Internet Explorer zero-day lets hackers steal files from Windows PCs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 396
    Windows 10 Pro
       #10

    NMI said:
    Yes: Create two text files and rename them to test.mht and test.mhtml
    I did that, created two text files named exactly as you said, placed them on the Desktop right-clicked Open With and then wanted to associate with Chrome and ALL my text files then had the Chrome icon.

    That is not what I was expecting
      My Computer

  2. NMI's Avatar
    NMI
    Posts : 465
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909
       #11

    Rubi said:
    I did that, created two text files named exactly as you said, placed them on the Desktop right-clicked Open With and then wanted to associate with Chrome and ALL my text files then had the Chrome icon.
    That is not what I was expecting
    When you save them, change the "Save as type:" from Text Documents (*.txt) to All Files (*.*); or rename them on the Desktop to eliminate the additional .txt from the end of their names.
      My Computer

  3. magilla's Avatar
    Posts : 2,828
    Windows 10 and windows insider
       #12

    JGToy said:
    @Brink

    Not a big deal but, after reading your post above I thought, "let's go and turn off IE11" and I did it, saw the warning about turn it off but I kept going...

    Later on I had to use my Quickbooks and '-bang-' there was the problem: Quickbooks won't work without IE11.

    So, I can't turn it off until Intuit find it's way out of Internet Explorer!
    I have the same issues with Quicken and IE. What is sad is that Microsoft won’t do anything about it. I don’t understand. Microsoft is responsible for this issue because of its failure to act!
      My Computer

  4. Farvatten's Avatar
    Posts : 331
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.836
       #13

    Rubi said:
    I did that, created two text files named exactly as you said, placed them on the Desktop right-clicked Open With and then wanted to associate with Chrome and ALL my text files then had the Chrome icon.
    That is not what I was expecting
    One possible way I could see that happen is if you don't have file extensions checked

    Internet Explorer zero-day lets hackers steal files from Windows PCs-filenameext.jpg
      My Computers

  5. NMI's Avatar
    NMI
    Posts : 465
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909
       #14

    magilla said:
    What is sad is that Microsoft won’t do anything about it. I don’t understand. Microsoft is responsible for this issue because of its failure to act!
    No one said that, but it's not an urgent issue because the risk is low.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 396
    Windows 10 Pro
       #15

    Farvatten said:
    One possible way I could see that happen is if you don't have file extensions checked

    Internet Explorer zero-day lets hackers steal files from Windows PCs-filenameext.jpg
    Quite possibly. I do not normally have that checked.

    Have resolved now by following post from NMI above and now all is good.

    Thanks for the input, appreciated.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 396
    Windows 10 Pro
       #16

    NMI said:
    When you save them, change the "Save as type:" from Text Documents (*.txt) to All Files (*.*); or rename them on the Desktop to eliminate the additional .txt from the end of their names.
    Got it sorted now, thanks

    Do I have to leave them on the Desktop or can I move them to another location of my choosing?
      My Computer


  8. NMI's Avatar
    NMI
    Posts : 465
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909
       #17

    Rubi said:
    Got it sorted now, thanks
    Do I have to leave them on the Desktop or can I move them to another location of my choosing?
    Delete them; they are no longer needed once the file associations have been set from them.

    (Windows 10 makes it difficult to set file associations without using "Open, Open with" route.)
      My Computer

  9. JGToy's Avatar
    Posts : 573
    Windows 10 Pro x64-bit Build Latest
       #18

    magilla said:
    I have the same issues with Quicken and IE. What is sad is that Microsoft won’t do anything about it. I don’t understand. Microsoft is responsible for this issue because of its failure to act!


    And agreed 100%!

    I have been looking around to see if there's hack for it but, I never found any.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums