Current Status of Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809

  1. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,489
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #860

    Wynona said:
    I'm one of those who cannot leave it alone until I have a definitive answer, which doesn't seem possible with Microsoft.

    With regard to Pause Updates, the only conclusion I can come to is that there is no definitive answer.

    The following is from my Windows 10 Production System.

    Attachment 217444

    Note the statement under Pause Updates: Temporarily pause updates from being installed on this device for up to 35 days. When updates resume, the device will need to get the latest updates before it can be paused again.

    I would think 35 days is a far cry from "several months" I've seen in multiple statements.

    Secondly, I'm told I can only pause feature updates for 23 days and quality updates for 16 days.

    I will edit this when I get over to my Windows Insider System . . . And now we continue . . .

    Attachment 217450

    Note the statement under Pause Updates: Temporarily pause updates from being installed on this device for up to 7 days. When updates resume, the device will need to get the latest updates before it can be paused again.

    So, in the end there seems to be less wiggle room with the Insider Builds than with the Production Build(s) as far as pausing updates.

    Yep, I said, "seems to be", but maybe not . . . Note the statement under Update Options: Keep this off to help prevent extra charges so updates won't download while you're on a metered Internet connection.

    Hmmmmmmm, does this say what I think it says? Tell Microsoft your Internet Connection is metered and you can pause updates without pausing updates?

    Attachment 217452

    And now, here it is from my Production System:

    Attachment 217453

    So, now that I've spent all this time trying to make sense of Microsoft's "Deferral" system, I find that a simple change to my Internet connection from wide open to metered should allow me to choose when I update.

    OK, I have some partial answers, and maybe a little help to those wanting to be able to stop updates for awhile.
    That change to Internet connection from wide open to metered only applies to option to press "Check for updates" button, If you press it you can't stop all due and available updates to start. That's how I've been controlling them all along. If I want to check for updates for WD or Store, I check for them directly. I also stopped automatic updates for "Other MS products" namely MS Office 2013 because nothing there for me, just using valuable bits from metered internet service.
      My Computers

  2. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 19,221
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #861

    ddelo said:
    Upon completion I deferred the Feature updates for 30 days from the Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) branch readiness level that I have chosen to be.
    Yes, it's deferred your number of days from the date of release. Personally I would have chosen the 'Semi -Annual Channel', that would have deferred it until MS declared it as ready for business use.
      My Computers

  3. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 28,166
    Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.928
       #862

    CountMike said:
    That change to Internet connection from wide open to metered only applies to option to press "Check for updates" button, If you press it you can't stop all due and available updates to start. That's how I've been controlling them all along. If I want to check for updates for WD or Store, I check for them directly. I also stopped automatic updates for "Other MS products" namely MS Office 2013 because nothing there for me, just using valuable bits from metered internet service.
    Agree, Count. If I say I have a metered connection and don't want updates to download and install until I decide, then I just leave the "check for updates" button alone. Microsoft can nudge me all it wants, but I can decide in my own time.

    That said, I generally want to be on the bleeding edge anyway . . . what else can I say?
      My Computer

  4. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 1,161
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 18362.418)
       #863

    Wynona said:
    I'm one of those who cannot leave it alone until I have a definitive answer, which doesn't seem possible with Microsoft.

    With regard to Pause Updates, the only conclusion I can come to is that there is no definitive answer. .
    Wynona, I am utterly convinced that the reason we can't get a definitive answer from MS on so many issues is that THEY DON'T KNOW. Windows is so big, so complex, with so many groups adding features/patches/committing code, etc., that it's just gotten away from them. Too much complexity. MS just isn't up to the job of managing this beast, and we get to pay for this (esp. Home users).

    Yes, I honestly think it's gotten this bad, and yes, I honestly think MS needs to take a year off from 'Feature Updates'. They need to stop doubling down, and rethink this insanity, because that's what it is. I'm nobody, but they're losing me as a customer. After 40 years.
      My Computer

  5. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 1,161
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 18362.418)
       #864

    Wynona said:
    Agree, Count. If I say I have a metered connection and don't want updates to download and install until I decide, then I just leave the "check for updates" button alone. Microsoft can nudge me all it wants, but I can decide in my own time.

    That said, I generally want to be on the bleeding edge anyway . . . what else can I say?
    You can say "hello, I'm Wynona, and I'm a masochist'. :)
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 479
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1803
       #865

    Sorry for interrupting guys, but does anyone experience a problem with the MS account profile picture not syncing to Windows (in the login screen & start menu) when linking a local account to your MS account?

    I have experienced it with a clean install of both 1809 and 1803 now, while it didn't happen before on 1803.
      My Computer

  7. emilcioran99's Avatar
    Posts : 193
    3 x Win10 Pro x 64
       #866

    sgage said:
    Wynona, I am utterly convinced that the reason we can't get a definitive answer from MS on so many issues is that THEY DON'T KNOW. Windows is so big, so complex, with so many groups adding features/patches/committing code, etc., that it's just gotten away from them. Too much complexity. MS just isn't up to the job of managing this beast, and we get to pay for this (esp. Home users).

    Yes, I honestly think it's gotten this bad, and yes, I honestly think MS needs to take a year off from 'Feature Updates'. They need to stop doubling down, and rethink this insanity, because that's what it is. I'm nobody, but they're losing me as a customer. After 40 years.
    You're so right, but I don't think that M$ it's going to change something to get out of this state.
    In this race "run for more money" they are not alone. Everyone is in the same boat and I think that no one really cares about the final customer. Same sh.t happens with cars manufacturers, appliances, phones and all the rest.
    Like Windows, all are becoming "smarter", more beautiful, more full of gadgets (which, in fact, the vast majority doesn't need), but more and more bad in terms of reliability.
    At the end. they tells us that this is the progress and this is the future....
    Last edited by emilcioran99; 16 Dec 2018 at 02:57.
      My Computer

  8. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,645
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.906 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #867

    @Wynona

    My main IP machine never checks for updates nor auto reboot. I have to do it all manually.

    I don't remember what I did, but I think I tweaked some values in Group Policy Editor and Registry. My other machine uses default settings, updates every day on a consistent schedule.
      My Computers

  9. ddelo's Avatar
    Posts : 2,257
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #868

    @Wynona

    One solution instead of Pausing updates or using a Metered connection, is to disable Windows Updates completely via a Group Policy, if you're on Pro version, or via a .reg file if you're on Home version and enable them when you want.
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 | Tutorials

    If Updates are completely disabled, the only thing that needs to changed is the way Windows Defender updates its definitions, if Defender is your AV.
    That can also be done, natively in Windows Defender.
    Windows Defender definitions update frequency Solved - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computer

  10. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 28,166
    Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.928
       #869

    ddelo said:
    @Wynona

    One solution instead of Pausing updates or using a Metered connection, is to disable Windows Updates completely via a Group Policy, if you're on Pro version, or via a .reg file if you're on Home version and enable them when you want.
    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 | Tutorials

    If Updates are completely disabled, the only thing that needs to changed is the way Windows Defender updates its definitions, if Defender is your AV.
    That can also be done, natively in Windows Defender.
    Windows Defender definitions update frequency Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    Thanks, Ddelo. I'll have to put these in my list of tutorials.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:38.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums