Current Status of Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809

  1. Brink's Avatar
    Posts : 57,743
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro for Workstations build 21390
    Thread Starter
       #1450

    UPDATE for Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809:

    March 8, 2019 11:15 PM PST
    Windows Update customers were recently affected by a network infrastructure event on January 29, 2019 (21:00 UTC), caused by an external DNS service provider’s global outage. A software update to the external provider’s DNS servers resulted in the distribution of corrupted DNS records that affected connectivity to the Windows Update service. The DNS records were restored by January 30, 2019 (00:10 UTC), and the majority of local Internet Service Providers (ISP) have refreshed their DNS servers and customer services have been restored.
    While this was not an issue with Microsoft’s services, we take any service disruption for our customers seriously. We will work with partners to better understand this so we can provide higher quality service in the future even across diverse global network providers.
    If you are still unable to connect to Windows Update services due to this problem, please contact your local ISP or network administrator. You can also refer to our new KB4493784 for more information to determine if your network is affected, and to provide your local ISP or network administrator with additional information to assist you.
      My Computers

  2. Anak's Avatar
    Posts : 1,277
    10 Home 64-bit | v2004 | Build - 19041.685 - See other Info below
       #1451

    Brink said:
    UPDATE for Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809:

    March 8, 2019 11:15 PM PST
    Windows Update customers were recently affected by a network infrastructure event on January 29, 2019 (21:00 UTC), caused by an external DNS service provider’s global outage. A software update to the external provider’s DNS servers resulted in the distribution of corrupted DNS records that affected connectivity to the Windows Update service. The DNS records were restored by January 30, 2019 (00:10 UTC), and the majority of local Internet Service Providers (ISP) have refreshed their DNS servers and customer services have been restored.
    While this was not an issue with Microsoft’s services, we take any service disruption for our customers seriously. We will work with partners to better understand this so we can provide higher quality service in the future even across diverse global network providers.
    If you are still unable to connect to Windows Update services due to this problem, please contact your local ISP or network administrator. You can also refer to our new KB4493784 for more information to determine if your network is affected, and to provide your local ISP or network administrator with additional information to assist you.
    Does anyone know if I should be concerned about this or is this only for IT dept's and network admins?

    Hmmm...I wonder if Vz Fios flushed their DNS?
      My Computers

  3. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 19,645
    10 Home x64 (21H1) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #1452

    Anak said:
    Does anyone know if I should be concerned about this or is this only for IT dept's and network admins?
    It affected all of us worldwide back when it started, but for most of us it was fixed within a week.

    Brink said:
    ...If you are still unable to connect to Windows Update services due to this problem, please contact your local ISP or network administrator....
    Is this still causing issues for some? I thought most ISPs and DNS servers had fixed this a month ago...

    Windows update not connecting - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computers

  4. Anak's Avatar
    Posts : 1,277
    10 Home 64-bit | v2004 | Build - 19041.685 - See other Info below
       #1453

    Thanks Bree:
    Bree said:
    Is this still causing issues for some? I thought most ISPs and DNS servers had fixed this a month ago...
    Vz is tight lipped about anything they do, I did have a check for updates and KB4023057 installed on the 1st of March and a update check today.
    p.s. Last defender update was today.

    So I imagine it's okay but still stuck in 1803 land....
      My Computers

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 19,645
    10 Home x64 (21H1) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #1454

    Anak said:
    Vz is tight lipped about anything they do, I did have a check for updates and KB4023057 installed on the 1st of March and a update check today... So I imagine it's okay but still stuck in 1803 land....
    Yes, looks like the DNS issue is fixed for you as you can connect to the update servers. The 'no show' for 1809 is a different matter and unconnected with your ISP (have you checked for the known blocking issues in post #1?). Still, I wouldn't worry about it too much, 1903 is just around the corner
      My Computers

  6. Anak's Avatar
    Posts : 1,277
    10 Home 64-bit | v2004 | Build - 19041.685 - See other Info below
       #1455

    Okay on the ISP/DNS situation.

    I've tried to keep up with the blocks and the best I can tell is, I'm not sure. Some that were there aren't there anymore and new ones have appeared.

    I believe I'll follow your advice and wait to see what 1903 brings.
      My Computers

  7. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 54,304
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #1456

    Anak said:
    Okay on the ISP/DNS situation.

    I've tried to keep up with the blocks and the best I can tell is, I'm not sure. Some that were there aren't there anymore and new ones have appeared.

    I believe I'll follow your advice and wait to see what 1903 brings.
    @Anak, I know you stated some time back you did not want to go the manual route of installing 1809. The suggestions to wait and see what happens with 19H1 (1903) are sound, but if you do have an unknown issue preventing being offered 1809, odds are you will not be offered 1903. Wouldn't it be worth some time to back up good and try the Update Assistant? Just you ensure your machine is up to it? It's just a suggestion...hate to see you go thru the same perpetual no-offer on 19H1, and stuck in1803 land forever.
      My Computers

  8. Anak's Avatar
    Posts : 1,277
    10 Home 64-bit | v2004 | Build - 19041.685 - See other Info below
       #1457

    f14tomcat said:
    @Anak, I know you stated some time back you did not want to go the manual route of installing 1809. The suggestions to wait and see what happens with 19H1 (1903) are sound, but if you do have an unknown issue preventing being offered 1809, odds are you will not be offered 1903. Wouldn't it be worth some time to back up good and try the Update Assistant? Just you ensure your machine is up to it? It's just a suggestion...hate to see you go thru the same perpetual no-offer on 19H1, and stuck in1803 land forever.
    If I use the UA and it won't update, will it tell me why it won't or will it just blindly go ahead an update?
      My Computers

  9. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 24,761
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 2004
       #1458

    Just throwing it out there. My wife's Asus ( i5, fully up to date on 1803, no known blocks) still has not updated. When I was coaching Cyber Seniors on Friday I checked several machines and they too had not updated.


    I would think if it did not update there would be some error it would report. Of course that is an assumption on my part.
      My Computer

  10. Anak's Avatar
    Posts : 1,277
    10 Home 64-bit | v2004 | Build - 19041.685 - See other Info below
       #1459

    I would think that if the regular update process or even the UA (Update Assistant) stopped on an error either one should at least point to an event in the event viewer, but in all the years I've used Windows consider yourself lucky if it even throws a cryptic STOP message.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:42.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums