New Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast Build 18305.1003 (19H1) - Dec. 20 Insider

Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
  1. kado897's Avatar
    Posts : 39,354
    Windows 10 Home 64bit v20H2 and insider builds
       #390

    CountMike said:
    At that time I was blasting with Atari and it's TOS, great OS.
    Never was into gaming.
      My Computer

  2. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,341
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #391

    kado897 said:
    Never was into gaming.
    I did a lot of work on that Atari 1040ST, Desktop publishing and even CAD. Autocad at work on a PC and Drafix CAD3d on Atari that made compatible .dfx files. It was faster than any x286 PC and I was also able to run DOS as emulator and Macintosh with an adapter for CPU + Apple BIOS which was like that run as native Mac. Emulated DOS was running faster than on PCs at that time. I never had a PC at home until 386SX.
      My Computers

  3. kado897's Avatar
    Posts : 39,354
    Windows 10 Home 64bit v20H2 and insider builds
       #392

    CountMike said:
    I did a lot of work on that Atari 1040ST, Desktop publishing and even CAD. Autocad at work on a PC and Drafix CAD3d on Atari that made compatible .dfx files. It was faster than any x286 PC and I was also able to run DOS as emulator and Macintosh with an adapter for CPU + Apple BIOS which was like that run as native Mac. Emulated DOS was running faster than on PCs at that time. I never had a PC at home until 386SX.
    I never had a PC at home until I retired except for a company laptop occasionally. I worked in IT for 30 years and just wanted a break from it at home.
      My Computer

  4. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,341
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #393

    kado897 said:
    I never had a PC at home until I retired except for a company laptop occasionally. I worked in IT for 30 years and just wanted a break from it at home.
    I guess I was workaholic, often took homework but that was also practical. At work I didn't have much time for all the work, so I took some home. Get large coffee, some whisky kicked back in an comfy armchair and could really concentrate at what I was doing, unlike at work when it was always: Mike, this or that broke, Mike, when are those parts coming, Mike how soon will this part run be shipped...... Mike. Mike Mike.... I even disconnected phone at home so they wouldn't call me from second shift.
      My Computers

  5. magilla's Avatar
    Posts : 3,117
    Windows 10 and windows insider
       #394

    kado897 said:
    Yes PS2s were ridiculously expensive. OS/2 survived on servers for a while until Windows caught up technically.
    Agree that OS/2 was ahead of its time but a better operating system. I had a PS2 computer -- loved it. That was my first computer that had the 3.5 floppy drive. Of course hard drives were still in there infancy because of their "reliability" issues.
      My Computer

  6. waltc's Avatar
    Posts : 778
    Win10x64 v2004 latest build fast ring
       #395

    Only problem I have had with this build (18305.1003) thus far is that it keeps completely dropping my network printer driver installation--I believe that is covered--er--sort of--under their "known issues" description originally for the 18305.1000 build, thus I ought not be surprised, eh? In fact, I actually restored to my previous build (17763.194, never saw .195) because of the printer-driver bug!

    *USB printers may appear twice in the Devices and Printers under Control Panel. Reinstalling the printer will resolve the issue.

    Very trite *cough* description, Microsoft, and it screams for clarity and definition!.... But it's the New Year--2019--and I'm older than most of the mountains I see in the distant range I'm looking at--so I wish to elevate the mood a bit.... (Bah, humbug!)

    (I fear I shall never get used to writing and speaking in SoundBytes.)

    And then I suffered a change of heart, deleted a couple of folders from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, and reinstalled the whole 18305.1003 build again as an upgrade from 17763.194 through WU. Went flawlessly, again, and the offline install portion took ~20 minutes for the upgrade. I noticed, however, that I got the 1003 build initially, this time (instead of the 1000 build, which then later updated to 1003 through a CU, as happened after my first 18305.1000 upgrade install via WU. )

    Thought that was interesting, as usually I've noticed that the CU's tend to repeat their installations after I reinstall the base build through WU--but not this time! Went straight to 1003, sans the CU. Still have the same problem with the printer installation, btw--which I've fixed again--so hopefully that will get fixed in the next build since they say they are aware of it!

    On the whole, 18305 is not as bad as I thought it might be!--at least from my end, as I have no applications or games that don't run properly under this build-- and no problems with my hardware, save for the known printer bug specific to 18305--although Kari reported something much different from his end early on (I think his networking problems may be closely related to my problematic network printer installations!) Sandbox is sort of interesting, sort of. It might behoove someone who is into "pRon" sites and their associated "chatrooms" and message boards *cough*--as well as downloading some of their "imagery" files which are often, unsurprisingly, festooned with virii and malware and what have you. (Not my cup of tea, pRon, though some of it, I admit, is not altogether unpleasant to view... *cough*)

    --"Sandbox" was a truly dynamic philosophy ~20-30 years ago...! Most pro-level developer applications sandbox themselves, more or less, usually more, these days, etc. Is Microsoft beginning to run out of gimmicks to reinvent the wheel every six months? "Sandbox" certainly seems like an idea fetched soggy from the bottom of a long-neglected fishbowl.

    I really do like the Insider's program, myself, even when I take longer and longer breaks away from it after each successive commercial build is officially released to the public--but at some point Microsoft is going to have to take stock and do something rational, like--maybe--a new build for official release every two years instead of every six months!

    I must be hooked on it, though, as I'm still an Insider after four years of being on the Insider's gravy train--90% Fast ring, 10% slow ring.. Yeppers, I am an addict, and I wish to share the joy and spread a bit of New Year's cheer...! So, my fellow elves and other assorted munchkins, pull out your drinking glasses, clean them until they sparkle, and introduce them to some of that fine Chivas Regal good cheer for the New year!

    So put on your name tag, stand boldly in front of the group, and confess...!

    "Hello, my name is WaltC, and I'm an Insider! I've yet to lose my home, my cars, my wives, my children and all of my money, and still somehow as well I have retained my original internal organs (no one wanted anything to do with my liver)--haven't had to hock those yet. But I really do have a story to tell--it's My Story, It's a Story of My Struggles, my very own Mein Kampf--my...er..." Er, Hello? Er, anyone still in the room? Where did everybody g---
    (From the back of the darkened hall:)
    ZZZZZzz----zz-z-z-z-z-z--z....Throw the bum out! Nexxxxxttttt....ZZZz-z-z-z-zzzzzz....zzz-z-z-z-z-z-zzzz....
      My Computer

  7. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,341
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #396

    waltc said:
    Only problem I have had with this build (18305.1003) thus far is that it keeps completely dropping my network printer driver installation--I believe that is covered--er--sort of--under their "known issues" description originally for the 18305.1000 build, thus I ought not be surprised, eh? In fact, I actually restored to my previous build (17763.194, never saw .195) because of the printer-driver bug!

    *USB printers may appear twice in the Devices and Printers under Control Panel. Reinstalling the printer will resolve the issue.

    Very trite *cough* description, Microsoft, and it screams for clarity and definition!.... But it's the New Year--2019--and I'm older than most of the mountains I see in the distant range I'm looking at--so I wish to elevate the mood a bit.... (Bah, humbug!)

    (I fear I shall never get used to writing and speaking in SoundBytes.)

    And then I suffered a change of heart, deleted a couple of folders from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, and reinstalled the whole 18305.1003 build again as an upgrade from 17763.194 through WU. Went flawlessly, again, and the offline install portion took ~20 minutes for the upgrade. I noticed, however, that I got the 1003 build initially, this time (instead of the 1000 build, which then later updated to 1003 through a CU, as happened after my first 18305.1000 upgrade install via WU. )

    Thought that was interesting, as usually I've noticed that the CU's tend to repeat their installations after I reinstall the base build through WU--but not this time! Went straight to 1003, sans the CU. Still have the same problem with the printer installation, btw--which I've fixed again--so hopefully that will get fixed in the next build since they say they are aware of it!

    On the whole, 18305 is not as bad as I thought it might be!--at least from my end, as I have no applications or games that don't run properly under this build-- and no problems with my hardware, save for the known printer bug specific to 18305--although Kari reported something much different from his end early on (I think his networking problems may be closely related to my problematic network printer installations!) Sandbox is sort of interesting, sort of. It might behoove someone who is into "pRon" sites and their associated "chatrooms" and message boards *cough*--as well as downloading some of their "imagery" files which are often, unsurprisingly, festooned with virii and malware and what have you. (Not my cup of tea, pRon, though some of it, I admit, is not altogether unpleasant to view... *cough*)

    --"Sandbox" was a truly dynamic philosophy ~20-30 years ago...! Most pro-level developer applications sandbox themselves, more or less, usually more, these days, etc. Is Microsoft beginning to run out of gimmicks to reinvent the wheel every six months? "Sandbox" certainly seems like an idea fetched soggy from the bottom of a long-neglected fishbowl.

    I really do like the Insider's program, myself, even when I take longer and longer breaks away from it after each successive commercial build is officially released to the public--but at some point Microsoft is going to have to take stock and do something rational, like--maybe--a new build for official release every two years instead of every six months!

    I must be hooked on it, though, as I'm still an Insider after four years of being on the Insider's gravy train--90% Fast ring, 10% slow ring.. Yeppers, I am an addict, and I wish to share the joy and spread a bit of New Year's cheer...! So, my fellow elves and other assorted munchkins, pull out your drinking glasses, clean them until they sparkle, and introduce them to some of that fine Chivas Regal good cheer for the New year!

    So put on your name tag, stand boldly in front of the group, and confess...!

    "Hello, my name is WaltC, and I'm an Insider! I've yet to lose my home, my cars, my wives, my children and all of my money, and still somehow as well I have retained my original internal organs (no one wanted anything to do with my liver)--haven't had to hock those yet. But I really do have a story to tell--it's My Story, It's a Story of My Struggles, my very own Mein Kampf--my...er..." Er, Hello? Er, anyone still in the room? Where did everybody g---
    (From the back of the darkened hall:)
    ZZZZZzz----zz-z-z-z-z-z--z....Throw the bum out! Nexxxxxttttt....ZZZz-z-z-z-zzzzzz....zzz-z-z-z-z-z-zzzz....
    Lol Walt, when you put it that way we can all find ourselves in that description.
      My Computers

  8. hawkman's Avatar
    Posts : 650
    10 preview 64bit
       #397

    Reset my install, went straight to 1003 as well.

    Had a problem with my User Profile, oddly enough it didnt manifest in Event Viewer or Use - You have been loggged in with a Temp Profile
    Started as slowing down the loading of the task bar icons - then unable to find path(snipping tool capture) and finally nothing from User tile.


    Roy
      My Computer

  9. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,957
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
       #398

    kado897 said:
    I wonder what would have happened if IBM's OS/2 had come out on top. It was technically streets ahead of Windows at the time.
    And then there was Xerox.

    I had a Tandy Color Computer back then, and was using OS/9. When I got a PC, $1500 for the cheapest model, and started to dabble with OS/2 it was a piece of cake after my OS/9 experience. Then Windows happened. I was given a copy to review and I kinda liked it.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 5
    Windows 10
       #399

    Stuck with old Preview :(


    Hi experts. I need your help!

    I'm stuck with Insider Preview 10.0.18282.100 since Nov 22nd, and keep getting the notice that it expired on Dec 14th and must upgrade, but no upgrades are found when running Windows update.

    When I set to "Fast", it tries to update to 10.0.18305.1003, but fails every time with error 0x80070003.

    What should I do? Keep trying with "Fast" or revert to "Slow" and wait for a future release?

    Thanks!
      My Computer


 
Page 40 of 43 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums