Cumulative Update KB4515384 Windows 10 v1903 build 18362.356 Sept. 10 Win Update

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 5,815
    Win 11 Pro (x64) 21H2
       #90

    Bree said:
    No. I didn't. In Pro x64 I had the default SmartScreen settings (on, all set to 'warn') and no group policies in place.

    Change Windows SmartScreen Settings in Windows 10
    Yeah, I never touched mine either and have the same settings as you. Odd. I get a little nervous when ever I get a warning an app may be problematic, especially since said app is from Microsoft.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 24,461
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #91

    Farvatten said:
    I guess what really surprised me was this statement under the MSRT link in Details - Use this tool:
    MSRT targets prevalent malware families only. For comprehensive malware detection and removal, consider using Microsoft Safety Scanner.
    The difference is that MSRT only scans for those malware that are though by MS to to be active at the moment, while the Microsoft Safety Scanner uses the same full definitions database that Defender uses. I guess it's a compromise so that the MSRT scan doesn't take too long.

    Each release of the tool helps detect and remove current, prevalent malicious software. This malicious software includes viruses, worms, and Trojan horses. Microsoft uses several metrics to determine the prevalence of a malicious software family and the damage that can be associated with it.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...mo#releaseinfo
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 270
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (19044.1706)
       #92

    I use Open Shell so hadn't noticed this until now but when I tried to access the Windows start menu I got the message "Critical Error, your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in." Signing out and back in didn't fix it.

    On the off chance it might be a conflict with Open Shell I uninstalled it but that didn't work. Neither did running SFC scan (shows no corruption). Even tried DISM Restore Health, same result.

    I may revert back to latest Macrium image and try a repair install later.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 814
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 21H2 19044.1706
       #93

    Bree said:
    ...while the Microsoft Safety Scanner uses the same full definitions database that Defender uses. .
    Ahhh, thanks.. makes sense, especially with MSS being time sensitive as it says:

    "Safety Scanner only scans when manually triggered and is available for use 10 days after being downloaded. We recommend that you always download the latest version of this tool before each scan."

    Bree said:
    ... I guess it's a compromise so that the MSRT scan doesn't take too long.
    I would imagine MSS's longer scan time is why it's not pushed religiously every month like MSRT has. ( I do seem to remember over the years it's skipped months like yesterday before). I know the inconvenience of MSRT's added travel and run time to these monthly CU Updates already is not appreciated by many users.

    Clearly MS is relying more and more on it's real time protection seeing even Defender Quick Scans kind of taking a back seat now. Defender stopped bothering to remind me to do full scans for a while now, like it use to.

    I wonder if a manual MSRT will eventually follow suit? I'm sure they're keeping stats on what it's been finding, and over the years with problems dwindling, it will get to a point where they won't burden 99.999% of the Windows community for the .001% that might benefit.

    Bottom line - I guess unless you've got serious symptoms, they won't recommend this harsher manual MSS medicine.
      My Computers

  5.   My Computer


  6. Posts : 13,929
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #95

    Did that fix the Action center, volume and battery problem for you?
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 270
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (19044.1706)
       #96

    Actually I reverted back to an image from before a day or two before the update. Everything's fine now. Also deferring CU's until this gets fixed.

    Thought I'd point this out in case anybody else wanted to try it.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,568
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
       #97

    OldGuyFromCdn said:
    I use Open Shell so hadn't noticed this until now but when I tried to access the Windows start menu I got the message "Critical Error, your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it next time you sign in." Signing out and back in didn't fix it.

    On the off chance it might be a conflict with Open Shell I uninstalled it but that didn't work. Neither did running SFC scan (shows no corruption). Even tried DISM Restore Health, same result.

    I may revert back to latest Macrium image and try a repair install later.
    what version of Open Shell do you have installed?
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 13,929
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #98

    OldGuyFromCdn said:
    Actually I reverted back to an image from before a day or two before the update. Everything's fine now. Also deferring CU's until this gets fixed.

    Thought I'd point this out in case anybody else wanted to try it.
    I restored my macrium image then found KB4512941 was installed in that image and Action center and sound didn't work. Uninstalling WU fixed it for me.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 270
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (19044.1706)
       #99

    erpster4 said:
    what version of Open Shell do you have installed?
    4.4.138
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums