Current Status of Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809


  1. Posts : 724
    Windows 10 Home - Version 2004 - Build 19041.450
       #1240

    f14tomcat said:
    @tomseys - when you say you have used the windows show/hide with mixed results (trying to follow), have you tried this? I use it and it's easy way to check for what's lurking out there without fear of anything taking off and updating. Easy to hide stuff, and/or run what it shows right from the app. Take a look. Others may use this, too. I think it is different than show/hide. x86 and x64 version, so get the right one.

    Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks
    Toolkit Item: Windows Update MiniTool (WUMT) Win10.Guru
    Well show/hide never shows me 1809 so I can hide it. The powershell PSWindowsUpdate script above doesn't show it. But its ready to download at an instant if I check for updates with metered connection off, or if i just take metered off and just relax for a while, win 10 will start download without me checking for updates. It's almost like its playing a little dirty, different than past feature updates, a real FU in a sense, reminiscent of the update thing when Win 10 came out and how it was difficult to remove or stop downloads at times. Maybe it's not that but it seems like it.

    Anyway, I'll check out that tool.. thanks!
      My Computers

  2. IronZorg89's Avatar
    Posts : 2,242
    Windows 10 pro x64-bit
       #1241

    How about checking the following two tutorials to see if they can help in blocking 1809 FU:

    How to Stop Automatic Forced Upgrade to Feature Updates in Windows 10:

    https://www.askvg.com/fix-how-to-sto...in-windows-10/

    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update & Activation:

    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10
      My Computers

  3. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,356
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #1242

    tomseys said:
    Well show/hide never shows me 1809 so I can hide it. The powershell PSWindowsUpdate script above doesn't show it. But its ready to download at an instant if I check for updates with metered connection off, or if i just take metered off and just relax for a while, win 10 will start download without me checking for updates. It's almost like its playing a little dirty, different than past feature updates, a real FU in a sense, reminiscent of the update thing when Win 10 came out and how it was difficult to remove or stop downloads at times. Maybe it's not that but it seems like it.

    Anyway, I'll check out that tool.. thanks!
    It's MS, you can run but can't hide. You shall be assimilated !!!
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 724
    Windows 10 Home - Version 2004 - Build 19041.450
       #1243

    Yeah that tool doesn't find it either.. is that similar to the powershell script? Maybe my Windows update is corrupted or malfunctioning somehow? At least as it pertains to 1809? my sfc scans are good.. troubleshooter doesnt flag anything
      My Computers

  5. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,134
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #1244

    tomseys said:
    Yeah that tool doesn't find it either.. is that similar to the powershell script? Maybe my Windows update is corrupted or malfunctioning somehow? At least as it pertains to 1809? my sfc scans are good.. troubleshooter doesnt flag anything
    It may be something unique to the fact it's a Feature Update, not a regular update to the exciting OS or a driver. Worth a shot. It's a good little app, though.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 724
    Windows 10 Home - Version 2004 - Build 19041.450
       #1245

    I think I'll just live with it. You know, it might be able to do whatever it wants, and they have all the power, but I can still meter it and watch for it to make a mistake. And I'll be ready for it when it does.
      My Computers

  7. ddelo's Avatar
    Posts : 2,229
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #1246

    tomseys said:
    I think I'll just live with it. You know, it might be able to do whatever it wants, and they have all the power, but I can still meter it and watch for it to make a mistake. And I'll be ready for it when it does.
    Keep it metered and if you want to set the update frequency of Windows Defender, in case it's your main AV, refer to that

    Windows Defender definitions update frequency Solved - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 724
    Windows 10 Home - Version 2004 - Build 19041.450
       #1247

    ddelo said:
    Keep it metered and if you want to set the update frequency of Windows Defender, in case it's your main AV, refer to that

    Windows Defender definitions update frequency Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    Yeah I've done that before but using task scheduler so it would do it twice a day. Maybe I'll do that again. I stopped doing that for some reason... maybe cause I was on 1809 for a bit, I don't remember, and was just checking for them with WD app check for updates. Maybe I'll put that back. Thanks.

    Wow so you can do it with powershell. That's cool. That's getting done. Thanks.
    Ok I set it for daily, twice a day.
      My Computers

  9. ddelo's Avatar
    Posts : 2,229
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #1248

    tomseys said:
    Yeah I've done that before but using task scheduler so it would do it twice a day. Maybe I'll do that again. I stopped doing that for some reason... maybe cause I was on 1809 for a bit, I don't remember, and was just checking for them with WD app check for updates. Maybe I'll put that back. Thanks.

    You can either do it via a scheduled task or natively in Windows Defender... whatever is more convenient to you!
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 724
    Windows 10 Home - Version 2004 - Build 19041.450
       #1249

    ddelo said:
    You can either do it via a scheduled task or natively in Windows Defender... whatever is more convenient to you!
    Thanks!
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:32.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums