Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903 rollout approach

Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
  1. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 11,639
    10 Home x64 (1903) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #400

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Did Pro users lose the ability to defer updates for 365 days.
    My panel looks like what I would have expected for Home.
    It seems to be a bug that has affected you and at least one other user. I have the full defer options after upgrading my 1809 Pro to 1903 Pro with the MCT ISO.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	234671
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    #401

    Update 1903 installs a bit "cleaner" than previous major updates. However, the following still applies to 1903 update

    1. Both system and user-specific TEMP environment variables are restored to their standard default values

    2. If you used 'Properties | Location' tab to relocate some of your standard user profile folders (Pictures, Documents, Downloads etc.), the update will create empty "doppelgangers" for the "missing" folders under %USERPROFILE%. As a result, each of these folders will appear twice in "User's Files" folder. Just delete the new empty folders and you are good (take care to delete the empty one, not your actual data).

    3. Just like before, the update disables System Protection on all drives.

    4. Some (local?) accounts lose their assigned pictures/icons.

    5. Video card drivers are reinstalled (from Windows Update probably) in their default (full) configuration.

    6. Windows purges all memorized drive letter assignments you made for removable drives. Next time you connect a drive, you'll have to reassign the drive letter back to what you want it to be.

    ---

    A new GUI glitch in the Start button/taskbar behavior in auto-hide mode. After the user clicks the Start button with the mouse, the taskbar initially begins to withdraw (as if it is no longer necessary), but then it suddenly springs back into visible state, since it is supposed to remain visible as long as Start Menu is open.
    Last edited by AndreyT; 22 May 2019 at 20:57.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    #402

    It was an 8hr experience that I figured it would be an uphill battle from the start. An Asus 2in1 with 2GB ram & 32GB eMMC storage finally installed after many errors and notifications that this pc was not capable of installing W10 1903. D/L @ 100% just hung there for over an hour and finally it said that the installation could not be completed and to try again, which I did... no luck. Since memory was lean, I installed an external memory chip and it proceeded again until I got to installing @ 40%. Got the expected message about an external memory error and told me to fix it, removed the external device. Installation started @ 20% again and hung there for another hour. It eventually crept up by 1% over another hour and then restart appeared. Finally success!. "Disk" properties shows 12G used, 18G remaining. Should be good to go until the "Fall/Autumn" update!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 8,160
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1903 189362.439
       #403

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    I used the MCT tool to create a USB Thumbdrive, confirmed version, 18362.30.

    Plugged it into a laptop and ran setup. Okayed it to get all updates.

    Update failed, Windows 10 can't be installed on a device with USB or SD installed.

    Really, even the MCT device causes fail.
    This is Microsoft's response: Windows 10, version 1903 and Windows Server, version 1903

    Error attempting to update with external USB device or memory card attached If you have an external USB device or SD memory card attached when installing Windows 10, version 1903, you may get an error message stating "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10." This is caused by inappropriate drive reassignment during installation.

    Sample scenario: An update to Windows 10, version 1903 is attempted on a computer that has a thumb drive inserted into its USB port. Before the update, the thumb drive is mounted in the system as drive G based on the existing drive configuration. After the feature update is installed; however, the device is reassigned a different drive letter (e.g., drive H).

    Note The drive reassignment is not limited to removable drives. Internal hard drives may also be affected.

    To safeguard your update experience, we have applied a hold on devices with an external USB device or SD memory card attached from being offered Windows 10, version 1903 until this issue is resolved.

    Affected platforms:

    • Client: Windows 10, version 1903

    Workaround: To work around this issue, remove all external media, such as USB devices and SD cards, from your computer and restart installation of the Windows 10, version 1903 feature update. The update should then proceed normally.
    Note If you need to keep your external device, SD memory card, or other devices attached to your computer while updating, we recommend that you do not attempt to manually update to Windows 10, version 1903 using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until this issue has been resolved.

    Next steps: Microsoft is working on a resolution and estimate a solution will be available in late May.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    #404

    AndreyT said: View Post
    Update 1903 installs a bit "cleaner" than previous major updates. However, the following still applies to 1903 update

    1. Both system and user-specific TEMP environment variables are restored to their standard default values

    2. If you used 'Properties | Location' tab to relocate some of your standard user profile folders (Pictures, Documents, Downloads etc.), the update will create empty "doppelgangers" for the "missing" folders under %USERPROFILE%. As a result, each of these folders will appear twice in "User's Files" folder. Just delete the new empty folders and you are good (take care to delete the empty one, not your actual data).

    3. Just like before, the update disables System Protection on all drives.

    4. Some (local?) accounts lose their assigned pictures/icons.

    5. Video card drivers are reinstalled (from Windows Update probably) in their default (full) configuration.

    6. Windows purges all memorized drive letter assignments you made for removable drives. Next time you connect a drive, you'll have to reassign the drive letter back to what you want it to be.

    ---

    A new GUI glitch in the Start button/taskbar behavior in auto-hide mode. After the user clicks the Start button with the mouse, the taskbar initially begins to withdraw (as if it is no longer necessary), but then it suddenly springs back into visible state, since it is supposed to remain visible as long as Start Menu is open.
    Number 3 really irritating. I use system restore and dislike that MS doesn't respect a users settings! This thing should be on by default if anything
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    #405

    Ztruker said: View Post
    Not sure they should of gone ahead and released it based on this sd card / USB thing. I have an internal sd card reader (nothing in it) but there are hidden drive letters assigned. Presume that is why WU is not offering me the update. Although no excuses for the other machine as to why that is not being offered it
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    #406

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    Number 3 really irritating. I use system restore and dislike that MS doesn't respect a users settings! This thing should be on by default if anything

    The software GoBack was more reliable in Windows 98 than System Restore is in Windows 10. I remember using GoBack all the time because I was frequently tinkering with my computer, and I don't think it ever failed. Later versions for Windows XP might have been less reliable, though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8.    #407

    Ground Sloth said: View Post
    The software GoBack was more reliable in Windows 98 than System Restore is in Windows 10. I remember using GoBack all the time because I was frequently tinkering with my computer, and I don't think it ever failed. Later versions for Windows XP might have been less reliable, though.
    There is no substitute for full system backup known to gods, men or beast.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    #408

    CountMike said: View Post
    There is no substitute for full system backup known to gods, men or beast.

    True. I stopped using System Restore several months ago because it had simply become too unreliable. It hasn't been officially deprecated, but I don't think Microsoft has worked on it for years. Timeshift for Linux, on the other hand, is fairly reliable.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 2,951
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       #409

    CountMike said: View Post
    There is no substitute for full system backup known to gods, men or beast.
    If you have an M$ account you already have an inbuilt full system backup.
    Which you can gain access to on any computer anywhere on this planet.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I wanted to get some advice on an unusual bug with the newest windows 1903 build that I haven't been able to fix given the current advice on the internet. After updating to windows 10 version 1903 build 18362.53, windows night light no longer...
Source: Now accepting Windows 10, version 1903 submissions - Microsoft Tech Community - 473707
The latest Insider Windows 10 program is Version 1903 (OS Build 18351.8) which came after 342. It installed smoothly over 342 on my Laptop and is working nicely. However on the Desktop I attempted installing it seven or eight times. It downloads and...
Source: What Windows Command Line Tools For Developers How to Enable or Disable Windows Subsystem for Linux (Bash on Ubuntu) in Windows 10 How to Export and Import Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Distro in Windows 10
Source: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update phased rollout approach - Windows Experience Blog See also: How to get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Windows 10 Forums What’s new in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Windows 10 Forums
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09.
Find Us