Minimum storage requirement increases for Windows 10 May 2019 Update

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,396
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       #10

    Brink said: View Post
    Usually it's for how much space you need to be able to install Windows 10.
    I'd like to know how many users have 32GB free disk space at their disposal in their computers.
    Condolences to most tablet users.

    I would need 32GB disk space to install 1903?
    NUTS!!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 40,706
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18932
    Thread Starter
       #11

    It really shouldn't be an issue except for maybe some older tablets with a small drive.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 2,091
    Windows 10 Home x64 and Pro x86
       #12

    davidhk said: View Post
    I'd like to know how many users have 32GB free disk space at their disposal in their computers.
    Condolences to most tablet users.
    David,

    The 32GB requirement applies to the total size of your storage drive not to the amount of free space on it. This is stated in the link Brink gave in his initial post.

    There is no explicit free space requirement. There is / was a method of coping with any shortage of free space during the installation/upgrade by connecting, if so prompted, an empty USB memory stick of at least 8GB to provide extra working room during the installation/upgrade itself. @Brink wasn't this included in a TenForumsTutorial that I cannot find? Info given in the links in my next post.

    Denis
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 40,706
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18932
    Thread Starter
       #13

    Try3 said: View Post
    David,

    The 32GB requirement applies to the total size of your storage drive not to the amount of free space on it. This is stated in the link Brink gave in his initial post.

    There is no explicit free space requirement. There is / was a method of coping with any shortage of free space during the installation/upgrade by connecting, if so prompted, an empty USB memory stick of at least 8GB to provide extra working room during the installation/upgrade itself. @Brink wasn't this included in a TenForumsTutorial that I cannot find?

    Denis

    I don't think I have a separate tutorial for that.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 42,193
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #14

    yet.......
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 2,091
    Windows 10 Home x64 and Pro x86
       #15

    I have found guidance about adding a USB stick to create extra working room during an installation/upgrade.
    Free up drive space in Windows 10 - MSSupport
    which refers you to the details in
    Free up space to install the latest Windows 10 feature update - MSSupport

    Denis
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,396
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       #16

    Try3 said: View Post
    David,

    The 32GB requirement applies to the total size of your storage drive not to the amount of free space on it. This is stated in the link Brink gave in his initial post.
    Well, that is not what Brink said.
    Quote : Brink said: Usually it's for how much space you need to be able to install Windows 10

    I have to take it as …………."I need 32GB free disk space to install 1903".

    Thank you for your response.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 2,091
    Windows 10 Home x64 and Pro x86
       #17

    What I wrote is the same as what Brink meant**. 32GB drive not free space. There is no reason for any doubt - the Minimum hardware requirements | Microsoft Docs article quite clearly refers to "Storage size requirements" in the relevant section [3.3].

    I hope you note the two MSSupport [Windows Help] links I found. If your small amount of free space does cause a problem during an installation / upgrade / update then they describe the solution you can adopt.

    [I bought a tablet as an experiment last year. I saw several posts from users such as you so I limited myself to tablets with 64GB disks.]

    Denis

    ** I never contradict Brink.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 2,091
    Windows 10 Home x64 and Pro x86
       #18

    And don't lose sight of the fact that the MSDocs article is a set of instructions to hardware makers about what they need to accept if they are to describe their computers as Windows 10 compatible.

    As far as we are concerned, the article needs to be regarded as warning of an imminent update to Windows 10 Computer Specifications & Systems Requirements [the section More information on hard drive space requirements for updates serves as a decent explanation of why there is no explicitly-stated free space requirement].

    Denis
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 23,690
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18312
       #19

    davidhk said: View Post
    I'd like to know how many users have 32GB free disk space at their disposal in their computers.
    Condolences to most tablet users.

    I would need 32GB disk space to install 1903?
    NUTS!!!
    David, I made the mistake of buying one of those "32GB" computers. When I tried to update it to the next Build of Windows 10, it told me there wasn't enough space. In fact, it couldn't handle both Windows 10 and Office 365. I thought there was something wrong with the machine, so took it back and got another one. That one did the same thing, so I took it back and got my money back.

    I no longer will buy anything with less than a 500GB drive, although I know things are just fine with a 120GB drive.

    Just my experience with those 32GB jobbies.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4472027/2019-sha-2-code-signing-support-requirement-for-windows-and-wsus
Read more: Microsoft may have price increases in store for Windows 10 Pro Workstation, Win 10 downgrade customers | ZDNet
Hi, I have a Nextpad device that comes with Windows 10 installed on it. I did not yet install any user application on it, and the File Explorer reports that it has about 16G out of a total 28G disk space available. Now Windows Update has found the...
The microphone on the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 is quite loud and sensitive, so I decrease the input volume by 30% in the recording devices menu, but regardless of disallowing access to it from other programs e.g. Skype, it always seems to change back up...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46.
Find Us