Cumulative Update KB4505057 Windows 10 v1903 build 18362.116 - May 19 Win Update

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,052
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #20

    Hi folks

    really impressed with what seems like decent improvement on this build

    85GB windows C drive with a VM on it and user standard data e.g downloads, documents etc backed up in around 10 Mins to external USB 3 passport drive -- laptop only an HP envy with an oldish Intel Core 5 processor and internal SSD (the old type not the new ones that look like memory chips).

    Cumulative Update KB4505057 Windows 10 v1903 build 18362.116 - May 19-backup.png

    Cumulative Update KB4505057 Windows 10 v1903 build 18362.116 - May 19-winver.png

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 20 May 2019 at 05:11.
      My Computer

  2. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,052
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #21

    Hi folks

    In addition to my previous post on this build the Clean up system files has been fixed -- You will see the selection Previous windows installations appear - on the previous release the item didn't exist and the downloads box was ticked automatically -- which is how I imagine some people lost files !!!!

    VMWare WKS working properly too --provided you update to 16.1.0 (same for VMplayer). Language screens etc working correctly as well.

    Looks like this build is ready to roll out to "The Great Unwashed".

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  3. techquest's Avatar
    Posts : 1,602
    W10 Enterprise
       #22

    Was hoping it might have fixed Windows Defender Offline scan not working, reported in @Brink post "Turn On or Off Tamper Protection for Windows Defender Antivirus" , but it hasn't. Reported through insider hub as maybe a bug.
      My Computer

  4. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,052
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #23

    Hi there
    I just leave WD on -- what's the point in any case of an "Offline scan" -- if WD is doing its job properly then you should be notified at any possible infection -- even if you aren't actually on the internet but try and install a "dubious program" from a connected HDD.

    There might well be a need for "Offline Scan" on a home computer (not speaking about networks with 100's of HDD's) but I can't see one -- maybe it's just me.

    otherwise Normal WD scanning from the menu seems to be working just fine for me

    Cumulative Update KB4505057 Windows 10 v1903 build 18362.116 - May 19-wd.png

    Remember also that this release isn't yet the RP but it looks very near -- maybe this or next week after another build or possibly two more quick ones.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  5. techquest's Avatar
    Posts : 1,602
    W10 Enterprise
       #24

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there
    I just leave WD on -- what's the point in any case of an "Offline scan" -- if WD is doing its job properly then you should be notified at any possible infection -- even if you aren't actually on the internet but try and install a "dubious program" from a connected HDD.

    There might well be a need for "Offline Scan" on a home computer (not speaking about networks with 100's of HDD's) but I can't see one -- maybe it's just me.

    otherwise Normal WD scanning from the menu seems to be working just fine for me



    Remember also that this release isn't yet the RP but it looks very near -- maybe this or next week after another build or possibly two more quick ones.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Hi Jimbo

    I took a look at the facility as I had encountered a trojan that downloaded when I downloaded netbeans from the apache site, wasn't something I would expect to happen, and the hash checked as good.

    WD detected the trojan and quarantined it, but you know what it's like, it makes you look at everything on the system just in case. I then discovered the Offline Scan was not working and discussed that with @Brink. It then makes you wonder if there are other issues with WD, but I'm happy to keep using it but it would be good to get something back from MS on it.
      My Computer

  6. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,052
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #25

    techquest said:
    Hi Jimbo

    I took a look at the facility as I had encountered a trojan that downloaded when I downloaded netbeans from the apache site, wasn't something I would expect to happen, and the hash checked as good.

    WD detected the trojan and quarantined it, but you know what it's like, it makes you look at everything on the system just in case. I then discovered the Offline Scan was not working and discussed that with @Brink. It then makes you wonder if there are other issues with WD, but I'm happy to keep using it but it would be good to get something back from MS on it.

    Hi there

    @techquest

    That's fine -- just that I've never used that type of thing.

    If I were to get an infected machine I'd just restore a decent backup -- 10 - 15 mins restore IMO is far better than mucking about with any sort of Virus cleaning programs or procedures which even if you could guarantee 100% effectiveness will certainly take a lot longer than a typical 10 - 15 min image restore !!!!.

    Funny you got a trojan from that site -- I've logged on to things like TPB and others and have never got Viruses -- I don't like using those sites and would pay for content but sometimes you just can't get the stuff in the first place even if you wanted to buy it -- and for some older classical music for example these sites actually keep it alive long after the original CD's have long become unobtainable anywhere.

    I do salvage my conscience a bit as I donate some money to a Musicians charity though so it's not all bad.

    Cheers

    jimbo
      My Computer

  7. techquest's Avatar
    Posts : 1,602
    W10 Enterprise
       #26

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there

    @techquest

    That's fine -- just that I've never used that type of thing.

    If I were to get an infected machine I'd just restore a decent backup -- 10 - 15 mins restore IMO is far better than mucking about with any sort of Virus cleaning programs or procedures which even if you could guarantee 100% effectiveness will certainly take a lot longer than a typical 10 - 15 min image restore !!!!.

    Funny you got a trojan from that site -- I've logged on to things like TPB and others and have never got Viruses -- I don't like using those sites and would pay for content but sometimes you just can't get the stuff in the first place even if you wanted to buy it -- and for some older classical music for example these sites actually keep it alive long after the original CD's have long become unobtainable anywhere.

    I do salvage my conscience a bit as I donate some money to a Musicians charity though so it's not all bad.

    Cheers

    jimbo
    Hi

    @jimbo45

    Yes that's exactly what I did as I felt it was safer to do a restore and make sure the machine was clean and safe, rather than mess about thinking I got rid of the trojan.

    As for the netbeans, I was downloading the IDE for some coding I was doing with javascript, html, css and the likes. You can't get it from anywhere else but the official site, though they advocate using mirrors, so that is why I was somewhat surprised at the trojan. I never download anything form iffy sites as that is an obvious way of getting a virus.

    With you 100% on the music front though, being a guitar player myself and always have been willing to support musicians.
      My Computer


  8. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 15,283
    10 Home x64 (1909) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #27

    jtjt00 said:
    Is your machine in insider preview?
    bagavan said:
    I am not an insider..
    larc919 said:
    On .113 and no longer on Slow or RP, so not getting .116. But I figure if I really need it, it will come down the pike from WU at some point.
    I'm not an Insider and I'm not getting .116 either.

    This is normal, I didn't get .113 when it was released either. It had to spend some time in RP before it was approved for general release, then I got it.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 148
       #28

    Bree said:
    I'm not an Insider and I'm not getting .116 either.

    This is normal, I didn't get .113 when it was released either. It had to spend some time in RP before it was approved for general release, then I got it.
    That's nice to hear..I don't want to install 1903 again. We will be eventually go to the fi al build through cumulative updates rite?
      My Computer

  10. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,052
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #29

    Hi folks

    maybe we're just lucky -- I got update from 86 to 113 via WU and same now to 116

    Incidently -- another test -- running a Linux VM with this build (116) as host and using latest Linux 5 kernel -- all working OK so far (including attaching external USB devices to the VM)

    Cumulative Update KB4505057 Windows 10 v1903 build 18362.116 - May 19-snapshot1.png

    IMO best update from Ms for ages -- at least for me --- maybe people have got their act together finally.

    Also presenting me with some further updates : (The icelandic here means awaiting restart which I'll do in a sec. Must be some extra piece of the KB update ??? anyway all working.


    Cumulative Update KB4505057 Windows 10 v1903 build 18362.116 - May 19-update_hist.png

    Can't wait for RP.



    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


 
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:07.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums