Cumulative Update KB4482887 Windows 10 v1809 Build 17763.348 - March 1 Win Update

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
  1.    #180

    @Ztruker You have microcode 24 or 25 for your haswell?

    For L1DFlushSupported to be enabled (true) you need microcode 25
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 7,476
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1809 17763.348
       #181

    Sorry, I don't know what that means or how I would tell. Is there another Powershell cmdlet that will tell me?

    According to Intel, I fall here:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haswell-4770.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	226702
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    #182

    boombastik said: View Post
    @Ztruker You have microcode 24 or 25 for your haswell?

    For L1DFlushSupported to be enabled (true) you need microcode 25
    Now, I know the reason.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    #183

    Ztruker said: View Post
    Sorry, I don't know what that means or how I would tell. Is there another Powershell cmdlet that will tell me?

    According to Intel, I fall here:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haswell-4770.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	226702
    Rich,
    For starters, try this script PowerShell script for CPU information, incl. CPUID Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    It should tell you the BIOS/UEFI microcode revision you have and the one the system is currently running. If the BIOS/UEFI microcode does not match the intel proposed "New Production MCU Rev" ( last column in your image) revision, you have to visit the PC Manufacturer's support page and look for an updated BIOS.
    In any case, just post the output of the script and we'll take it from there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #184

    khanmein said: View Post
    @IronZorg89 Why your L1DFlushSupported : False?
    I supposed it has to stay as "False" and I will explain why below.
    IronZorg89 said: View Post
    I don't know why, but I followed the same procedure and "L1DFluhsSupported: False" is the same as that of @Ztruker. The goal of the procedure was to get retpoline enabled as "True", which is highlighted in pale blue color in my case and red for @Ztruker.
    boombastik said: View Post
    @Ztruker You have microcode 24 or 25 for your haswell?

    For L1DFlushSupported to be enabled (true) you need microcode 25
    I would like to know if you have some reference about this microcode 25, because I am wondering if it is a good thing to have L1D FlushSupported enabled (true)

    Now, with that said, let me start by taking the documentation From MS as a reference point:
    Understanding Get-SpeculationControlSettings PowerShell script output:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ngs-powershell

    First, it is well stipulated in this article that ["The output of this PowerShell script will resemble the following. Enabled protections appear in the output as “True.”], meaning that is what one would get after applying the PS script:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpeculationControlSettings.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	226759

    and that is exactly what @Ztruker and I got in post #152.

    Second, in the same documentation (link above), it is also stipulated;
    The final output grid maps to the output of the preceding lines. This appears because PowerShell prints the object that is returned by a function. The following table explains each line.
    except that the line regarding L1DFlushSuported is nowhere to be found with an explanation. I don't know if MS intentionally or haply didn't give any explanation for this one. I have done a little bit of research about it and it seems that L1D and L2 are part of cache-able memory regions and seem to be similar in some respect and are important for the functioning of certain applications.
    For reference, one can have a look at this link:

    http://downloads.ti.com/mctools/esd/...perations.html

    From what I can understand from this article is that If L1DFlush is enabled (true) that can reduce application performance. Maybe I am mistaken, but if anyone can give a better understanding about the function of L1D, I will be more than happy to read about it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 7,476
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1809 17763.348
       #185

    My Microcode version is 24.

    Code:
    > .\CPU-info.ps1
    CPU-Info Version 2.1  © 2019 Dimitri Delopoulos
    
    Computer Model               : 10120
    Computer Name                : DESKTOP
    Processor Type               : Central Processor
    Manufacturer                 : GenuineIntel
    CPU Family                   : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 processor
    CPU Architecture             : x64
    Name                         : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Description                  : Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Number of Cores              : 4
    Number of Logical Processors : 8
    Current Clock Speed          : 3401
    Socket Designation           : SOCKET 0
    Upgrade Method               : LGA1155
    CPUID                        : 000306C3
    Display Family               : 06H
    Display Model                : 3CH
    
    Running microcode revision   : 0x24 (loaded by Microsoft Windows 10 Pro)
    UEFI CPU microcode revision  : 0x12
    
    Boot Mode                    : UEFI
    UEFI Version                 : I1KT34AUS
    UEFI Manufacturer            : LENOVO
    UEFI Serial Number           : ES12210242
    UEFI Release Date            : 11/17/2013 (1937 days ago)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    #186

    Ztruker said: View Post
    My Microcode version is 24.

    Code:
    > .\CPU-info.ps1
    CPU-Info Version 2.1  © 2019 Dimitri Delopoulos
    
    Computer Model               : 10120
    Computer Name                : DESKTOP
    Processor Type               : Central Processor
    Manufacturer                 : GenuineIntel
    CPU Family                   : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 processor
    CPU Architecture             : x64
    Name                         : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Description                  : Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Number of Cores              : 4
    Number of Logical Processors : 8
    Current Clock Speed          : 3401
    Socket Designation           : SOCKET 0
    Upgrade Method               : LGA1155
    CPUID                        : 000306C3
    Display Family               : 06H
    Display Model                : 3CH
    
    Running microcode revision   : 0x24 (loaded by Microsoft Windows 10 Pro)
    UEFI CPU microcode revision  : 0x12
    
    Boot Mode                    : UEFI
    UEFI Version                 : I1KT34AUS
    UEFI Manufacturer            : LENOVO
    UEFI Serial Number           : ES12210242
    UEFI Release Date            : 11/17/2013 (1937 days ago)

    OK Rich...some insight on your output.
    According to intel's latest information for your CPU, you must have revision 0x25. You have 0x12, since 2013. Meaning that you have to go to the support page of Lenovo and get the latest one they have available. From a quick search I did, Lenovo does not provide any BIOS update on their site for the IdeaCentre K450 10120 Desktop. Unless I made a mistake, as I've never been a Lenovo customer and don't know my way around their Support pages, you're out of luck from the Manufacturer. But you can always search for yourself and see if there is a newer one.

    Since your UEFI is out-of-date, at a point of time Microsoft installed an update and thus, at startup, it loads a newer microcode revision 0x24.
    Since you're on v1809, you need to update your microcode to the latest 0x25, by installing KB4465065, which according to Microsoft will bring your microcode revision to 0x25 and provide the most recent mitigations to all known, until today, vulnerabilities.
    Get it from Microsoft Update Catalog and install it.
    After installing it, run the Powershell script again, to verify the results.

    If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    #187

    @ddelo,

    For the life of me, I don't seem to be able to run the PS script according to the link referenced to in post #183. I made sure to unblock your download for cpu-info.ps1

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPU-info.ps1.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	226822

    but every time that I open PS to run the script provided:
    Code:
    cd $HomePath\Desktop Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process –force .\CPU-info.ps1



    I am getting the same error that @EdTittel was having in post #5 of your tut:
    PowerShell script for CPU information, incl. CPUID
    Now, if I try to right-click the downloaded file on my desktop to open it with PS, it
    does open but stays for a split-second and disappear. What am I doing wrong?


      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    #188

    The last microcode for haswell is 25 that gives speculative store bypass protection and l1 terminal fault protection for hyper-threated cpus.
    The speculative bypass store is not used system-wide for performance reasons ,but browsers use it for protection.
    If windows have the 25 microcode the default protection that use are:
    Speculative store bypass protection non systemwide
    and l1 flush enabled.


    If now retropoline needs 25 microcode for work efficient i dont know..
    My uefi has 25 microcode and i have also enabled retropoline.

    All the users that don't have 25 microcode can install it from Microsoft update catalog.

    Hwinfo is a free program that include microcode info.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    #189

    IronZorg89 said: View Post
    @ddelo,

    For the life of me, I don't seem to be able to run the PS script according to the link referenced to in post #183. I made sure to unblock your download for cpu-info.ps1

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPU-info.ps1.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	226822

    but every time that I open PS to run the script provided:
    Code:
    cd $HomePath\Desktop Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process –force .\CPU-info.ps1



    I am getting the same error that @EdTittel was having in post #5 of your tut:
    PowerShell script for CPU information, incl. CPUID
    Now, if I try to right-click the downloaded file on my desktop to open it with PS, it
    does open but stays for a split-second and disappear. What am I doing wrong?


    To run the script as in the command above, you must save it on your Desktop. If saved let's say in your Downloads you change the first command to
    CD $env:USERPROFILE\Downloads

    In other words either within PowerShell navigate to the folder where the scripts is saved and type .\CPU-info.ps1
    or to run it from the current location in PowerShell type:
    & <Full path to the location the script resides>\CPU-info.ps1
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Related Threads
UPDATE 1/8: Cumulative Update KB4480116 Windows 10 v1809 Build 17763.253 - Jan. 8 Windows Update - Windows 10 Forums Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4483235 Direct download links for KB4483235 MSU file from Microsoft...
UPDATE 3/1: Cumulative Update KB4482887 Windows 10 v1809 Build 17763.316 - March 1 Windows Update - Windows 10 Forums Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4487044/windows-10-update-kb4487044 Direct download links for...
New Cumulative Update KB4482887 released via Windows Update to Windows 10 version 1809 build 17763.346 for Windows Insiders in the Release Preview ring. Direct download links for KB4482887 CAB file from Microsoft Update Catalog: :tip: How to...
UDPATE 1/22: Cumulative Update KB4476976 Windows 10 v1809 Build 17763.292 - Jan. 22 Windows Update - Windows 10 Forums Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4480116/windows-10-update-kb4480116 :tip: Windows 10 build 17763.253...
UPDATE 12/11: Cumulative Update KB4471332 Windows 10 v1809 Build 17763.194 - Dec. 11 Windows Update - Windows 10 Forums Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4469342 Direct download links for KB4469342 MSU file from...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15.
Find Us