How to get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903

  1.    #1130

    Out of the blue:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	137 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	238168


    But it was deemed as okay and ready in the last two weeks - since 12/06 as per my earlier updates in this thread...!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 5,025
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       #1131

    Delly10 said: View Post
    I just saw your post, and it interested me because I'm in the exact same situation. I have 1709 and want to get 1903.

    When you did it, did you have to do a clean install of 1903? That's what I'm being told I would have to do. The only way I'm told I could avoid a clean install is to do an update to 1803, and then 1809, and then 1903. Is that what you had to do?
    Bree said: View Post
    Actually, I expect you to be pleasantly surprised. I hav (so far) successfully upgraded to 1903 from 1809, 1803, 1511 and 1507 - all went smoothly. I don't see why 1709 (or 1607) should be any different.
    Hi,
    Just mounting the 1903 iso was always successful in finishing a lot faster too seeing you don't have to wait for the updating to do the downloading.
    Problem always was having more update setting before mounting than after mounting 1903 from any prior build 1809/ 1803/ 1709 all came back incomplete with the 365 day pause option missing
    Only 35 day pause and new option 30 day Dated page for exactly which date to install updates on were there.

    Only saving nothing gave me all new and old updating options which is not a very good imho.
    sfc is totally worthless as always didn't detect any issues even though there were.

    Make a system image and mount the iso is best I can say it should work just not 100% as it should.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 11,690
    10 Home x64 (1903) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #1132

    ThrashZone said: View Post
    ...Just mounting the 1903 iso was always successful in finishing a lot faster too seeing you don't have to wait for the updating to do the downloading....

    The downloading is the least of the problems, windows update does a lot of processing after the download, more than doubling the time taken compared to the ISO method. I timed each step here...

    How long does the 1903 upgrade take using Windows Update?

    ...after mounting 1903 from any prior build 1809/ 1803/ 1709 all came back incomplete with the 365 day pause option missing...
    There is a bug in 1903. If you set a non-zero number of days to defer features updates or quality updates then they disappear from the Advanced options. If you had either of them set before upgrading they will also disappear.

    Bree said:
    ...The contents of these Windows Update settings pages are only refreshed when you check for updates, either the automatic check or manually. Set a number of days then check for updates will make the option(s) disappear straight away.

    Using Regedit to set 'DeferFeaturesUpdatePeriodInDays' or 'DeferQualtyUpdatePeriodInDays' back to zero in the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings will make them visible again (after another 'check for updates').
    Known issues for Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903 - post #67
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    #1133

    Delly10 said: View Post
    When you upgraded to 1903 from versions earlier than 1809, did you have to do a clean install? That's what I've been told I'd have to do if I upgraded to 1903 directly from 1709. They said I'd have to first upgrade from 1709 to 1803, then to 1809, and then to 1903. Is this true? I'd like to go directly to 1903 but don't want to do a clean install as a result. I'm waiting to know for sure before proceeding.
    Also worth mentioning just before applying the instructions by @Bree in post #1129, don't forget to make a system image backup. This is very important before proceeding to any major change to your machine and is one essential step that one doesn't realize until it is too late.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    #1134

    Zonk!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	238275
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    #1135

    Bree said: View Post
    Who told you that? It's not true, you can skip as many versions as you like. Just use the MCT to make the 1903 ISO, mount it, then run Setup.exe on the root of the ISO to start an in-place upgrade.

    Download Windows 10 ISO File

    This tutorial tells you how to do an in-place upgrade, see Step 4.

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

    Not having tried the step from 1709 to 1903, I've tested it for you. Here is my test machine (System Two below). part way through an in-place upgrade from 1709 to 1903.

    Attachment 238120

    Attachment 238122


    Edit: and some 90 minutes later it finished, with all files and apps still there.

    Attachment 238124
    Thank you very much for the data! The person I asked was a staff member at the public library where I am now. Another staff member referred me to him because he's got some kind of college degree in computers. I guess that doesn't automatically make him an expert in all things related to computers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    #1136

    IronZorg89 said: View Post
    Also worth mentioning just before applying the instructions by @Bree in post #1129, don't forget to make a system image backup. This is very important before proceeding to any major change to your machine and is one essential step that one doesn't realize until it is too late.
    I wish I could. I don't have an external drive to do that, but I do have a flash drive that I back up all my personal files to. If something goes wrong and I end up having to do a clean install, I won't lose my personal stuff. Programs will all have to be downloaded again though, but there aren't too many of those. I made a list of about 17 that I'd want to get back.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8.    #1137

    Delly10 said: View Post
    I wish I could. I don't have an external drive to do that, but I do have a flash drive that I back up all my personal files to. If something goes wrong and I end up having to do a clean install, I won't lose my personal stuff. Programs will all have to be downloaded again though, but there aren't too many of those. I made a list of about 17 that I'd want to get back.
    Sorry to hear that. Very hard for me to know, but I think it would be wise to have an external HDD for regular backups using MR (Macrium Reflect) free edition. Nowadays, one cannot go on without them, otherwise you are prone to have big (huge) problems in the foreseeable future. Worst, You cannot be doing a clean install every time you are in a situation for a restore of your system. That could be really time consuming.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    #1138

    Bree said: View Post
    Good, looks like it is on course. This stage can be slow, so have patience.
    Hi, Bree. Got one more quick question: When I download the .iso file, do I have to go through the installation process right afterwards? I'd like to just download it (using the public library's Wi-fi) and then continue with the installation after I get home rather than have to sit around and wait maybe 90 minutes for the install to finish after the big download. I tried this once before and the .iso went missing. I've noticed how after I download normal updates, a message says, "Do not turn your computer off". Well, I hibernated it and planned to let the installations happen later, but they never do. I didn't think hibernating was the same as "turning off" since it saves everything in place. What if I put the computer to "Sleep"? Would that allow me to wait until I get home?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 11,690
    10 Home x64 (1903) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #1139

    Delly10 said: View Post
    Hi, Bree. Got one more quick question: When I download the .iso file, do I have to go through the installation process right afterwards? I'd like to just download it (using the public library's Wi-fi) and then continue with the installation after I get home rather than have to sit around and wait maybe 90 minutes for the install to finish after the big download. I tried this once before and the .iso went missing. I've noticed how after I download normal updates, a message says, "Do not turn your computer off". Well, I hibernated it and planned to let the installations happen later, but they never do. I didn't think hibernating was the same as "turning off" since it saves everything in place. What if I put the computer to "Sleep"? Would that allow me to wait until I get home?
    Yes, you can download the ISO file at your library, take it home, then use it any time you want after that. When you are ready to upgrade, mount the ISO file by double-clicking on it. It will appear in File Explorer as a DVD drive. Run the Setup.exe you'll see on the root of the DVD to start the upgrade.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Source: What's new for Windows 10 Insider Preview Builds (19H1) | Microsoft Docs What's new in Windows 10, version 1903 IT Pro content | Microsoft Docs See also: How to get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903 Windows 10 and...
UPDATE 7/9: Cumulative Update KB4507453 Windows 10 v1903 build 18362.239 - July 9 UPDATE 5/21: How to get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903 UPDATE 4/23: Microsoft blocks Windows 10 May 2019 Update with USB device or SD card -...
Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/What-s-new-in-Windows-Update-for-Business-in-Windows-10-version/ba-p/622064 See also: How to get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903 What is new for Windows 10 May...
Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/What-s-new-for-IT-pros-in-Windows-10-version-1903/ba-p/622024 See also: How to get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903 What is new for Windows 10 May 2019 Update...
Source: Now accepting Windows 10, version 1903 submissions - Microsoft Tech Community - 473707
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:02.
Find Us