New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast + Skip Build 18329 (19H1) - Feb. 1 Insider

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
  1.    1 Week Ago #160

    sgage said: View Post
    Defender doesn't like the 7 zip version, either.
    For me, worked.
    Downloaded 7 zip, tried to extract archive with WinRar but when launched, defender stops it so... extracted archive with 7z and launched with Run as administrator and it works with no problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 16,357
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       1 Week Ago #161

    sgage said: View Post
    While downloading using Chrome, Windows Defender kicked in with 'Failed - virus detected'. WD reports "Remediation Incomplete". That's a new one on me. Let's try with FF... yes, the exe trips WD, but the 7zip version gets through. What a world! Who do we trust?

    Edit: I double-clicked on the 7zip file and IE11 came up! Shortly thereafter, there was a WD warning, and the file went away - whoosh! Too much trouble.
    Downloaded from 7-zip.org with Edge and WD active... success, no problems. Scanned with WD... no problems
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	222997
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 900
    Windows 10 Home (Build 17134.320)
       1 Week Ago #162

    AndreTen said: View Post
    Downloaded from 7-zip.org with Edge and WD active... success, no problems. Scanned with WD... no problems
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	222997
    How bloody weird! My WD is highly allergic to it in any form...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. DooGie's Avatar
    Posts : 5,244
    Wndows 10 x64 Home version 1809
       1 Week Ago #163

    I uploaded the file to Virus Total and the result was 3 positive and 70 clean. VirusTotal


      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. DooGie's Avatar
    Posts : 5,244
    Wndows 10 x64 Home version 1809
       1 Week Ago #164

    Anyway I seem to have taken this thread OT for too long so I'll shut up now
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 7,228
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1809 17763.292
       1 Week Ago #165

    How do you turn off Insider Service? I know I've seen it posted several times but I can't find it now.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 39,307
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       1 Week Ago #166

    Ztruker said: View Post
    How do you turn off Insider Service? I know I've seen it posted several times but I can't find it now.
    @Ztruker
    Go to services. Right click properties. Set to Disabled.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-02-02_18h18_46.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	500.7 KB 
ID:	223000
    Last edited by f14tomcat; 1 Week Ago at 18:49.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 15,513
    Windows 10 Pro
       1 Week Ago #167

    Geeks, if you can't even clean install the latest build, there's a workaround that usually works because it completely bypasses the Windows Setup offline phase and contains all working drivers. This does of course not help those who want to upgrade, but makes life easier for those wanting clean installed latest Insider build without crashes and GSOD in Windows Setup.

    Might look complicated and time consuming, but this is in fact easy, straight forward and relatively fast.

    First, clean install a plain vanilla official release of Windows 10, at the moment version 1809. Upgrade it fully to be sure you have all drivers working. When done, export the drivers to a folder (see Part Two in this tutorial).

    Get the Insider upgrade downloaded but do not restart to offline phase, just create the ISO using UUPtoISO. Alternatively, use UUPDump to get ISO. When done, mount the ISO and inject the current, working 1809 drivers to its install.wim file (Parts Three to Five in tutorial)

    Delete the original install.wim (or install.esd) file on your USB install media you used to clean install 1809, WIM or ESD file is located in %USB%\Sources folder. Copy your custom install.wim, which now contains all required drivers, to %USB%\Sources folder.

    At this point, you have an install media with everything except install.wim being original 1809, WIM file being for latest Insider build.

    Boot from this USB. On region selection screen, press SHIFT + F10 to open Command Prompt:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	223003

    In Command Prompt, run DISKPART (#1 in next screenshot) and enter command LIST VOL (#2) to list existing volumes. Check the Volume number and letter for your Windows partition (#3), and drive letter for your install media containing custom install.wim.

    Enter command SEL VOL #, replacing # with actual volume ID for Windows partition (#4). Enter following command to format Windows partition (#5 in screenshot):

    format fs=ntfs quick label=Windows

    Enter command EXIT to quit DISKPART (#6)

    Enter following command to deploy custom Windows Insider build image containing your drivers, replacing drive letter D in ImageFile switch with actual drive letter for your install media, and C in ApplyDir with actual drive letter for Windows partition (#7):

    dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:D:\Sources\install.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	486.1 KB 
ID:	223004

    Close Command Prompt, close Windows Setup region selection. PC will reboot directly to OOBE, completely bypassing Windows Setup offline phase.

    That's it. You have now a clean installed latest Insider build.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. magilla's Avatar
    Posts : 2,151
    Windows 10 and windows insider
       1 Week Ago #168

    Wynona said: View Post
    OK, first off, I want to thank everyone who's tried to help me get this piece of s... er, umm, crap working with 18239!



    Marty must be off doing family things today. But that's OK, I've had offers of downloads and took advantage of one!



    Although this wasn't addressed to me, it applied. But Wynona don't wait if she can figure out a way to get around junk . . .



    I have some light pink in this Build, Count. It's kind of restful and I'll probably miss it when it's fixed.



    Thanks for the good thoughts, Magilla.



    I'm pretty sure they're the same, Andre. Until Fast and Skippy are forked, they'll continue to be the same. Just the delivery will be different.



    Thanks, Slice! I did install 18305 and tried to update to 18239, but it green screened on me.



    I don't do games other than solitaire, Walt. And I don't find Punkbuster anywhere on my machine. I generally uninstall those silly candy crush things but since I have plenty of hard drive space, I hadn't bothered, so that might have been an issue. Not sure.



    Thanks, Doogie. I tried going there, but without instructions, I was lost as a goose! I just had someone explain it to me a few minutes ago and I was like, is that all there is to it???



    And so we come to the end of the saga of Wynona and the GSODs . . .

    I'm one of those who doesn't ask for help until I've exhausted all avenues available; however, if I do reach out for help, I keep looking for a solution. Add that to all the helpful posts and offers of ISOs, and I know why TenForums is so popular!

    Here are my trials and errors:

    1. Windows Update: I gave up on WU after several GSODs each time I got near the end of the installation.

    2. I remembered that I can install an older version of Windows 10 and let it update to current. So, I installed 18305 and in a bit, I checked for updates and started the installation of 18329. Thought I was home free, but nope! got close to the final restart and up pops my old friend, the GSOD! OK, tried again and the same thing.

    3. So, I next try for UUPDump . . . Uhhhhhhhhhhh, what me do now, mommy? I'd never seen any instructions, and if the instructions aren't written on the proverbial bootheel . . . forget that!

    4. So, I ask Marty for an ISO, but it's the weekend and he's probably out with family . . . where I should be too, but I'm like a dog with a bone . . . can't let it go until I've chewed it down to the marrow.

    5. I'm offered ISOs, so I thank the donors and grab one of them. I create a bootable USB flash drive, try using it, but it just won't work.

    6. And finally, I mount the ISO. First time it doesn't work, so I do it again, and this time is the charm!

    I am now on Build 18329, thanks to this great group! What would we do without each other?
    Wynona, so glad you are on build 18329. Glad youre like that dog with a bone!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. johngalt's Avatar
    Posts : 1,637
    WinX Pro x64 IP current
       1 Week Ago #169

    Caveat, everyone - I just clean installed 18329 using the .ISO made from UUPDump.ml, selecting hte latest build, all editions, and downloading the AIO downlaod and crete .ISO .ZIP, extracting and running. It's pretty similar to what kari put up at Win10.guru - see How to get Windows Insider Fast Ring ISO for latest build Win10.Guru

    rseiler said: View Post
    Night Light yea or nay (despite what the release notes say)?

    Nay here.
    Yea here

    Edwin said: View Post
    Once again, everything laggy as heck!
    Soon as I turn off the Insider Service, everything is snappy, no lags, no stuttering...

    I'm sorry but, if they want me to tolerate testing this Build, they better get rid of whatever the hell algorithm they got goin there!!!
    Interesting. I clean installed after the idiocy of build 18323 and I haven't had the lag that that build was exhibiting.

    slicendice said: View Post
    IT WORKED!!!

    Tried to update using WU several times, and nothing happened during reboot phase.

    Next I tried PSWindowsUpdate and again nothing happened during reboot phase.

    Then I just went back to WU and hit reboot. Got GSOD.

    Once back on desktop, I hit reboot again and this time it started to configure the update and returned 20-30 minutes later to updated desktop.

    What a headache this one was.
    What a headache for ya! Glad it all (finally!) worked out!

    Winuser said: View Post
    I do hope they follow through with that. I wish car manufacturers would do the same instead of that very non informative Service Engine Soon (Check Engine) light.
    Of course, if they do, it will most likely be a case of "Well, it may not make much more sense to the consumer than it used to, but it makes perfect sense to us!"

    EdTittel said: View Post
    Installing on my Dell XPS 2720 right now, seems to be going well. Have had to retire the Dell Venue Pro 11 from active service in Insider Testing. Am trying the older, but still capable, Thinkpad X220 Tablet now ...
    --Ed--
    Interesting. I've dug out both of my laptops for some *nix app testing, but I have the old WinX backups for those systems as well. I'm (almost) tempted to take one / both of them for a spin with these new builds.

    Dell Inspiron 3521 and Lenovo ThinkPad E545.

    I mean, it's Superb Owl (typo intended!) weekend, and it's a madhouse up here in ATL, so.....

    rseiler said: View Post
    OK, so Night Light is clearly working for some, just as it wasn't working for some with 18323 when the problem was supposedly resolved. It's very strange how there isn't consistency with this, but I guess it's down to the vast array of video cards, drivers, and maybe monitors.

    On the upside, no more of the weird pink coloration here apparently caused by whatever fix they put into 18323 (it would happen when Night Light activated and wasn't cleared until reboot).
    When you had that build, did you perchance try to perform a clean install of your video drivers? I'm guessing not - but since it is fixed now, no harm, no foul....

    waltc said: View Post
    Yep--something in your present build (possibly a device driver--GPU driver, etc.) is throwing up a roadblock to the build install, and so the system automatically reverts you back to the previous build. I've seen it a few times myself over the years. No point in repeating the process as the outcome will not change--unless you can figure out what is obstructing the upgrade and fix it while you are running 18323. Barring that, just wait for the next build.
    Or you try to manually install it from .ISO, as a second try, before just waiting for the next build.

    I've had success with the .ISO where the WU upgrade has failed on a client's machine every single time.

    Edwin said: View Post
    Three glitches of note:
    60% of the WinX Menu is non-functional,
    can't remove Properties from items,
    many window size/position is not remembered.

    Aside from that and a couple minor things, this Build runs great.
    I'm not seeing any of those three. Again, though, clean install versus upgrade, so no doubt that is a big factor for me.

    Wynona said: View Post
    OK, first off, I want to thank everyone who's tried to help me get this piece of s... er, umm, crap working with 18239!



    Marty must be off doing family things today. But that's OK, I've had offers of downloads and took advantage of one!



    Although this wasn't addressed to me, it applied. But Wynona don't wait if she can figure out a way to get around junk . . .



    I have some light pink in this Build, Count. It's kind of restful and I'll probably miss it when it's fixed.



    Thanks for the good thoughts, Magilla.



    I'm pretty sure they're the same, Andre. Until Fast and Skippy are forked, they'll continue to be the same. Just the delivery will be different.



    Thanks, Slice! I did install 18305 and tried to update to 18239, but it green screened on me.



    I don't do games other than solitaire, Walt. And I don't find Punkbuster anywhere on my machine. I generally uninstall those silly candy crush things but since I have plenty of hard drive space, I hadn't bothered, so that might have been an issue. Not sure.



    Thanks, Doogie. I tried going there, but without instructions, I was lost as a goose! I just had someone explain it to me a few minutes ago and I was like, is that all there is to it???



    And so we come to the end of the saga of Wynona and the GSODs . . .

    I'm one of those who doesn't ask for help until I've exhausted all avenues available; however, if I do reach out for help, I keep looking for a solution. Add that to all the helpful posts and offers of ISOs, and I know why TenForums is so popular!

    Here are my trials and errors:

    1. Windows Update: I gave up on WU after several GSODs each time I got near the end of the installation.

    2. I remembered that I can install an older version of Windows 10 and let it update to current. So, I installed 18305 and in a bit, I checked for updates and started the installation of 18329. Thought I was home free, but nope! got close to the final restart and up pops my old friend, the GSOD! OK, tried again and the same thing.

    3. So, I next try for UUPDump . . . Uhhhhhhhhhhh, what me do now, mommy? I'd never seen any instructions, and if the instructions aren't written on the proverbial bootheel . . . forget that!

    4. So, I ask Marty for an ISO, but it's the weekend and he's probably out with family . . . where I should be too, but I'm like a dog with a bone . . . can't let it go until I've chewed it down to the marrow.

    5. I'm offered ISOs, so I thank the donors and grab one of them. I create a bootable USB flash drive, try using it, but it just won't work.

    6. And finally, I mount the ISO. First time it doesn't work, so I do it again, and this time is the charm!

    I am now on Build 18329, thanks to this great group! What would we do without each other?
    Attempt to slog through these (painful!) procedures on our own, with a lot of Googling here and there to figure out the problems, of course!

    DooGie said: View Post
    @Wynona. Download version 1.2.0 of UUPDump Downloader from here Tags · UUP dump / downloader · GitLab

    Create a new directory to put it in then start it up, there's a search box at the top so just type in 18239. You get a choice between 64-bit and 32-bit so just highlight the one you want and then click on choose selected build at the bottom of the window. You then get the option to choose language and either pro or Home. Also select where you want the download to be saved to then click on Start Process. All the files will be downloaded and compiled into an iso file. It takes quite a while though, usually around 20 minutes for me.
    Hope this is of some help.
    As I mentioned at the top, it's just as easy to go to the site and select the build, edition, and language, and let it generate the appropriate script the you DL and run on your machine. And no false positive interactions with either Defender or Malwarebytes, to boot.

    AndreTen said: View Post
    Here are facts:
    Make another .ISO of each and compare again - last time I did that 2 .ISOs of the exact same build generated back to back produced different hashes for me....

    Kari said: View Post
    Geeks, if you can't even clean install the latest build, there's a workaround that usually works because it completely bypasses the Windows Setup offline phase and contains all working drivers. This does of course not help those who want to upgrade, but makes life easier for those wanting clean installed latest Insider build without crashes and GSOD in Windows Setup.

    Might look complicated and time consuming, but this is in fact easy, straight forward and relatively fast.

    First, clean install a plain vanilla official release of Windows 10, at the moment version 1809. Upgrade it fully to be sure you have all drivers working. When done, export the drivers to a folder (see Part Two in this tutorial).

    Get the Insider upgrade downloaded but do not restart to offline phase, just create the ISO using UUPtoISO. Alternatively, use UUPDump to get ISO. When done, mount the ISO and inject the current, working 1809 drivers to its install.wim file (Parts Three to Five in tutorial)

    Delete the original install.wim (or install.esd) file on your USB install media you used to clean install 1809, WIM or ESD file is located in %USB%\Sources folder. Copy your custom install.wim, which now contains all required drivers, to %USB%\Sources folder.

    At this point, you have an install media with everything except install.wim being original 1809, WIM file being for latest Insider build.

    Boot from this USB. On region selection screen, press SHIFT + F10 to open Command Prompt:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	223003

    In Command Prompt, run DISKPART (#1 in next screenshot) and enter command LIST VOL (#2) to list existing volumes. Check the Volume number and letter for your Windows partition (#3), and drive letter for your install media containing custom install.wim.

    Enter command SEL VOL #, replacing # with actual volume ID for Windows partition (#4). Enter following command to format Windows partition (#5 in screenshot):

    format fs=ntfs quick label=Windows

    Enter command EXIT to quit DISKPART (#6)

    Enter following command to deploy custom Windows Insider build image containing your drivers, replacing drive letter D in ImageFile switch with actual drive letter for your install media, and C in ApplyDir with actual drive letter for Windows partition (#7):

    dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:D:\Sources\install.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	486.1 KB 
ID:	223004

    Close Command Prompt, close Windows Setup region selection. PC will reboot directly to OOBE, completely bypassing Windows Setup offline phase.

    That's it. You have now a clean installed latest Insider build.

    Kari
    That's brilliant!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Related Threads
UPDATE 2/1: New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 18329 (19H1) - Feb. 1 Insider - Windows 10 Forums Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18323 | Windows Experience Blog 1088577424055427077
Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18317 | Windows Experience Blog 1085599189562621953 1085598934439874560 Flight Hub | Microsoft Docs How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10 How to Choose Your...
UPDATE 1/15: KB4487181 Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 18312.1007 - Jan. 15 Insider - Windows 10 Forums Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18312 | Windows Experience Blog 1083061063841546240 1083060503017009152
UPDATE 1/15: KB4487181 Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 18312.1007 - Jan. 15 Insider - Windows 10 Forums Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18305 | Windows Experience Blog 1075875387610034176
UPDATE 1/9: New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 18312 (19H1) - Jan. 9 Insider - Windows 10 Forums Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18309 | Windows Experience Blog 1080956808385056768 1080955810916618240
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:25.
Find Us