processor) from running the .exe file on the iso.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  6. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 3,024
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       #65

    f14tomcat said:
    Did you get it fixed? There are 2 known error code fails, not yours though. May be related somehow, who knows.


    • We’re investigating reports that some Insiders are unable to update to newer builds with error 0x8007042b.
    • We’re looking into reports that some Insiders are unable to update to newer builds with error 0xc1900101.


    I got the second one, but was successful using an ISO.
    My error code is not one of your quoted above....see my post.
    Have retried Updating.....have been stuck at 6% for an hour....have paused and will try UUP.
      My Computers

  7. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,455
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #66

    dencal said:
    My error code is not one of your quoted above....see my post.
    Have retried Updating.....have been stuck at 6% for an hour....have paused and will try UUP.
    Hi there

    You do seem to have some bad luck with these updates -- have you got some really weird hardware or something.

    I've tried the UUPDUMP method both on AMD and INTEL Cpu's --zilch of a problem.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  8. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 3,024
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       #67

    UUPDump is proving troublesome...stuck....suspect I am getting a bit too old for all this malarkey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 19559.1000 - February 5-mess.jpg  
      My Computers

  9. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 52,982
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #68

    dencal said:
    UUPDump is proving troublesome...stuck....suspect I am getting a bit too old for all this malarkey.
    You're 90% there. Extract the .zip to a folder, right click the script file, and run as Admin. It'll take off downloading the components, then start the ISO build automatically.

    Suggest you temp disable any AV other than Defender.

    Will take approx. 10 mins or so, depending on your machine. Last thing you'll see is "press 0 to continue"
      My Computers

  10. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 3,024
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       #69

    Have gone back to Updating....finally passed from 6% to 7% when computer locked solid with following code error.
    Really pissed off with this flight....giving it a break.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 19559.1000 - February 5-error.jpg  
      My Computers


 
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:22.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums