Windows 10: Rumor pegs Windows 9 release for next year, Windows 10 as a Cloud OS.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1.    18 Nov 2013 #21

    At the end of the road I see Linux Mint for the 'real' desktop user. It is a beautiful system for us traditionalists. This is my Mint desktop with the Start menu opened.

    [ATTACH=full]196[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-11-18_2212.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,356
    Win 10 Pro x64
       18 Nov 2013 #22

    whs, post: 3782, member: 58 said:
    At the end of the road I see Linux Mint for the 'real' desktop user. It is a beautiful system for us traditionalists. This is my Mint desktop with the Start menu opened.

    [ATTACH=full]196[/ATTACH]
    What version are you using? It doesn't look like Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon.

    [ATTACH=full]197[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lm16.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    18 Nov 2013 #23

    It is Mint Mate 14. I have Cinnamon too, but I prefer Mate.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 4,356
    Win 10 Pro x64
       18 Nov 2013 #24

    whs, post: 3787, member: 58 said:
    It is Mint Mate 14. I have Cinnamon too, but I prefer Mate.
    Great! I am running Linux Mint 15 KDE on a laptop. And incidentally, Linux Mint 16 «Petra» RC mate + cinnamon
    has just been released which I may try soon.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    19 Nov 2013 #25

    I am a big fan of Mint too. Just wish it ran my work software...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    19 Nov 2013 #26

    badrobot, post: 3788, member: 124 said:
    Great! I am running Linux Mint 15 KDE on a laptop. And incidentally, Linux Mint 16 «Petra» RC mate + cinnamon
    has just been released which I may try soon.
    I know there are new releases. But I am too lazy to install the new stuff all the time. The setup takes too much time. The Nadia release works well - what more can I ask for.

    I also never make the updates because that cuts off my VMware Tools which I then have to reinstall. Another pain in the neck.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    01 Dec 2013 #27

    whs, post: 3782, member: 58 said:
    At the end of the road I see Linux Mint for the 'real' desktop user. It is a beautiful system for us traditionalists. This is my Mint desktop with the Start menu opened.

    [ATTACH=full]196[/ATTACH]
    Wow! Mint is really looking nice now-a-days! -WS
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 25,710
    Dual boot: Windows 10 Home Insider Build 16179 & W8.1 Pro x64 with Media Center
       01 Dec 2013 #28

    bigseb, post: 3630, member: 98 said:
    Until the rest of the world gets decent internet support cloud is out of the question. In SA - due to the really terrible state of our internet accessibility, reliability and pricing - a cloud based OS would be an absolute disaster.
    Absolutely.

    Google trying to make headway with Chromebooks, but it will never fly. Cloud OSs are nothing new. They haven't been popular to date.

    Now that I've had this Nokia Lumia WP8 phablet for a week I can definitely see more reason why MS is heading in their direction they've taken. It has surely simplified my life. All devices synchronization. I realize one can perform this with a mix of devices and OSs, but it's a PITA. e.g. Buy a different device then spend time to get it to sync. Then I'll bet you can't get it to sync 100%.

    Bottom line is that it's about products and services today.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    02 Dec 2013 #29

    The rumors always seem to threat a cloud os, but they (and all others for that matter) must know that it would be suicide in this day and age of metering and capping ISP's. There is no way I would touch it....i'd give up completely if all I could do was have a cloud OS.
    It's worrying enough just making sure I don't get near the monthly cap, I couldn't imagine having to do the majority of everything else that way too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    03 Dec 2013 #30

    MWRed, post: 5977, member: 141 said:
    The rumors always seem to threat a cloud os, but they (and all others for that matter) must know that it would be suicide in this day and age of metering and capping ISP's. There is no way I would touch it....i'd give up completely if all I could do was have a cloud OS.
    It's worrying enough just making sure I don't get near the monthly cap, I couldn't imagine having to do the majority of everything else that way too.
    I never thought about it like that before, but yeah, with the cost of my wireless internet service a cloud based OS would cost me a fortune and I would be forced to give it up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Microsoft to Launch Windows 9 Preview in February 2015 – Rumor More: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-to-Launch-Windows-9-Preview-in-February-2015-Rumor-442433.shtml
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:51.
Find Us