Reserving disk space to keep Windows 10 up to date Insider

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1.    1 Week Ago #30

    lx07 said: View Post
    It can never happen retrospectively.

    Imagine you have just bought a 32GB tablet (pre-installed with Windows 10). It would go from annoying to update to completely unusable.

    They still have them on sale - in my part of the world anyway.

    For new devices with 64GB plus it would (possibly) make sense but not upgrades or things already in the shops.

    And then what happens when the 7GB they reserved isn't enough and they want 8GB. Or 15GB. Or 150GB.
    An article from zdnet relates perspectively to your opinion:

    Windows 10 October 2018 Update: Dump your files to avoid crashes, warns Microsoft:

    https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...rns-microsoft/
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    1 Week Ago #31

    I have 433GB spare on my C: drive. I don't need MS setting any aside for me.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3. Ztruker's Avatar
    Posts : 7,037
    Windows 10 Pro X64 1809 17763.134
       1 Week Ago #32

    For people who have a lot of free space, 7GB put aside by the OS is meaningless, why get worked up about it? I'm not talking just to you @eveready, but to everyone who is saying not me. If you have space, it doesn't matter then. If you don't normally have the space or space is tight then it does matter and this may help.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    1 Week Ago #33

    Ztruker said: View Post
    For people who have a lot of free space, 7GB put aside by the OS is meaningless, why get worked up about it? I'm not talking just to you @eveready, but to everyone who is saying not me. If you have space, it doesn't matter then. If you don't normally have the space or space is tight then it does matter and this may help.
    Yes. Exactly what I'm thinking.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    1 Week Ago #34

    Ztruker said: View Post
    For people who have a lot of free space, 7GB put aside by the OS is meaningless, why get worked up about it? I'm not talking just to you @eveready, but to everyone who is saying not me. If you have space, it doesn't matter then. If you don't normally have the space or space is tight then it does matter and this may help.
    Just because I have nothing to hide, doesn't mean I want the whole world to know what I'm doing.

    It's not just putting aside 7 GB, this can grow over time. It's not just putting aide space, it is also the cleaning of said space (all kinds of temporary files apparently) when Windows deems it necessary. And we have little or no control over it apparently.

    And why? Because in isolated cases low disk space caused issues with an update? Just let the update warn those users. No, instead set aside 7 GB for all users. Seems like a lazy approach to problem solving. A problem a lot of people did not have in the first place...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    4 Days Ago #35

    Burgurne said: View Post
    Nobody has answered my question, so I'm trying again. Can it be switched off or be moved out of C:\?? Or is this just another "dead meat" to drag in every drivebackup of C:\

    I really don't need this at all, and I really don't need 7+Gbyte extra to back up every week
    Not sure if this was already answered though I note Ztruker pointed to this key:

    Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials
    Last edited by Brink; 4 Days Ago at 10:18. Reason: updated link
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    4 Days Ago #36

    dalchina said: View Post
    Not sure if this was already answered though I note Ztruker pointed to this key:

    Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials
    Thank you! I have not seen this before, so now I'm "ready" to receive this new Windows 10 version

    Brink, if this also works when the retail Windows 10 with this "feature" is released, will this fix be a part of tenforums Tutorials?
    Last edited by Brink; 4 Days Ago at 10:18. Reason: updated link
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 35,318
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18317
    Thread Starter
       4 Days Ago #37

    Burgurne said: View Post
    Brink, if this also works when the retail Windows 10 with this "feature" is released, will this fix be a part of tenforums Tutorials?

    Already is.

    Enable or Disable Reserved Storage for Windows Update in Windows 10 | Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    4 Days Ago #38

    I am running 17763.253 on my 2in1 without issue. Updates never have given me any grief so far. Here is a pic of my computer properties. Reserving memory for me could be troublesome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2in1.JPG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Related Threads
Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates in Performance & Maintenance
I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB...
In preparation of installing an Intel Optane Memory Module one of the requirements(see attached requirements) is to have an unallocated space of at least 5MB at the end of the disk. Currently I have 550MB of unallocated space on the drive I will...
I installed Windows 10 and despite there being a 5 GB windows.old folder, the C: drive has about 10 GB free that it didn't before the installation (accounting for the installation files which otherwise would have made it 15 GB). What is Windows 10...
Hi, I get a notification every 10 minutes or so saying "Low Disk Space - You are running out of disk space on backup disk" In the backup settings, I told it to delete files whenever it needs space, yet I'm still getting this annoying message. A)...
Solved Windows taking more disk space in General Support
I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Now, my C drive is almost full with 714GB occupied by "System and reserved". I was in an assumption that, Windows 10 was suppose to take less space. Can you please help me in this.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:15.
Find Us