Windows 10: Windows 8.2 release date, news and rumors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    09 Nov 2013 #1

    With Windows 8.1, Microsoft addressed some of the problems that scuffed the original Windows 8 release, smoothing the cracks between desktop and touch UIs, improving snapped apps, and allowing users to boot direct to the desktop, among other tweaks and fixes. For many, this is the software that Microsoft should have launched in 2012.

    For others, Windows 8.1 simply makes Windows 8 slightly less terrible. The truth is that, while Windows 8.1 improves Windows 8, the consensus is that it doesn't do enough. Before an all-new, rewritten-from-the-ground-up, cloud embracing Windows 9 appears, we might Windows 8.2 as a stop-gap.
    Read more - http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...rumors-1191563
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    09 Nov 2013 #2

    My guess is they will have Win8.2 early next year and Win9 in 2015.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    10 Nov 2013 #3

    Been churning out OS's quite regularly since Vista, Microsoft has. Personally I don't think its necessary to release something so often. The Linux crowd do that (every 6 months actually) and it isn't always a happy experience. I'm quite content to wait for the perfect, finely tuned OS experience.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    17 Nov 2013 #4

    I would also say that, with the "timetable" in mind, to release something called 8.2 next year, would have a bad impact on let us say, Windows 9. But maybe that is the plan. No more innovative new OSs, just a progression, through updates, of the existing one
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 324
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32
       17 Nov 2013 #5

    Anything "New & Improved" will be welcome here. Win 8.? still leaves a lot to be desired for the OLD Home PC user. And just another PITA for us tech's, like to explain to an old user, why their O.E.6 is gone forever.
    I just installed Thunderbird today, on a Win-8.1, 32 bit machine and it's really a close match for O.E.6, but not a true CLONE. It does import the old Address Book from OE6 with little to no problem.

    So now we wait...... for the 'Next Big Thing', Eh?

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,379
    Windows 10 64 bit
       17 Nov 2013 #6

    I'm hoping they don't release another one yet, unless they do a cheap deal like they did with Windows 7, I can't afford another one yet and I quite like this 8.1 Notebook.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    17 Nov 2013 #7

    Joan Archer, post: 3584, member: 14 said:
    I'm hoping they don't release another one yet, unless they do a cheap deal like they did with Windows 7, I can't afford another one yet and I quite like this 8.1 Notebook.
    8.2! 8.2! 9.0!!! I only found out about 8.1 yesterday!

    I guess that's being effectively-offline for a year, for you! Say hello to Rosie, Joanie B. She's curled up on my lap. I can't reach my coffee or cigs and I'm using the onscreen keyboard. It'd be just like the old days if Mike was around; up half the night, typing into the void! Just dling 3rd version of 8.1 - x86 one for testing in VPC. Obviously, I'm increasingly supporting W8 users, so running it purely for that. I do prefer it - as long as it has a retro-fitted Start Menu, that is - to Vista. I was going to install Vista in VPC, then realised I'd lost the key. Meh.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    18 Nov 2013 #8

    bigseb, post: 2726, member: 98 said:
    Been churning out OS's quite regularly since Vista, Microsoft has. Personally I don't think its necessary to release something so often. The Linux crowd do that (every 6 months actually) and it isn't always a happy experience. I'm quite content to wait for the perfect, finely tuned OS experience.
    I stand by this. Not really interested in updates on an existing OS. Rather I would want something brand... all shiny and beautiful and unknown... and desktop oriented...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,379
    Windows 10 64 bit
       18 Nov 2013 #9

    The Real Shane, post: 3610, member: 126 said:
    8.2! 8.2! 9.0!!! I only found out about 8.1 yesterday!

    I guess that's being effectively-offline for a year, for you! Say hello to Rosie, Joanie B. She's curled up on my lap. I can't reach my coffee or cigs and I'm using the onscreen keyboard. It'd be just like the old days if Mike was around; up half the night, typing into the void! Just dling 3rd version of 8.1 - x86 one for testing in VPC. Obviously, I'm increasingly supporting W8 users, so running it purely for that. I do prefer it - as long as it has a retro-fitted Start Menu, that is - to Vista. I was going to install Vista in VPC, then realised I'd lost the key. Meh.
    Well hello there friend, it's so nice to hear from you again, I've missed you and as many times as I tell myself I'll give you a ring the times gone and I've not done it, sorry, sending my love to Rosie I've got a new kitten now as well. Post in the Chillout room and we can carry on talking.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    11 Dec 2013 #10

    The way I see it is 8.2 is just additions/modifications to the current 8/8.1. Windows 9 however, is a separate project. 8.2 will likely be free to those running 8/8.1. 9 will likely be a pay for to get version. It wouldn't surprise me if it was subscription based or has it as an option.
    I'm looking forward to the 8.2 update. I liked what they did Metro wise in 8.1 and hope they do more improvements.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Windows 10 Release Date in General Support
Does anyone here believe that Windows 10 will be very likely to come out in June 2015 or is that wishful thinking? I want it now so badly but I would hate to have to wait until September or even July or August. Microsoft needs to speed things...
Read more at: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/windows-9-release-date-news-and-rumours-1029245
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59.
Find Us