How to get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903

Page 42 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast
  1.    #410

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    If you decide to do a clean install please make a complete system Image and test boot media to restore.
    Myself I would wait. That machine will eventually be converted.
    Thanks for the suggestions. As expected, only a clean install of 1903 solved my problem. However, I made a complete backup of system and boot partition with EaseUS Todo Backup, which includes installed applications and data directories such as Program Files x86/x64, AppData and ProgramData directories. I really liked this software, it was easy to use and it was able to restore data from backup in a selective way, I mean, I could choose to restore only the folders that I wanted.

    However, registry keys were lost, like file associations and applications entries shown on Programs and Features. Do you know if it's safe to restore those, or I'd better not mess with Windows Registry and just reinstall the applications?

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. kado897's Avatar
    Posts : 26,255
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       #411

    ksio89 said: View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. As expected, only a clean install of 1903 solved my problem. However, I made a complete backup of system and boot partition with EaseUS Todo Backup, which includes installed applications and data directories such as Program Files x86/x64, AppData and ProgramData directories. I really liked this software, it was easy to use and it was able to restore data from backup in a selective way, I mean, I could choose to restore only the folders that I wanted.

    However, registry keys were lost, like file associations and applications entries shown on Programs and Features. Do you know if it's safe to restore those, or I'd better not mess with Windows Registry and just reinstall the applications?

    You are really not supposed to do that. An image backup should really only be restored as a complete image. You can extract individual files but programs are so tied into the registry that all sorts of grief awaits you if you just restore them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 23,434
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18312
       #412

    magilla said: View Post
    look at post #395 from @f14tomcat
    Yeah, I saw that, but having to download to each and every PC with the assistant takes much longer than mounting and running a "repair install".
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. magilla's Avatar
    Posts : 2,361
    Windows 10 and windows insider
       #413

    Wynona said: View Post
    Yeah, I saw that, but having to download to each and every PC with the assistant takes much longer than mounting and running a "repair install".
    my point, Wynona, is that people who are having problems with install would best be served by Assistant even though it takes longer --- do you want an install? If so, wait a little longer, having some more coffee makes the time pass! On one of my OLD lappys, it took 4.5 hours to install but it is installed!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 41,638
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #414

    Azucho98 said: View Post
    The update assistant works, but creating a USB drive to update is much faster - you don't have to download the update EVERY time when using a USB drive.
    Wynona said: View Post
    Yeah, I saw that, but having to download to each and every PC with the assistant takes much longer than mounting and running a "repair install".
    magilla said: View Post
    my point, Wynona, is that people who are having problems with install would best be served by Assistant even though it takes longer --- do you want an install? If so, wait a little longer, having some more coffee makes the time pass! On one of my OLD lappys, it took 4.5 hours to install but it is installed!!
    That was my whole point. If having a USB attached is preventing it, then slow is better than no.

    A workable alternative to getting it installed.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 23,434
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18312
       #415

    magilla said: View Post
    my point, Wynona, is that people who are having problems with install would best be served by Assistant even though it takes longer --- do you want an install? If so, wait a little longer, having some more coffee makes the time pass! On one of my OLD lappys, it took 4.5 hours to install but it is installed!!
    There aren't enough hours in the day for this to happen on seven very old, very slow Windows 10 machines in our Senior Activity Center, Magilla. Hours are 7:30 to 3:30 (I guess we all need our naps after 3:30).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. magilla's Avatar
    Posts : 2,361
    Windows 10 and windows insider
       #416

    Wynona said: View Post
    There aren't enough hours in the day for this to happen on seven very old, very slow Windows 10 machines in our Senior Activity Center, Magilla. Hours are 7:30 to 3:30 (I guess we all need our naps after 3:30).
    if that gets it installed, and nothing else works, then you make the time. Take two or 3 days if necessary. My old lappy that took 4.5 hours finished while I slept!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 11,410
    10 Home x64 (1903) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #417

    Wynona said: View Post
    Yeah, I saw that, but having to download to each and every PC with the assistant takes much longer than mounting and running a "repair install".
    If you have room on the PC's HDD, copy Setup.exe and the Sources folder from the install usb to a temp folder on the PC. Remove the usb then do a repair install by running Setup from the temp folder. Done that on several of mine. Delete the temp folder when done.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9. OldOzzie's Avatar
    Posts : 32
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1903
       #418

    Wynona said: View Post
    Yep, and it's not Microsoft's fault either. I think OEMs are jumping the gun on this just to save a couple bucks. Not only are OEMs eliminating DVDs, but they're giving us 32 GB hard drives instead of something usable! I took two HPs back to Office Depot because I couldn't get Windows 10 to update; not enough storage space. I'm probably not the only one who took 'em back either because OD doesn't seem to carry them any more.

    I teach Windows 10 to Seniors and can plainly see the need for an adequate hard drive and a DVD drive! Seniors don't have the disposable income of those still in the workforce. I would say NAS is completely out unless I build it with extra parts laying around. Still a hit to the pocket book for the OS. For the same reason, external SSDs are out to. I don't think USB sticks will go out too soon, and they're getting cheaper.
    Absolutely !!
    If I was on a budget and/or not in workforce, I sure wouldn't have either the nas or an external ssd.
    Agree with you on the OEMs trying to save $$ by not installing them, yet my belief is it's corporate greed that drives it all, as it gives them another reason to offer something new, yet make people pay more for something that isn't adequate.
    We unfortunately live in a world where we are told what you need / should have and then inundated with bullshit advertisements to try and back it all up. It's going down the toilet
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    #419

    magilla said: View Post
    With your downloaded iso on c drive then, getting rid of any thing in your dvd drive and your usb drive, mount and run your iso from within windows. I have this on 5 computers, 4 of which I installed in this manner. It worked flawlessly and I have many third-party programs on these computers. The time varied from 35 minutes to 4.5 hours. The lengthy install was on an old laptop with many programs but an old centrino processor and only 4 gb memory. With all the programs on these computers, none are games. So, no game-blocking software that makes windows stumble and fail, as much as AV and malwarebytes does. Good luck.
    Thanks Magilla, I tried your suggestion and it failed in the exact same manner as before.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 42 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: What's new for Windows 10 Insider Preview Builds (19H1) | Microsoft Docs See also: How to get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903 Windows 10 and Server 1903 ISO now available to download on MSDN What is new for IT pros in...
UPDATE 5/21: How to get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903 UPDATE 5/19: Cumulative Update KB4505057 Windows 10 Insider 1903 build 18362.116 UPDATE 5/1: New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 18890 (20H1) - May 1 Insider -...
Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/What-s-new-in-Windows-Update-for-Business-in-Windows-10-version/ba-p/622064 See also: How to get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903 What is new for Windows 10 May...
Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/What-s-new-for-IT-pros-in-Windows-10-version-1903/ba-p/622024 See also: How to get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903 What is new for Windows 10 May 2019 Update...
Source: Now accepting Windows 10, version 1903 submissions - Microsoft Tech Community - 473707
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:00.
Find Us