Windows 10: Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week

Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
  1.    08 Aug 2015 #81

    vijaykhai said: View Post
    Can you please detail the steps to set my wifi as Metered? Thanx.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    08 Aug 2015 #82

    Let me choose...


    Just wanted to add that what I hope (and pray for) in this Service Release is the ability to block driver updates. While I can understand Microsoft wanting to keep the OS up and running, it's universally known that even "new" drivers can break things and decrease performance - ex. GPU drivers.

    Additionally I may not want just the driver, but also the settings package that may come with drivers directly from a vender - ex. Catalyst Control Center, NVidia's control center, a soundcard's control center.

    Bottom line: let me chose the drivers I want, you (MS) can have the Windows side of the house.

    My two cents.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 230
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
       08 Aug 2015 #83

    sygnus21 said: View Post
    Just wanted to add that what I hope (and pray for) in this Service Release is the ability to block driver updates. While I can understand Microsoft wanting to keep the OS up and running, it's universally known that even "new" drivers can break things and decrease performance - ex. GPU drivers.

    Additionally I may not want just the driver, but also the settings package that may come with drivers directly from a vender - ex. Catalyst Control Center, NVidia's control center, a soundcard's control center.

    Bottom line: let me chose the drivers I want, you (MS) can have the Windows side of the house.

    My two cents.

    I agree...

    Why can't WINDOWS UPDATES be for... well... UPDATES FOR WINDOWS???

    Why does it have to be updates for Windows plus drivers? Windows Updates should have 0 control over system's drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    08 Aug 2015 #84

    sygnus21 said: View Post
    Just wanted to add that what I hope (and pray for) in this Service Release is the ability to block driver updates. While I can understand Microsoft wanting to keep the OS up and running, it's universally known that even "new" drivers can break things and decrease performance - ex. GPU drivers.

    Additionally I may not want just the driver, but also the settings package that may come with drivers directly from a vender - ex. Catalyst Control Center, NVidia's control center, a soundcard's control center.

    Bottom line: let me chose the drivers I want, you (MS) can have the Windows side of the house.

    My two cents.
    I have to agree with you on that one. I've had issues in the past with Windows 10 and drivers delivered via Windows Update. I had to actually stop running Windows 10 on my laptop because of it. Knock on wood though, lately I've been OK. The drivers delivered via Windows Update worked a charm on the same laptop when I upgraded to 10 this time around. If anything is going to cause a BSOD its going to be a bad driver.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    08 Aug 2015 #85

    You can already disable driver installation from Windows Update.

    Search for "device installation settings" then choose "no, let me choose what to do" > click "never install driver software from Windows Update."
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    08 Aug 2015 #86

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Hm. seems to me the bug is with upgrade installs? Photo Viewer is still there only broken. On a clean install its not there and doesn't lunch by accident?
    Ran the reg fix and the photo viewer is 'Picasa Photo Viewer' now. This was the default viewer before the clean install I did. I expected windows photo viewer so am a bit surprised. Not worried, as Picasa viewer is fine!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    08 Aug 2015 #87

    Some I want though, I'd like to just block the one that's the issue, not all of them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    08 Aug 2015 #88

    BrownianMotion said: View Post
    You can already disable driver installation from Windows Update.

    Search for "device installation settings" then choose "no, let me choose what to do" > click "never install driver software from Windows Update."
    OK, but does the control panel actually stop drivers for like your soundcard, GPU and stuff like that? Or is it strictly for devices like smartphones, cameras, external HD's, or stuff like that? Notice the camera icon? (circled in red)...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Search.PNG 
Views:	327 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	29627

    Here's the actual panel btw, and the options you get if you choose No...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Device installation settings.PNG 
Views:	328 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	29628

    At any rate I didn't know about that setting so thanks in that regards. However I'm not sure it does what we're asking.

    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    08 Aug 2015 #89

    I've pointed it out in the past in other threads and was told it didn't work? It didn't stop the driver they wanted stopped. It might have been because it had already been downloaded and in the driver store. Don't know? I thought it worked for me in the past, in Windows 8.1 anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    08 Aug 2015 #90

    I was previously getting a ton of unwanted driver updates in Windows Update for my GPU. I selected "never install driver software from Windows Update" and I have not received any graphics driver updates from Windows since. So it definitely works (at least for me.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source
Read more: Windows 10 for phones preview might come out this week
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28.
Find Us