Current Status of Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809

  1. ddelo's Avatar
    Posts : 2,255
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #1060

    slicendice said:
    This isn't working for me! Edge bookmarks are totally borked up AGAIN! I have tens of duplicates of same bookmarks AGAIN! I just cleaned them up on all my devices where I use Edge. I will have to revert back to Chrome. I can't find squat in this mess.

    HRPuffnstuff said:
    Same here! Edge is a hot mess and it won't let me fix the problem. My favorite browser is still FF and I only use chrome or IE if a website forces me to.

    Guys, I kept losing the Edge favorites for quite sometime. Moreover when I clean installed 1809, the backup I had made of the Edge favorites (the complete database), was not compatible with 1809 and when I tried to load it, Edge got messed up completely at a point that I could not open it. I got it fixed, by resetting it.
    So the solution I found was to use this excellent little program Export Edge Favorites, created a comnand line script to export my favorites to an html file and run the script through task scheduler twice a day (and on demand, when I want).
    If and when Edge favorites are lost or messed up, I delete everything in Edge and import the html file I exported with this tool, which works like a charm.
      My Computer

  2. HRPuffnstuff's Avatar
    Posts : 507
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #1061

    Thank you for the suggestion. Since I use FF as my primary browser it holds my bookmarks so I just export them to whatever browser needs them. Chrome is also a mirror image of them plus google reliably backs them up with sync and I manually export my IE bookmarks which also hold my FF bookmarks so I have some redundancy amongst them.

    IMHO edge is like a mentally challenged child that doesn't want any help but will throw a tantrum if you offer it so I let it alone.
      My Computer

  3. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 28,113
    Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.928
       #1062

    slicendice said:
    This isn't working for me! Edge bookmarks are totally borked up AGAIN! I have tens of duplicates of same bookmarks AGAIN! I just cleaned them up on all my devices where I use Edge. I will have to revert back to Chrome. I can't find squat in this mess.
    Thanks, Slice. I was going to check Edge Extensions out, but maybe I'll just hold off for now.

    Didn't I see somewhere that Microsoft is working on a newer browser that would be more like Chrome?
      My Computer

  4. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 23,613
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #1063

    Wynona said:
    Thanks, Slice. I was going to check Edge Extensions out, but maybe I'll just hold off for now.

    Didn't I see somewhere that Microsoft is working on a newer browser that would be more like Chrome?
    Edge extensions are broken here (the ones already installed are working, but can't install any new one).

    Bookmarks are working fine. At least the ones in Favorite bar. Not sure about other, as I rarely touch them..
      My Computers

  5. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,645
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.906 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #1064

    Wynona said:
    Thanks, Slice. I was going to check Edge Extensions out, but maybe I'll just hold off for now.

    Didn't I see somewhere that Microsoft is working on a newer browser that would be more like Chrome?
    Yes, they are going to switch to Chrome engine, but that won't solve any of the issues with Edge itself like the Bookmarks issue or freezing browser etc...
      My Computers

  6. slicendice's Avatar
    Posts : 4,645
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 Build 19042.906 (Branch: Release Preview)
       #1065

    ddelo said:
    Guys, I kept losing the Edge favorites for quite sometime. Moreover when I clean installed 1809, the backup I had made of the Edge favorites (the complete database), was not compatible with 1809 and when I tried to load it, Edge got messed up completely at a point that I could not open it. I got it fixed, by resetting it.
    So the solution I found was to use this excellent little program Export Edge Favorites, created a comnand line script to export my favorites to an html file and run the script through task scheduler twice a day (and on demand, when I want).
    If and when Edge favorites are lost or messed up, I delete everything in Edge and import the html file I exported with this tool, which works like a charm.
    Thanks, I know of these methods and tools. But because I also use Edge on Android, I can't solve this issue this way. And besides, I think it's totally wrong ideology to have to resort to 3rd-party tools to fix something that should be working out of the box.
      My Computers

  7. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 19,106
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #1066

    muchomurka said:
    Bios can boot from either Ntfs or Fat32 formatted flash.
    Uefi in native mode (Secure Boot enabled, legacy boot disabled) cannot boot from Ntfs.
    The only universally bootable format for UEFI and Legacy systems is Fat32 with the partition marked Active. That is why Microsoft's MCT makes a USB in that format, all the Microsoft-manufactured USB sold as boxed products use it, and the ISO created by the MCT is designed to not contain any file larger than 4GB. Fat32 is the lowest common denominator. Why would anyone want to make a USB that can only boot a limited range of systems?
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 913
    CP/M
       #1067

    Bree. You said literally:

    "Fat32 with an Active partition is an absolute requirement if you want boot on a legacy system."
    "UEFI can boot from anything, a legacy BIOS can't."

    Both the statements are absolutely untrue. That is why I wrote my post, not which filesystem is better for boot.
      My Computer

  9. ddelo's Avatar
    Posts : 2,255
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #1068

    slicendice said:
    I think it's totally wrong ideology to have to resort to 3rd-party tools to fix something that should be working out of the box.
    You're right Toni. I can't argue with that statement.
    But the issue remains and needs to be fixed, if someone wants to use Edge, in Windows at least. Otherwise you just drop it and use something else.

    On the other hand, ideally there shouldn't be an OS without a proper backup solution. And yet, Windows 10 backup solution has been deprecated. And even if it wasn't, people choose to use 3rd party products, like Macrium and others, which are more robust and reliable than the OS's one.
    Last edited by ddelo; 05 Jan 2019 at 10:11.
      My Computer

  10. Fabler2's Avatar
    Posts : 3,036
    Windows 10 preview 64-bit Home
       #1069

    muchomurka said:
    Bree. You said literally:

    "Fat32 with an Active partition is an absolute requirement if you want boot on a legacy system."
    "UEFI can boot from anything, a legacy BIOS can't."

    Both the statements are absolutely untrue. That is why I wrote my post, not which filesystem is better for boot.
    As I'm lazy can you give a link to your post That is why I wrote my post, not which filesystem is better for boot.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums