Current Status of Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809

  1. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,622
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #540

    f14tomcat said:
    The Recovery Partition associated with the OS (not OEM anything) does not contain any data that can be used to roll back to anywhere. It is simply a set of tools in the WinRE. It is also, to my understanding, where Macrium gets the data for the newly supported RE Rescue Environment. If it is deleted, that option is no longer available, and Macrium will tell you it must use the PE Environment from WADK. And the options in Settings>Recovery will not function correctly. This is all just my understanding. May be all wrong....
    No, you are not wrong. That is exactly my understanding too. And the point about Macrium needing the recovery partition to build the new WinRE rescue media is a very good one. If the Windows install created a recovery partition, that is the only place it would have put WinRE.wim.

    The following folders, and sub-folders are searched for file WinRE.wim

    C:\Windows\System32\Recovery
    <ALL VOLUMES>\Recovery

    If multiple copies of WinRE.wim are found then each WIM is examined and the WIM that contains the most recent Windows OS is copied to the Staging Area.
    Rescue Media Builder - How It Works - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
      My Computers

  2. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 1,155
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 18362.418)
       #541

    Bree said:
    No, you are not wrong. That is exactly my understanding too. And the point about Macrium needing the recovery partition to build the new WinRE rescue media is a very good one. If the Windows install created a recovery partition, that is the only place it would have put WinRE.wim.

    Rescue Media Builder - How It Works - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    I made Macrium rescue media after deleting the Windows Recovery Partition, and after notifying me, it went and downloaded it.
      My Computer

  3. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,622
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #542

    sgage said:
    I made Macrium rescue media after deleting the Windows Recovery Partition, and after notifying me, it went and downloaded it.
    Precisely the point. You had to make the old style PE environment media with the large Microsoft download required. You cannot make the new RE rescue media that requires no download, or use any new RE new features.

    WinRE supports WiFi and is available on most |Windows installs without any further downloads.
    Macrium Reflect KnowledgeBase - New in Macrium Reflect 7.2
      My Computers

  4. Stitch194's Avatar
    Posts : 430
    Windows 10 Pro
       #543

    There is some very good information (Recovery OEM partitiions and Macrium PE environment) in this Forum "Windows 10 News. Would it not be more beneficial for users to move the current topic (Recovery OEM partitiions and Macrium PE environment) to the "Backup and Recovery Forum" Just my opinion!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       #544

    Hey Got A Question, Has anyone been able to disable Notification for windows defender, Firewall and spyware and because once they are disabled the notifications keep popping up and this is becoming a nuisance. My friend and I Have disabled the afore mentioned software and still have to deal with the notifications, can or has anyone been able to remove the notifications and could they tell us how to do it.we want it Permanently disabled never to see the notification again. Thanks
      My Computer

  6. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 1,155
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 18362.418)
       #545

    Bree said:
    Precisely the point. You had to make the old style PE environment media with the large Microsoft download required. You cannot make the new RE rescue media that requires no download, or use any new RE new features.

    Macrium Reflect KnowledgeBase - New in Macrium Reflect 7.2
    Well, I haven't had any problems with my rescue media. In building my rescue media, Macrium downloaded the PE once, not such a big download, andI made a USB, it works. I haven't missed any features.I guess I'm missing something here, but everything seems just fine to me.
      My Computer

  7. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 27,955
    Windows 10 2404 Build 19042.867
       #546

    Stitch194 said:
    There is some very good information (Recovery OEM partitiions and Macrium PE environment) in this Forum "Windows 10 News. Would it not be more beneficial for users to move the current topic (Recovery OEM partitiions and Macrium PE environment) to the "Backup and Recovery Forum" Just my opinion!
    Stitch, there's nothing stopping you from starting a thread in the Backup and Recovery Forum. Go for it and post a link here.
      My Computer

  8. reddice's Avatar
    Posts : 615
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #547

    I did a in-place upgrade of 17134 a week before I installed the October update and it created a recovery partition. All I noticed was less disk space. Too make matters worse installing the October update created another stupid recovery partition. So after I updated it I restored my newly created Macrium backup and only restored Fat32 Primary, 16MB and the Primary OS after which I was able to extend the unallocated space.
      My Computer

  9. Stitch194's Avatar
    Posts : 430
    Windows 10 Pro
       #548

    Wynona It's really no big deal. I think of help forums as the modern day libraries, a knowledge base, as such, I would never think of searching in a library for the Electrical Safety Code in the Fiction section. Thanks for your valued input.
      My Computer

  10. flhthemi's Avatar
    Posts : 235
    Windows 10 Pro
       #549

    Scotallan said:
    Hey Got A Question, Has anyone been able to disable Notification for windows defender, Firewall and spyware and because once they are disabled the notifications keep popping up and this is becoming a nuisance. My friend and I Have disabled the afore mentioned software and still have to deal with the notifications, can or has anyone been able to remove the notifications and could they tell us how to do it.we want it Permanently disabled never to see the notification again. Thanks
    I have this issue. I have found no work around for it. I also mentioned it earlier in this thread or another one...I don't know if M$ has it as a bug to be fixed.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums