Current Status of Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809

  1. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,692
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #170

    Wynona said:
    Looks like the black one is the Start Menu right clicked and the other is from right clicking on the Desktop.
    black one looks like Taskbar click
      My Computers

  2. Win7ine's Avatar
    Posts : 196
    Win10 Pro x64 / WinServer 2016 Essentials
       #171

    SO what is the base build # of the re-release 17763.X ?
    Is X=134 ???
      My Computer

  3. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,692
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #172

    Win7ine said:
    SO what is the base build # of the re-release 17763.X ?
    Is X=134 ???
    base is 17763.107
      My Computers

  4. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 28,166
    Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.928
       #173

    CountMike said:
    Yes that was my first plan, I have a spare 120GB SSD and may install it on it. I also have recent (this morning) MR backup s I may install on main M.2 SSD and than make MR backup of it and see where to put it after. Last install attempt didn't go too good and my main disk now has 4 -5 extra partitions. I will have to restore it again. I don't have an extra license so this one will have to stay unactivated and with local account.
    Why not clean install to the 120 GB SSD as originally planned, then when you have it exactly like you want it, back 'er up. At that point, completely wipe the current disk, then use the backup of the 120 GB SSD to restore your current SSD.

    Also, If Windows has once been on a machine, it's perfectly legal to install it again. Changing the hard drive doesn't negate your license. Before you wipe the original drive, try dual booting and activating both to see what happens. I'm thinking both should activate. If it doesn't work, you're no worse off . . .
      My Computer

  5. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 28,166
    Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.928
       #174

    f14tomcat said:
    black one looks like Taskbar click
    Oh! You may be right (probably are) . . . I hardly ever right click the taskbar unless I want to go to Task Manager, so wasn't thinking about that one.

    Bottom line . . . it looks like we have three context menus: Right click Start, right click Taskbar, right click Desktop. And there's no telling how many more we have with each individual app/program we're using.
      My Computer

  6. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,489
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #175

    Wynona said:
    Why not clean install to the 120 GB SSD as originally planned, then when you have it exactly like you want it, back 'er up. At that point, completely wipe the current disk, then use the backup of the 120 GB SSD to restore your current SSD.

    Also, If Windows has once been on a machine, it's perfectly legal to install it again. Changing the hard drive doesn't negate your license. Before you wipe the original drive, try dual booting and activating both to see what happens. I'm thinking both should activate. If it doesn't work, you're no worse off . . .
    I was just watching tennis, will get on it right now, first on 120GB SSD if it works this time. I'm not planning to keep both versions anyway, just until I install bulk of SW and drivers.
    Look what last attempt did to my main disk:
    Current Status of Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809-image.png
      My Computers

  7. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 28,166
    Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.928
       #176

    CountMike said:
    I was just watching tennis, will get on it right now, first on 120GB SSD if it works this time. I'm not planning to keep both versions anyway, just until I install bulk of SW and drivers.
    Look what last attempt did to my main disk:
    Current Status of Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809-image.png
    Yes, I know. What you need to do is delete all the partitions until you have one very large partition, you can format it, or split it into more than one partition (one for Windows and one for Data). Once that's done, choose the partition you want to use and start the install; Windows will inform you it will need to use some of your hard drive for itself. When you're through, you will have your main partition (and a second one if you chose to do that) and a couple Windows has added.
      My Computer

  8. Win7ine's Avatar
    Posts : 196
    Win10 Pro x64 / WinServer 2016 Essentials
       #177

    f14tomcat said:
    base is 17763.107
    Where do you take this from? i.e. MCTool still details 17763.1
      My Computer

  9. Dave44's Avatar
    Posts : 1,148
    Windows 10 Pro
       #178

    Win7ine said:
    Where do you take this from? i.e. MCTool still details 17763.1
    it installs 17763.107
      My Computer

  10. Win7ine's Avatar
    Posts : 196
    Win10 Pro x64 / WinServer 2016 Essentials
       #179

    Dave44 said:
    it installs 17763.107
    OK, wonder if there is any specific file/content we could look at on the Stick or ISO to verify this info prior to install?
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:04.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums