Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809 Now Re-Released

  1.    2 Weeks Ago #1200

    slicendice said: View Post
    1809 will probably not improve performance for you, unless your system is a bit bloated and the upgrade gets rid of most of that bloat.

    If your computer is running on a slow Hard Disk Drive rather than a Solid State Drive, then Windows won't be that snappy, no matter which version you have. The difference between HDD and SSD is like night and day.

    Your 6GB of RAM should not be a problem, but more RAM would not hurt. Personally I have 8GB, with no issues. Chrome browser is a huge memory hog so closing some old tabs helps a lot.
    Thanks!

    I just hope this update won't take too long to install as these big updates have taken my PC 30+ minutes to install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    2 Weeks Ago #1201

    "You know what?, let's get rid of these stupid apps and bells and focus on computery stuff instead"................agree!
    Still we all keep hoping on improvements , so we just keep on upgrading/updating............
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    2 Weeks Ago #1202

    Could you guys please look at this thread over here? It's VERY relevant to this thread if I should update now or not.

    SERIOUS PROBLEM: HDD Making Noise? - Windows 10 Forums

    Thank you!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 3,930
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v1809 Build 17763.316 (Branch: RS5 Release Preview)
       2 Weeks Ago #1203

    NiceAndShy said: View Post
    Thanks!

    I just hope this update won't take too long to install as these big updates have taken my PC 30+ minutes to install.
    The offline (reboot) phase takes about the same amount of time. For some it's 10minutes while for others it's 45minutes and beyond. It all depends on your hardware and software configurations. A HDD certainly slows things down a lot.

    Since your HDD was behaving oddly for you, now would be a good time to clone that drive to a new one, just in case it breaks. Once the damage is done, there's no going back. Hopefully it was just a temporary glitch.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 22,629
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18312
       2 Weeks Ago #1204

    slicendice said: View Post
    1809 will probably not improve performance for you, unless your system is a bit bloated and the upgrade gets rid of most of that bloat.

    If your computer is running on a slow Hard Disk Drive rather than a Solid State Drive, then Windows won't be that snappy, no matter which version you have. The difference between HDD and SSD is like night and day.

    Your 6GB of RAM should not be a problem, but more RAM would not hurt. Personally I have 8GB, with no issues. Chrome browser is a huge memory hog so closing some old tabs helps a lot.
    I didn't know that about Chrome. I've been trying it out the last few days only because FF and 1809 don't get along very well for me. Maybe I'll try something else, then.

    Not that I'll have to worry, since I have 24 GB RAM in this desktop. I upgraded from 8 GB to 16, then found I could still use the original 8 GB, so I went for it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    2 Weeks Ago #1205

    From my work laptop as we speak:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	222736
    I see the same at home.

    So 16GB is minimum these days IMHO.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 22,629
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18312
       2 Weeks Ago #1206

    krzemien said: View Post
    From my work laptop as we speak:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	222736
    I see the same at home.

    So 16GB is minimum these days IMHO.
    Agreed, Krzemien; that's why I upgraded from 8 GB. I had a spinner in there, but later waved my magic wand and it turned into an SSD! My system isn't blazingly fast, but it'll do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 36,103
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 18836
    Thread Starter
       2 Weeks Ago #1207

    UPDATE:

    "Current Status" table updated for Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809. See first post for more details.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    2 Weeks Ago #1208

    krzemien said: View Post
    From my work laptop as we speak:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	191 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	222736
    I see the same at home.

    So 16GB is minimum these days IMHO.
    My new desktop only has 4GBs and it runs fine.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    2 Weeks Ago #1209

    Winuser said: View Post
    My new desktop only has 4GBs and it runs fine.
    That's great!

    I've always been more impressed with the ability to do a lot even when your hardware is limited.

    I'm on 6GB as I said and it seems like 16GB is becoming the norm now...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Is this seriously still not fixed and made it to the final release yesterday? I still see completely inaccurate CPU load figures in task manager...
Bluescreen After 1809 October Update in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
I updated my computer to the new October 1809 update and everything went fine. Everything seemed to work just fine, but after I turned off the computer and started it up today I got this bluescreen. Windows 10 would not boot the first time, I shut...
Source: What's new in printing in Windows 10, version 1809 - Microsoft Tech Community - 267182 See also: Windows 10 October 2018 Update now available - Windows 10 Forums Windows 10 version 1809 update history - Known incompatibilities...
Source: What's new for IT pros in Windows 10, version 1809 - Microsoft Tech Community - 263909 See also: Windows 10 October 2018 Update now available - Windows 10 Forums Find out what is new in Windows 10 October 2018 Update and Office -...
Source: .NET Core October 2018 Update | .NET Blog
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17.
Find Us