Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903 rollout approach

Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
  1. DooGie's Avatar
    Posts : 7,845
    Wndows 10 x64 Pro build 19631.1
       #220

    Yes and 19H1 looks even better, delivered before 30th June puts Microsoft on target
      My Computer

  2. Josey Wales's Avatar
    Posts : 22,688
    Win 10 Pro 19041.264
       #221

    IronZorg89 said:
    That's a fact, because MS is already late, very late for this FU which was supposed to be delivered since March. We are now in May. On the flip side, I understand also they are being very careful not to repeat the same mistake made for 1809. Who can blame them?.
    There is not a need to have a new build every six months or to get two insider builds per week. This does not lead to a good performing OS, it leads to mistakes like 1809 not being set to the RP but to leave a Build in the RP for two long does not accomplish anything. For some reason I installed ICUE 3.15.101 today and it knocked me out of the RP but I am still on 18362.86. The CU for this can be downloaded on MajorGeeks.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,098
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.836
       #222

    Ideally i'd like 1903 Stable, Good Peforming OS, versus 1809 that was offered immediately without RP ring, and seen what lead to, being pulled, and then re released. Probably doing clean install on Desktop whenever its released with the ISO, as over the course of last few months did the following

    Install New Storage drive--WD Black 1tb, restored Image for just the storage drive, everything works fine thankfully
    Installed Avast Free/Uninstalled Avast Free, used Defender for a while, Reinstalled Avast Free/Uninstalled Avast Free, Resumed Using Defender/Malwarebytes Free
    Removed a few games here and there
    surprisingly still runs great after all that, but probably a nice fresh install wouldn't be a bad thing
      My Computers

  4. IronZorg89's Avatar
    Posts : 1,655
    Windows 10 pro x64-bit
       #223

    Josey Wales said:
    There is not a need to have a new build every six months or to get two insider builds per week. This does not lead to a good performing OS, it leads to mistakes like 1809 not being set to the RP but to leave a Build in the RP for two long does not accomplish anything. For some reason I installed ICUE 3.15.101 today and it knocked me out of the RP but I am still on 18362.86. The CU for this can be downloaded on MajorGeeks.
    You are not the only one who favors a one-time yearly update. Almost in every other forum the percentage of users claiming that would be a better way to handle FUs, is growing high. Understand that definitely would give OEMs and Independent Software vendors a wiggle room to keep pace with MS's constant updates and changes of configuration. As an example, we can take A-V third-party apps which have to be patched after those updates, since they are not playing nice with the new configuration.

    Now with regard to ICUE 3.15.101, the only thing I know about it is that it is causing big performance issue for certain games and it seems this is not the only problem. I wouldn't dare venture in that route.
      My Computers

  5. Josey Wales's Avatar
    Posts : 22,688
    Win 10 Pro 19041.264
       #224

    IronZorg89 said:
    You are not the only one who favors a one-time yearly update. Almost in every other forum the percentage of users claiming that would be a better way to handle FUs, is growing high. Understand that definitely would give OEMs and Independent Software vendors a wiggle room to keep pace with MS's constant updates and changes of configuration. As an example, we can take A-V third-party apps which have to be patched after those updates, since they are not playing nice with the new configuration.

    Now with regard to ICUE 3.15.101, the only thing I know about it is that it is causing big performance issue for certain games and it seems this is not the only problem. I wouldn't dare venture in that route.
    I have to use it for RGB on my Keyboard and Mouse. I suppose I could use Cue but Corsair is ending support on it. My next KB will be a 12 Dollar Logitech. My M65 Pro will run without software.
      My Computer

  6. VBF's Avatar
    VBF
    Posts : 519
    Win 10 Pro
       #225

    Windows 10’s “Check for Updates” Button Just Got Safer


    I spotted this on "How-To Geek" Windows 10’s “Check for Updates” Button Just Got Safer

    From one of the links within the article, Microsoft Abandons Windows 10’s Constant Forced Updates it would seem that this will be a very useful feature of the May update - one which many of us have long wanted. Actually putting much-missed Windows 7 functionality back into W10

    Apologies if it's been posted before - I did seek but didn't find

    UPDATE - possibly @Bree or @Brink might consider this worthy of a "sticky" thread - to me it's very big news.
      My Computers

  7. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 16,551
    W10 Insider + Linux
       #226

    VBF said:
    I spotted this on "How-To Geek" Windows 10’s “Check for Updates” Button Just Got Safer

    From one of the links within the article, Microsoft Abandons Windows 10’s Constant Forced Updates it would seem that this will be a very useful feature of the May update - one which many of us have long wanted. Actually putting much-missed Windows 7 functionality back into W10

    Apologies if it's been posted before - I did seek but didn't find

    UPDATE - possibly @Bree or @Brink might consider this worthy of a "sticky" thread - to me it's very big news.
    Yeah, I've seen that too but that's mostly to benefit Home edition users as Pro already had some update control and there are 3rd party applications doing same thing.
    What I'd like to see is when I click on "Check for updates" to show available update only with option like "Not now, delay until.... " with optional date or "When I decide". Stopping an already started update would be an added bonus.
      My Computers


  8. ddelo's Avatar
    Posts : 1,814
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #227

    CountMike said:
    Yeah, I've seen that too but that's mostly to benefit Home edition users as Pro already had some update control and there are 3rd party applications doing same thing.
    What I'd like to see is when I click on "Check for updates" to show available update only with option like "Not now, delay until.... " with optional date or "When I decide". Stopping an already started update would be an added bonus.

    Windows 7 stuff.... Who knows...maybe in the distant future, but I'm afraid just wishful thinking!
      My Computer

  9. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 16,551
    W10 Insider + Linux
       #228

    ddelo said:
    Windows 7 stuff.... Who knows...maybe in the distant future, but I'm afraid just wishful thinking!
    W7 I just downloaded updates and installed manually, keeping the files because I had to reinstall at least every year or even twice a year. In it's heyday, W7 had more updates and more often than W10, some were risky and had to choose carefully. SP1 was taking very long time to install.
      My Computers

  10. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 9,032
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #229

    Hi there

    problem with 1-yearly things is that if something doesn't work (for example in this 19H1 build the well known problems with VMWare) then it could take forever and a day to fix it. Meanwhile the risks of running on an old out of date release of an OS are well known with regard to security issues and the like.

    Running legacy hardware and software on VM's is fine but one should keep the HOST as update as possible.

    Taking a leaf out of the major Linux distros Windows should perhaps think more about a type of LTS or Long term release strategy where a new release is probably only released after SEVERAL years with fairly simple minor upgrades on the way - typically with a simple command like yum update. Stability these days is usually of more importance to most users rather than absolute leading edge.

    Obviously new hardware devices etc need to be catered for but usually that doesn't require a new version of the OS.

    Personally it seems to me that ms have made a complete pigs ear out of these releases -- half the people don't get the full updates, there's too many versions being maintained currently and it's almost impossible to predict what will work and what doesn't as nearly everybody (at least in these sections of the Forum) don't seem to have the same set of updates installed on their machines -- some install updates manually often not installing all of them, some don't get the full set etc etc.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


 
Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:08.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums