Cumulative Update KB4471332 Windows 10 v1809 Build 17763.194 - Dec. 11 Win Update

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 637
    Windows 10 20H2
       #80

    DooGie said:
    As Brink said in the previous post. Macrium Reflect is the thing to use, it's far superior to Windows Backup.
    Is Macrium Reflect going to create a different image then Windows did?
      My Computer

  2. Wiley Coyote's Avatar
    Posts : 1,097
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.437)
       #81

    Simple answer is YES. How different depends. MR (Free) Image is a complete Image of the entire system, unless you change something when you create the definition file and Image. It's fairly easy to use (I can, anyone can) and by reputation a lot more reliable than the Windows routine.

    I've only had two occasions to do a restore and it worked flawlessly. I'm a believer.
      My Computer

  3. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 56,311
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21359
    Thread Starter
       #82

    rdwray said:
    Is Macrium Reflect going to create a different image then Windows did?
    Correct. It will only restore the images it creates instead. It is much more reliable.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 637
    Windows 10 20H2
       #83

    Wiley Coyote said:
    Simple answer is YES. How different depends. MR (Free) Image is a complete Image of the entire system, unless you change something when you create the definition file and Image. It's fairly easy to use (I can, anyone can) and by reputation a lot more reliable than the Windows routine.

    I've only had two occasions to do a restore and it worked flawlessly. I'm a believer.
    Seems like you are saying that Windows does not create a complete image.
      My Computer

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,676
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #84

    rdwray said:
    I have a system image created with Windows "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" and a bootable "Media Creation Tool". And that brings up another question; I tried cloning a SSD to USB and had a problem because it would only boot the first time and would never boot after that - really strange, that is why I went to the image.
    I am perhaps one of the few on this forum that has used both extensively. Having tried Macrium I wouldn't want to go back.

    DooGie said:
    As Brink said in the previous post. Macrium Reflect is the thing to use, it's far superior to Windows Backup.

    One tool in the Macrium rescue media that would have helped with you clone is the ability to fix Windows boot problems.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 637
    Windows 10 20H2
       #85

    Bree said:
    I am perhaps one of the few on this forum that has used both extensively. Having tried Macrium I wouldn't want to go back.
    I had it installed and removed it because there were things that had to be done like a definition file that I don't need in Windows.

    One tool in the Macrium rescue media that would have helped with you clone is the ability to fix Windows boot problems.[/QUOTE]
    I have found that a rescue disk works well for the boot issue and Easy BCD is great for taking care of drive issues.
      My Computer

  7. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,676
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #86

    rdwray said:
    I had it installed and removed it because there were things that had to be done like a definition file that I don't need in Windows.
    The definition file is optional, there's a box to untick if you don't want to save one.

    The purpose of the definition file is that you can repeat making an image with all the same settings you used before just by clicking on it. I make two when I first install Macrium, one to back up to a local partition on the PC, another to back up the whole PC (including the partition with the images) to an external HDD. I have made countless images since then, but never made any more definition files.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 637
    Windows 10 20H2
       #87

    Bree said:
    The definition file is optional, there's a box to untick if you don't want to save one.

    The purpose of the definition file is that you can repeat making an image with all the same settings you used before just by clicking on it. I make two when I first install Macrium, one to back up to a local partition on the PC, another to back up the whole PC (including the partition with the images) to an external HDD. I have made countless images since then, but never made any more definition files.
    My normal method is cloning so all I have to do is swap HDD until I ran into the issue with this SSD which I have yet to research, I don't like images, takes too long to restore and ties up the PC.
      My Computer

  9. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,519
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #88

    rdwray said:
    I don't like images, takes too long to restore and ties up the PC.
    But then is the computer otherwise usable in a normal condition while the restore is running? Seems to me the restore time is immaterial if the computer cannot be productive due to problems prompting the restore. I use an Eaxer dual-drive SATA dock that is actually disconnected from the USB port for doing cloning, otherwise it's a normal USB 3 dock and 3-port Hub, about a 4"-5" square footprint on the desk.
      My Computers

  10. rezpower's Avatar
    Posts : 324
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       #89

    After trying many different software this is the software I have been using for more then 3 years now:
    AOMEI Backupper
    Its free! so you can give it a try and I have never had any problem with any full system backups (normal
    or UEFI mode). The rescue usb image is also great as you are in windows environment with tools and you
    can add whatever you need to it.
      My Computer


 
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums